24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What's inside the Cummins ECU...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Updates

I've updated my site and project log, and added a new page to track the RomRaider (ECU Editor). I've gone through the rest of the DTC-generating code, and I'm ready to begin testing downloading of changes into my truck's ECU.

Status updates at Dodge/Cummins ECU
Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting a dead link for your web site.
anyone else notice that today?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nmen
Same here.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmen
yep. maybe he was
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thundercraft
yep. maybe he was
Nope. That site is hosted on a server here at my house, but I only have a DSL connection and AT&T keeps messing with my modem. I reset it so the site should be back up soon.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 AM

Progress continues

Every day just keeps on getting better...

I now can read/write the memory, thanks to some clever hacking with the SCI routines and disabling a little 'check' routine that kept setting a P0606 whenever I would write to the tables in RAM. Time to finish figuring out what the tables do and see what happens when I change 'em.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 PM

ecu

this is some great progress. hopefully this is progressing to the software/wardware link that will let the vp44 trucks take a step forward in the diesel world. its very interesting to see what new things are posted on your site. some of them are above my (limited comp. code/writing) knolwedge but have learned from a few points. please keep up the awesome work and let the members know if we can help you out in any way.
maybe this can turn into the efi live we all been wanting for the fueling timing and rpm control.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Work continues. I found the map that generates the requested torque from the APPS input and the engine speed. I confirmed this by making some changes to it - I lowered all of the values above 50% throttle (cut it off) and took a drive. The power that used to suddenly appear just before 2000RPM was gone. Just as I had suspected it to be. For fun, I dropped them lower and tried again but it wanted to stall whenever I let out the clutch and tried to go.

At least with the SCI mod, I can just turn the key off for a bit, then back on, and I'm back to stock again.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jdonoghue
Work continues. I found the map that generates the requested torque from the APPS input and the engine speed. I confirmed this by making some changes to it - I lowered all of the values above 50% throttle (cut it off) and took a drive. The power that used to suddenly appear just before 2000RPM was gone. Just as I had suspected it to be. For fun, I dropped them lower and tried again but it wanted to stall whenever I let out the clutch and tried to go.

At least with the SCI mod, I can just turn the key off for a bit, then back on, and I'm back to stock again.
Great work! You are moving fast.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM

Maps, tables

I've added a couple of screen captures of maps and a short description of what they do, on my ISB RomRaider page: http://vs18k.dyndns.org/cecu/romraider.html

These two are related to the engine's torque limit and how the requested torque is generated from the accellerator position.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jdonoghue
I've added a couple of screen captures of maps and a short description of what they do, on my ISB RomRaider page: http://vs18k.dyndns.org/cecu/romraider.html

These two are related to the engine's torque limit and how the requested torque is generated from the accellerator position.
Thanks for explaining everything in "dummy" terms for us "hillbilly" followers. I think I am actually still following you on this, very cool! Good work.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Chapter President

If I'm reading the table right, looks like timing goes down once peak torque is reached.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
If I'm reading the table right, looks like timing goes down once peak torque is reached.
I'm still working on that table. That isn't an actual timing value, but a 'trim' value that is combined with the base timing and another table.

I'm putting together a 'flow chart' of how the final timing number is actually generated. Hopefully that will shed some light on how all of these things interact, and what the numbers really mean.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by sledcrusher02
this is some great progress. hopefully this is progressing to the software/wardware link that will let the vp44 trucks take a step forward in the diesel world. its very interesting to see what new things are posted on your site. some of them are above my (limited comp. code/writing) knolwedge but have learned from a few points. please keep up the awesome work and let the members know if we can help you out in any way.
maybe this can turn into the efi live we all been wanting for the fueling timing and rpm control.
The power available through software will never be what it is with the 3rd gens due to pump design

Bob
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by bob4x4
The power available through software will never be what it is with the 3rd gens due to pump design

Bob
That is probably correct. But this isn't all about power, it's about fun. Perhaps a different kind of fun, it is fun to me. I wanted better throttle response, better low end, and better fuel economy. I am certain I can reach those goals through software.

Quick Reply: What's inside the Cummins ECU...