24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission/Engine surges around 50mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission/Engine surges around 50mph

Here is what my 47RE transmission has started to do....it's a little hard to describe. I honestly can't tell if it's trying to come out of overdrive and then drops back in. Or, maybe it's the torque converter acting up.

It gets worse when I'm pulling my 5000 llb trailer. Tranny works fine at speeds above 55 in overdrive. Also works fine below 45 in 3rd gear. The problem is when I'm cruising and the speed drops to about 48 to 53. Around there the engine surges, RPM increase about 300 RPM just for fraction of second then drops back. It feels like it's trying to downshift, but won't complete the shift. It will keep repeating until I do something to make it stop.

It does not do this as much when I'm not towing anything.

I can stop it by: (1) Turning overdrive off. (2) Accelerating to about 60mph. This involves forcing a shift out of overdrive with throttle. Then letting it drop back into OD at the higher speed. (3) Going downhill, so there is less load on engine/transmission.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Been trying to cure mine for a year. I finally got the Timbo APPs in and am going to install it tomorrow. I'll let you know what i get. But in general you are experiencing a spike in the APPS sensor probably, Or a noise spike which can cause it. The problem for sure is your TC unlocking and locking. And 50=55 seems to be the same spot for mine. Had mine checked at a trans shop and he told me he could do nothing, that it is electronic glitch in all these 2nd gens. So following this forum I have done aevery trick and mod available to clear the noise spikes. I am sure that made a difference, but the best thing I did was put in a TC lockup switch which allowed me to trouble shoot that it is most likely the APPS unit. I'll know soon.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I have 01 2500 that does the same thing, so far I just shut the o/d off for slower driving (trans has 25k on it, truck is @ 166K). I have a 96 gas 1500 that also does it (45k on trans, 138k on truck) but it is so under powered it does not need overdrive. I just thought that they were this way. My 05 does not do this at all.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, this is where you need to do a search! There is a lot written about it.
search converter unlocking, and electrical noise.
It ussually is the converter clutch going thru a lock/unlock spazim that is caused by electrical noise from the alternator. Dirty grounds etc.
Noise filters ussually solve it.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Ok, as I said on mine the noise filters helped a lot, but did not cure it. I had done the APPS resets, and APPS adjustment, so on and so forth. I just finished the Timbo APPS install, and after a few miles test drive at constant speeds of 45-50-55 I didn't feel a single unlock. The trans shifted very smooth into all it's gears and once into overdrive the TC went into lock and never glitched. As you come down to about 40 it slips out of lock as it should and you never even feel it. I'll give it some highway testing later in the week and will be taking it on a tow trip to Denver in a couple weeks. That will tell the tale. But so far I think I'm gonna be glad I spent the $165.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Ok, after a 50 mile trip this afternoon, back roads and hiway, this thing runs like a new truck. Time will tell though.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK I got one, On my 96 Dodge 46RE / 47RE?? I has been shifting fine one day and doing whatever it feels like the next. So these posts made me go look at it. the Kick down cable return spring was weak and sometimes not pulling the cable back. This makes for very erratic shifts. Up and Down, let off the gas and it would put you in to the glass.
Added a 2nd spring all's good.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Talking with some other MOPAR nuts, we found corrosion build up in the battery cables was a "factor" leading to the surging of the transmission around 30MPH out of O/D, and 50 in O/D. Under the coaxial of the wires just a little room will allow for the build up of corrosion, and the prevention of electrical current.

Just one more thing to think about in the never ending battle between man and transmission
Old 08-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j-fox
....It usually is the converter clutch going thru a lock/unlock spazim that is caused by electrical noise from the alternator. Dirty grounds etc.Noise filters ussually solve it.
Agree.... but I would not really want to be in OD at 50-55 mph when towing.
Low rpm after shift will exacerbate the searching problem.... especially if you have oversized tires??
Wind it out a little, like you would with a stick shift.
Shoot for 17-1800 rpm after the shift. More power and as you have stated, no searching above 60.

Also have batteries tested. Replace both if any weakness in either one. Electronic trannys don't like erratic or low voltage.
They all tend to search, but on lighter, quieter cars we seldom notice it.

RJ
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Corrosion and bad grounds are definitely a problem. But they can cause glitches at any speed. Mine acted up as high as 70mph. Put it ona computer while driving to confirm it was a TC lockup problem. Did all the fixes and got it down to doing it at one area between 50 and 55. I put in a TC lockup switch to confirm that was it and not a fuel miss. Every time I went at a constant speed where it was glitching I flipped the switch and sure enough, it quit searching. That is what convinced me it was an APPS problem . Put in the Timbo APPS and it drives like a new truck.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM

I had the same problem and installed a BD Diesel APPS Noise Isolator for the cost of $29.99 and cleaned the battery grounds and solved the problem for me. Didn't even have to touch the APPS. Before BD came out with the isolator I used aluminum foil and ferrite chocks and that worked for about a year.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM

I have the BD isolator and thought it was cured.It did help a lot. After a good trip decided to do the APPS . Bingo for now!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 PM

mine did the exact same thing after i had the trans rebuilt and all i did was mess with the kickdown cable and it cured it..
Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM

There is a cure for the 4th gear hunt a bypass from the Ecm to the pcm it beats spending money on a new apps.pm me your email and I can send you wiring diagram.

Last edited by baddodges; 08-09-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-10-2011, 05:32 AM

Wrap the negative cable from the alternator to the battery with aluminum foil. Cured mine. Replace the foil about every 2 years and you're good to go. If you want to get fancy, you can tape the foil up or zip tie it on, but you don't need to.

Quick Reply: Transmission/Engine surges around 50mph