24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck dead - no power

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***UPDATE*** Truck dead - no power

Hi all - '02 truck with manual 5 spd started and ran fine. Came back out from store and all was dead. Dash lights, idiot lights, wait start light, etc. Radio still works and dome light still works and bright. When I turn the key to start position nothing. No lights, no crank. Just hear a slight buzz under the hood. If I turn the key just part way to crank (half way between on and crank), the idiot lights come on at times but if I keep turning the key to crank, all goes dead again. Also, this all resets radio as if battery was disconnected.

This happened a few times in the summer and after turning key on/off several times it would all light up and fire right up as normal. This summer, I unplugged/plugged contacts where possible, removed main harness and reattached and haven't had problems for at least 2 months. Now it has left me stranded and nothing gives me power. Anyone have any experience with this? Please help. Truck is at store parking lot and weather is to only get colder (well below 0 F) which may present other problems.

***UPDATE***

Went back to truck and disconnected primary positive battery terminal for about 5 minutes. Reconnected and got all lights and cranked right over just like normal. At least I have it home now in the heated garage.

Question remains - what caused this?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I would start at the battery connections and then on to the relay box under the hood for corroded relay terminals or the power feed line to it.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
What he said^^^

If it was the starter contacts you would still have all the dash lights and relays going on/off.

Check both ends and clean the grounding points. Sometimes the terminal ends allow corrosion a couple inches into the sheathing...