24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Vp44 plug disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vp44 plug disassembly

Can anyone explain to me how to disassemble the "AMP" plug that goes into the back of the vp44. I know they make a special tool, but cant find any pics of it, just the part number. Will something else work in place of the tool?

Im getting the 1689 code, dead pedal, dying, bucking going down the road.

Put new injection pump on, recon ecm, checked wiring between ecm and vp44, still no fix, so im trying to check connections at the terminals inside the plug.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bestweld
Can anyone explain to me how to disassemble the "AMP" plug that goes into the back of the vp44. I know they make a special tool, but cant find any pics of it, just the part number. Will something else work in place of the tool?

Im getting the 1689 code, dead pedal, dying, bucking going down the road.

Put new injection pump on, recon ecm, checked wiring between ecm and vp44, still no fix, so im trying to check connections at the terminals inside the plug.

Thanks
more info....Posted January 12, 2013
"Hello all. My buddy's truck had the same problem. Recommend taking out the fuel system relay and hook a test light to the hot battery terminal. Probe #85 cavity for that system. Gonna be the top left spot. The light should be bright. If it's not bright, open up the PDC box and splice that ground into a GOOD ground; such as your battery. Relay has a bad ground, doesn't energize fully, and you have problems. Worked on his truck. Hope this can help save someone a lot of time and money"

A lot of us assume its the injection pump that causes this which in most cases could be. But I was doing a fuel pressure test (cranking). This requires to pull the fuel system relay out of the PDC box under the hood...
Lower left side labeled fuel pump...

When this relay is missing the VP44 doesn't energize nor pump fuel. It allows you to do the cranking test. But it also sets a P1689 and CEL light. So for all of you that have a P1689 error code present check your fuel pump relay first by trading with another relay!
The following 2 users liked this post by johnh:
bestweld (01-11-2017), Busboy (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnh,

I appreciate you passing that on, I did swap relays with the wiper relay, but haven't checked the ground there yet.

Any idea on how the terminals come out of the plug?