24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Who's got a Mechanical Belt Driven Lift Pump System?

Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[Also used in computer OVERCLOCKING sessions are:
-Liquid nitrogen
-Dry Ice
-or Liquid Helium would be pretty darn good choices to cool effectively

One problem with using any supercooling for the VP44, like dry ice or liquid nitrogen is something called thermal shock. The internal circuits in the VP will die quickly. Be sure to give a gradual cooling like with air or the fuel.

Integrated circuits are tested to failure by cycling their temperature between 150*C and -55*C. A liquid is used at each temperature and the circuit is plunged into the liquid. This test is done to decide the reliability for use in the military weapons systems and for space applications. It is one of the most brutal tests done to find flaws in a design.

Don't try this with the VP. We already know how unreliable it is! I'll bet the overclockers using supercooling liquids will have problems if they shock the CPU.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by bent valves
[Also used in computer OVERCLOCKING sessions are:
-Liquid nitrogen
-Dry Ice
-or Liquid Helium would be pretty darn good choices to cool effectively

One problem with using any supercooling for the VP44, like dry ice or liquid nitrogen is something called thermal shock. The internal circuits in the VP will die quickly. Be sure to give a gradual cooling like with air or the fuel.

Integrated circuits are tested to failure by cycling their temperature between 150*C and -55*C. A liquid is used at each temperature and the circuit is plunged into the liquid. This test is done to decide the reliability for use in the military weapons systems and for space applications. It is one of the most brutal tests done to find flaws in a design.

Don't try this with the VP. We already know how unreliable it is! I'll bet the overclockers using supercooling liquids will have problems if they shock the CPU.
Very true and good thing to point out.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Here is what I found on a real quick search of old threads

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ight=heat+sink
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Here is what I found on a real quick search of old threads

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ight=heat+sink
Great link Lary. Lots of good ideas and round tabling going on in that thread. I think everyones on to a good idea too but time, resources, money, ability, and just plain getting to it are the main reasons only a few try anything. And you cant get much in the way of testing results like that.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Great link Lary. Lots of good ideas and round tabling going on in that thread. I think everyones on to a good idea too but time, resources, money, ability, and just plain getting to it are the main reasons only a few try anything. And you cant get much in the way of testing results like that.
Oh yeah, big difference between talking about it and doing it
Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

For some reason I can't access page four of this discussion, so I might be repeating someone elses comments unwittingly.

Have any of you considered using a transmission oil cooler plumbed in series with the fuel return line to the fuel tank???? The tranny oil cooler can be mounted where you want to put it to take advantage of high air flow rtates - if needed. They coolers can also come with a built in bypass that bypasses when the oil temp gets below a certain temperature ( can't remember off the top of my head). Anyway, the purposeof these coolers is to keep tranny oil temperatures down to reasonable levels, are relatively cheap - maybe $140 or so and easily purchased - check out a large RV dealer's. If they don't have them they would know where to buy them. And, of course, an online search (Google) might get you excatly what you want.

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot cool your fuel with a transmission cooler - that is what it is designed to do :-) It might be all you need to do to keep that VP44 at a reasonable temperature. I have kept my auto tranny oil cool enogh using an extra cooler - towing RV's all over the US and Canada and to date, have not had a failure or burnt oil (dark brown).

Hope this helps.

mariner
Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Of course different companies have different applications and arrangements - at different prices. A basic heavy duty cooler would do the trick and of course wone would need to put the right sized fittings in for it to work.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...e-coolers.html

Haydon seems to be a name that comes to mind for tranny coolers as well.
Just do a google search and I am sure something will surface.

