2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Abs/brake Idiot Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Abs/brake Idiot Light

My 2001 Ram 2500 displays the ABS and BRAKE dash lights on a occaisional basis. Somtimes when cold or after driving for a while. The parking brakes are off and I don't notice any adverse effects in braking so before I take it to the Dodge dealer for a no doubt "expensive" remedy I ask you the forum for any thoughts on the subject.

Sam
The following users liked this post:
dev24v (08-06-2021)
Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What research have you done? Perhaps borrow a scanner & see if there are any codes. Perhaps search on ABS light. Perhaps replace the sensor in the rear diff if you have REASON to believe that is the problem. Perhaps examine your brakes for other problems. Perhaps check the parking brake switch. Perhaps look for the 01 FSM online. You may be able to get it free.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:20 PM

I have a 94, so my experience won't be the same. But, I can confidently say that the abs/brake light being on is probably THE most common issue, and has a real cause. It isn't easy to trace, and there are no "one easy step" fixes. Many will say to check the abs sensor on the rear axle, and they are right- but, it will almost certainly be more than that. You should educate yourself on your entire brake system, how it works, and how to replace components. At least then, you will know if some shop or dealership has a viable solution, or is just blowing smoke.
More than likely, you can drive your truck without doing damage, until you can learn and maybe trace it down yourself. Any shop is going to do the same thing, trace it down and use process of elimination. You may be driving without abs, but your regular brake system is still functioning. So, if the truck were mine, and this is what I actually did, I tolerated the stupid lights, learned my system, and then went at it myself. It turned out to be a vacuum leak. Needless to say, I know my brake system now, I know how it works and how to replace each component, and no one is going to snow me.
Do some searches on here- you will find a ton of posts about abs/brake lights.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:25 PM

If the ABS light is on and the brake light too. Does your speedo act a little weird like it is jumping slightly. This means it is the rear abs sensor that is located on top of rear axle. It won't throw a code so a reader won't tell you anything. They are 35.00 I would just change it out as 90% of the time that's the problem.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Check the wiring harness for the rear end speed sensor for chafeing near the left rear wheel.
Mine had rubbed clean through on the parking brake cable causing the ABS/Brake light to come on intermittantly.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Right that's the other possibility in my opinion but it is the other 10% of the time.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:02 PM

done sensor on 2 trucks with same probs, fixed both. most likley sensor will break off while removing so have a sheet metal screw and pliers ready to get other half out of diff housing
Old 08-01-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
If your brake lights are not working properly then look at the brake pedal switch under the dash. When my ABS/Brake dash lights wouldn't go out, that was the problem.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you all. The check eng light didn't throw a code so I will do some research with all the info you have provided. Thanks again.

Sam
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Well let us know by reporting back when fixed.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
If your brake lights are not working properly then look at the brake pedal switch under the dash. When my ABS/Brake dash lights wouldn't go out, that was the problem.
I agree
When my ABS pumpkin sensor went the speedo went also, later on I had intermittent ABS lights that progressed to all the time. Fix turned out to be the switch on the brake pedal. If it detects pedal always pushed (or switch bad) it will throw an error and light up.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM

I've had similar issues with the the abs and brake warning lights in my 95, when in 4wd and at idle with the brake pedal depressed they come on,as soon as I lift off the pedal and depress the accelerator , they go right off,I have not done any investigation(I will). Knowing that there is a vaccume pump used for the brakes and as supply for the axle dissconnect,I figure its a weak signal to a vac sensor(system thinks the brake booster is failing). like Hodge,I probobly have a leak,most likley the line to the axle disconnect. no cost to check vac.lines and clamps.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar problem, started out with the idiot lights - intermittent ABS and Brake lights - and showed up gradually in the cruise control operations. Wouldn't hold a steady speed. Speedo seemed ok, didn't notice much there. Replaced the diff sensor and found that the wiring harness strain relief was not clipped on, making the wiring vibrate/break and cause an intermittent. Fixed the wiring, and replaced the sensor anyway. End of problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM

abs sensor

Hi is the abs sensor something i can change on the rear axle? what does it look like and is it hard to get off?? please help im afraid to drive the truck cause the lights are flashing now and sometimes the backend locks up cause the pedal is hard to press down on until the abs and brake light comes back on. almost rearended someone today.

Originally Posted by BigGreen
If the ABS light is on and the brake light too. Does your speedo act a little weird like it is jumping slightly. This means it is the rear abs sensor that is located on top of rear axle. It won't throw a code so a reader won't tell you anything. They are 35.00 I would just change it out as 90% of the time that's the problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes easy to re move its on top of the differencal has a plug with a couple wires remove the screw and gently wiggle it out

Quick Reply: Abs/brake Idiot Light