24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

VP44, had to re-prime for no reason???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
VP44, had to re-prime for no reason???

I went to start my truck today and it wouldn't start. I suspected it had lost prime so loosened 2 injectors to start it, then tightened them back up.
So,, unfortunately, my VP44 must have taken in some air overnighht.
This happenned only one other time since I've owned the truck (ten years).
Only, I can't quite remember where I found out it was getting air in the first time (probably about 5 years back). I think it was a little tiny cover on the vp44 (but can't remember),..and if I recall, I took it off and re-sealed it (with silicone or something???) and put it back on and it was ok after that.
Problem is, I don't remember for sure, and I'm not as young as I once was.
I do remember that I think I read that the little cover thingey was not necessarily repairable and that you are officially supposed to buy a new one for bocoo bucks.
Anybody have any input on where the air is coming in at,..and the proceduyre to deal with it???
Any help would be a big plus.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a similar problem a while back and it turned out to be a bad lift pump. i was in a bind and had to put on one of the cheap airtex replacement pumps from o'riely(sp)
Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Unfortunately what you're describing is not enough info to determine what the probable cause is. Especially if this is only the second time that this has happened in YEARS. It could be a simple small fuel leak.....or a VP computer going out.....or other VP/fuel pump/ related issues. I suggest not touching anything other than giving the fuel line connections a feel/look over to make sure you cant spot or feel any obvious fuel leaks. Taking stuff apart will possibly not fix anything and allow air in the fuel system and further confuse the problem. Wait until the problem repeats more often whereby you have a pattern of events to go by.