2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

12 volt plug for camper

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 volt plug for camper

Hi all- Don't know if this is the right place for the question, but I just purchased a slide-in pop-up camper for my 2000 2500 diesel shortbed and would like to install a plug at the cab end of my bed wall to plug it in. I dont want to use the rear towing package plug, in case I need to tow. What type of harness would I need to buy to run it from the engine compartment, underneath to the bed wall? Is there a kit out there? My friend had his done at an R.V. place but I was hoping to do it myself to save some bucks.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 AM

I've never seen such a harness, and an betting they are custom made. I'd go back to the RV store, and see if they have made up harnesses you can buy and instal yourself, or buy the ends you need to match your camper, and build it yourself
Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a standard 7 pin plug installed on the left side of the bed near the front. I think all the connections are straight off the 7 pin at the back, underneath the bed. If you go to a place and ask for a fifth wheel connection that should be what you need....
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
SherrifAV8R iscorrect. You can get one for the end of the cord or get a nice one that will mount thru a hole you drill in the bed wall, usually at the front left corner about halfway up the panel. Its solider and you wont have a loose cord and end flopping around.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I went to the local RV store and picked up a standard plug to install into the bed wall. Also bought a battery isolator that switches the current on from the altenator to the on-board camper battery when running the vehicle, and off when the ignition is off. It also prevents the camper battery from draining the truck batteries. !0 ft of 8 guage wire as well. Wish me luck lol!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldFrenchy
Thanks for the replies!
I went to the local RV store and picked up a standard plug to install into the bed wall. Also bought a battery isolator that switches the current on from the altenator to the on-board camper battery when running the vehicle, and off when the ignition is off. It also prevents the camper battery from draining the truck batteries. !0 ft of 8 guage wire as well. Wish me luck lol!
Instead of splicing into the harness at the frame rail, like I am guessing you are going to do. I faced the same dillemma, here's an option that I took, use the 7 pin trailer plug at the hitch and run up to the camper with the male/male harness, at the truck end of the harness tap in a four pin pigtail to the plug and run it out alongside the 7 wire, so you are still good for trailering.....small stuff anyway, I don't tow big stuff with a camper on and the four pin works out.