2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

1999-2002 Dodge Ram Power Seat Switch

Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999-2002 Dodge Ram Power Seat Switch

My seat stopped moving backwards a few months ago, which was fine until my wife decided to scoot the seat up (not knowing it couldn't go back) and I could no longer fit in the driver seat

I pulled the seat panel and unscrewed the switch. From there you need to gently pry a harness off the switch face which will give you some trouble due to access on one side of the harness, but eventually comes out.

Now I was going to order the new switch, its dodge part# 56045025AA , it costs 133.00 bucks before shipping, but before I did that I decided to look at the switch. It didn't appear at first glance to be of the type that can be disassembled but there are little white tips that pop into the plastic shield of the switch cover.

If your careful you can ease those little tips out and pry the back of the switch plate out, you gotta be careful because there are some pretty delicate little copper fingers on the other side.

Once I got that off the entire back of the switch is frankly a little amazing bit of engineering, it's almost entirely made of copper with 8 little fingers with contacts under tension.

I got one of my dremel tool fine grit sandpaper wheels and cut a small strip out then used it to clean all the contacts. I found it best to put the sandpaper in then squeeze the contact and work the sandpaper back and forth.

Snapped it all back together, reinstalled and wah-la it's working again!

Anyways just thought I would contribute that small success story in case anyone else runs into this problem, I think it's tempting when dealing with switches to not take them apart and attempt a clean, do so for this one and save your self a 100+ bucks.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome tip, and I must say, I have done this with my window switches as they get gummed up on the dusty roads.

Amazes me how simple the switches actually are put together.