24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What should I see down the breather hole

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I see down the breather hole

I took my crankcase breather hose loose at the front of the eng and looked in,what is all the wire down in there by the pump drive?
Old 03-30-2017, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
That is there to catch any oil slung up by the gears and let it to drip back to the crankcase while still allowing vapor and crankcase gases to go out the breather tube.

It looks just like steel wool, but I imagine what is in that breather cap is made from stainless steel. That cap is removable, it just screws into the timing case. That's how you can get to the VP44 gear nut, and also see the timing marks for setting your valve lash.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
That is there to catch any oil slung up by the gears and let it to drip back to the crankcase while still allowing vapor and crankcase gases to go out the breather tube.

It looks just like steel wool, but I imagine what is in that breather cap is made from stainless steel. That cap is removable, it just screws into the timing case. That's how you can get to the VP44 gear nut, and also see the timing marks for setting your valve lash.
thanks Jr I was thinking it was something like.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jigdog
thanks Jr I was thinking it was something like.
if my engine is making oil (leaking fuel into crankcase)how much diesel smell would be in the oil ,like on the dipsticks?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
If you're engine is "making oil" then you need to STOP driving it ASAP, because the fuel is diluting the engine oil which will reduce lubrication to the point of doing harm.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Absolutely, if you are smelling diesel in your oil, that is bad. Like KATOOM mentioned, fuel-oil dilution wrecks the oils ability to lubricate, putting all of your moving parts in the engine at risk. It doesn't take much either, 2% is considered high, which for our engines is only 7 oz of fuel (2% of 11 quarts of oil). I don't recommend driving it either.

If you want to know for sure, take an oil sample and send it to a lab for analysis. Most Caterpillar shops do it. Blackstone Labs is an excellent lab for this. They'll even send you a free sample kit. They charge $28 to run a sample. You'll also be able to see if there's any abnormal wear on the engine as well.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Absolutely, if you are smelling diesel in your oil, that is bad. Like KATOOM mentioned, fuel-oil dilution wrecks the oils ability to lubricate, putting all of your moving parts in the engine at risk. It doesn't take much either, 2% is considered high, which for our engines is only 7 oz of fuel (2% of 11 quarts of oil). I don't recommend driving it either.

If you want to know for sure, take an oil sample and send it to a lab for analysis. Most Caterpillar shops do it. Blackstone Labs is an excellent lab for this. They'll even send you a free sample kit. They charge $28 to run a sample. You'll also be able to see if there's any abnormal wear on the engine as well.
that's part of the deal I don't smell any diesel I do smell something that's maybe diesel from the crankcase breather. I am changing oil and filter today. I am going to try and get my oil test .
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 PM

Injectors

Three of the injectors were leaking under the valve cover replaced, problem solved starting and running good. thanks for the help.