Abs/brake Idiot Light - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Abs/brake Idiot Light

Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #16

I have a 2nd gen 12 valve that has the abs and brake light on but i just went through and redid all my drum brakes. Ihave tried to readjust the brakes and I'm not having any problems so I'm not focusing on the lights
jared fuhrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared fuhrken View Post
I have a 2nd gen 12 valve that has the abs and brake light on but i just went through and redid all my drum brakes. Ihave tried to readjust the brakes and I'm not having any problems so I'm not focusing on the lights
Just for grins, when you first start out, are the lights off and they come on after you hit 20 or 30 MPH?

If so, while you are going down the road, try sticking your foot under the brake pedal and pull it up then see if the lights don't go out.

If they do, your brake switch needs readjustment, easy to do, pull the switch stem out a bit and re-install, it will automatically set to the correct ht.

I just had to do this on my 97 after I fixed the sloppy pedals.
patdaly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #18

I have had the same issue in my '96 - especially this past weekend when temperatures were down to 18. In my case, turning the heat/AC mode control through multiple positions (for instance, from bi-level to defog - three positions on that rotary switch) caused the warning lights to come on. Attempting to engage cruise control also had the same effect. If changing your heat/cool mode or engaging cruise control causes the lights to come on, you most likely have a vacuum problem. I don't have the FSM handy, but I believe the symptom of the warning lights is mentioned in the FSM.
texasprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
If your brake lights are not working properly then look at the brake pedal switch under the dash. When my ABS/Brake dash lights wouldn't go out, that was the problem.
X10
I replace the pumpkin sensor, traced every wire and darn near spent $$$ to replace the ABS module before someone told me about the $15 switch.
That stupid thing has like 6 sets of contacts and only one needs to be wonky before the computer throws an error.
VADSLRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VADSLRAM For This Useful Post:
KATOOM (01-18-2017)