Thanks

mariner
Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM

hmmm...that's a thought
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 AM

This weekend I just replaced my VP-44 due to driving it at least a year with 0 PSI on the fuel guage. I know, I know, before people start blasting me let me tell you why this occurred first. I just bought the truck about 2 years ago, when I purchased the truck I knew very little about diesels and nothing about the VP and what is needed to keep it happy. After reading several threads I decided it would be wise to invest in a set of guages. Long story short after installing I realized I had no fuel pressure, but the truck was still driving just fine, and that was because the VP was pulling fuel from the tank. I completely upgraded all of my lines to 1/2 inch lines and went with JIC fittings. I originally ordered a DTT Assassin, but that was a nightmare so Lary Ellis and Richard from Glacier were able to get me fixed up with a Fuel boss pump only since the plumbing had already been done. I used a Kinsler poppet valve to regulate my fuel pressure and I must say I can't be happier. I am seeing 10-14 PSI at idle (depending on the temperature of the fuel in my tank) and 25-27 MAX under load. This pump took me about 2 hours to install, but partly because most the plumbing was already done prior to the Fuel Boss arriving, which was overnighted to me because I really needed this truck up and running. Since I replaced the IP I figured it would be wise to replace all 6 O-rings on the cross over tubes as well, and I was suprised at 250K miles these things were trashed. I went to Harbor Freight, purchased an O-ring kit for 5 bucks, and found the same size O-ring but was slightly thicker, put it on the cross over tubes and added a smidge of Vaseline and installed them using a homeade install tool I made from an extra set of lines I had that were no good. I am not currently using an electric pump, and even though I was planning to add one later on I am not sure if I will not. Priming the system was easy because I also added the Vulcan dual filter setup, and I just pre filled both filters and used a cordless drill chucked up to the pump shaft and within 1 minute had fuel spraying out of a cracked line at the VP. This pump can really move some fuel, I am very impressed. After install I had to initialy crank for 10 seconds before it fired up, since then it has started quicker than it ever did in the past. When I first installed the Fuel Boss I did have to adjust the Kinsler poppet 4 times in order to get the idle PSI where I was happy, but since then it's been great and I have no fuel or oil leaks at this time. I did coat the oil pan bolt threads with RTV. If you are considering going mechanical, I would say the Fuel Boss is the way to go. I was initially lured to the Assassin because it looks sexy and has anodized billet aluminum, but the poppet valve they supply is garbage and the customer service is not going to be the same service you will get with Richard from Glacier. Hindsight being 20/20 I would of never ordered an Assassin and would of saved myself a month's worth of headaches and dealt with Richard and Lary Ellis from the beginning. Keep in mind that the Fuel Boss kit is actually cheaper than a lot of the FASS or AD pumps, and although I have never used either of those and am not doubting they are good pumps, but it's nice to be able to diagnose a fuel problem w/o using a multimeter! I honestly could not be more pleased with a fuel pump than I am with this setup, it rocks!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW,just read the last four pages of posts,i think i just learned more about my vp44 Injector pump than the last five years.You guys are talking about my problem exactly,i live in Sonora Mexico and pull my 8000 lb travel trailer in temperatures from 100 to 118 degrees with A/C blasting full.My new 5th wheel weighs 11,500 lbs.My 30 month old, new/used rebuilt 1200 dollar pump had a bad electronics from day one.I have attached a thermostat to my VP44,i can watch the temperature rise after i turn the truck off and stays hot for hours.Some simple things i can think of to make the IP and engine run cooler for those of us who live in hot climates.Remove the thermostat seasonally.,take the hood liner off, idle engine when towing before turning off, don,t let your fuel go below 3/8 tank, fuel pressure at optimum psi, two stroke oil in fuel, lift hood when stopping,please feel free to add to my list.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by dennismorgan
WOW,just read the last four pages of posts,i think i just learned more about my vp44 Injector pump than the last five years.You guys are talking about my problem exactly,i live in Sonora Mexico and pull my 8000 lb travel trailer in temperatures from 100 to 118 degrees with A/C blasting full.My new 5th wheel weighs 11,500 lbs.My 30 month old, new/used rebuilt 1200 dollar pump had a bad electronics from day one.I have attached a thermostat to my VP44,i can watch the temperature rise after i turn the truck off and stays hot for hours.Some simple things i can think of to make the IP and engine run cooler for those of us who live in hot climates.Remove the thermostat seasonally.,take the hood liner off, idle engine when towing before turning off, don,t let your fuel go below 3/8 tank, fuel pressure at optimum psi, two stroke oil in fuel, lift hood when stopping,please feel free to add to my list.
So far, you're right on the money.....

By the way, where did you mount the thermostat and what temps were you reading?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
oh yeah, i forgot to mention in my post earlier . . . call DTT - they started a thread a while ago on CF putting out a feeler for anybody interetsed in a DIY mechanical LP system. if i remember correctly, they give the machined pump bracket/slider, and then you go buy the little pump from acklands, and whatever fittings/hose you need to make it work for whatever you have for tank drawstraws and filtration. certainly worth a phone call to DTT
Resurrecting an old thread... muhuwahahahaha }: )

Looking into a mechanical LP for my 03 5.9... any new believers out there? Anyone know if the DIY option mentioned in the quote above ever panned out for someone within the forums? If so, PM me... definitely interested in some leads! Also, if anyone just so happens to have a mechanical pump lying around, pulled from an old rig (compatible w/03) pm me as well!
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 AM

Dont resurrect old threads..... You'll get limited replies and most forgot what the thread was about. Especially ones this long.

You only have a couple options for mechanical fuel pumps.
Fuel Boss, Assassin, or Waterman. Couldnt say whether any have a DIY kit but a simply Google search should provide you with that information.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Dont resurrect old threads..... You'll get limited replies and most forgot what the thread was about. Especially ones this long.

You only have a couple options for mechanical fuel pumps.
Fuel Boss, Assassin, or Waterman. Couldnt say whether any have a DIY kit but a simply Google search should provide you with that information.
lol - "Don't resurrect old threads" but then when someone posts a new thread re an old topic, you get told "there's already a thread for that" and "please use the forum search". Just can't win sometimes...right Appreciate the Google advice but already beat you to it. Oh and not sure if you maybe misread the DIY comment in the OP's quote...(?)...I did not pull the DIY lead out of thin air, just following up for what it could be worth. If resurrecting this thread goes no where, I'll post a new thread, post haste and with any luck maybe avoid all the VP44 discussion...not surprising I suppose how much the infamous VP44 is forever stuck as a thorn-in-the-side of so many
Old 12-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Dont worry, you'll NEVER please everyone in these forums.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's got a Mechanical Belt Driven Lift Pump System?