24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny Gauge Probe install

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Gauge Probe install

Hey All,
I put my Isspro EV EGT, f/p, and boost in about 3 months ago and finnally got a gauge pod for the tranny ! I wanna do it in the "hot line" not the pan, in order to get the hottest temp. Question is; what is the procedure for doing the NAPA type install? I've heard of people using a tee and compression fittings inline on the "hot" pipe to the tranny cooler and put the the sender on the T?? Sound right? Anyone have pictures of this and where at on the truck/line?? The whole new "hot" line from DC w/the bung in it sounds nice and easy but its around 100+$$$.....and being the stubborn that I am....wanna try the harder/cheaper way first !! Thanks in advance! Pictures are appriciated!!
TNutcher
Old 11-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator

RATTLINRAM did his that way, and I know I've seen pics of his install before.

phox
Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 PM

Ill check on his pictures. Thanks....maybe he;ll give some info on it.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Here ya go TNutcher,,,,,,

The Hot line that you want is the one that comes out of the tranny, crosses under the trans and goes to the Heat Exchanger which is mounted on the motor on the passenger side under the turbo.

I'm not real good with the sizes, but believe it or not, the guy at NAPA went out and crawled under the truck with a pair of calipers and measured the line. I wasn't sure if it would be some oddball size, but it wasn't. I didn't hear the size as he muttered to himself looking through the little drawers getting the pieces, but I do have the part numbers from the invoice. I had to get three pieces.
* One "T" block ................................... NAPA # 3700 X 6
** Two Compression Fittings ................NAPA # 68 X 8
The "T" block has 3 female npt holes. The compression fittings are npt threads on one end (screws into T) and the compression fitting on the other. The only thing I didn't have to get was a sleeve to adapt the 1/8" npt threaded temp sender into the "T" block because I had one already that came with the gauges. Total cost was $9.76

I mounted the TEE in the line that is closest to the firewall,,,, about 4" or so before it connects to the heat exchanger. It makes the job easier if you take the line loose from the tranny and the heat exchanger (have something to plug the hole in the trans to keep fluid from leaking out). Then you can put it on the bench to cut the tubing and install the TEE. Cut the tubing so that it is the same length as it was before you installed the TEE and it will go right back in place. It's been this way for over 5 years and 104k miles. I have had no problems with mine at all even after disconnecting for trans removal to install TC & VB and then reassembly. I like the being able to see the rapid temp changes with this setup.

Hope this helps.
Dennis
Old 11-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I like the way the wire closely matches the color of the truck.

Now THAT's custom.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I like the way the wire closely matches the color of the truck.

Now THAT's custom.

That ain't nothing,,,,,,,,,,,, I found a roll of blue duct-tape the other day that is a perfect match!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 AM

Dennis,
Thanks alot! That helps alot! I had seen your picture somewhere else on this site but couldn;t figure out what all u used. Thanks a bunch.
TNutcher
Old 12-05-2005, 06:45 PM

Thanks All,
Rattlin, I did it exactly like yours was setup, real easy to do. Hardest thing was prolly putting the line back on after cutting and tightening everything up. No leaks at all!!! Yippie!! =D Anyone wanting to do it this way, its very easy and cheap!!! Thanks again,
TNutcher
Old 12-05-2005, 07:23 PM
GSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like a nice job. I bought all the fittings from a hydrolic supply place. I got some nice industrial fittings and "T", but it was kind of heavy. I thought it might vibrate on ruff roads and put stress on the lines,causeing breaks and leaks. Too heavy duty.

So I bought the replacement Cooler line with transtemp port from Mass Diesel. http://www.massdiesel.com/images/gen...r3_c1.jpgTrick set up, light wieght. Easy install . This cooler line is the best way to do it.

I just drove across nevada and east oregon and idaho desert and didnt want to worry about a trans line leak because I *econo-rigged it. opps I said the * NO,,,, I don't think you did....... because then you would have been banned* word.

Admin*Hint,,, hint,,,,
Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Good Deal! I do alot of drivin on rough roads so hopfully it wont leak any. So Far so good!! It IS really slick install!!!
TNutcher
Old 12-09-2005, 06:04 PM

Good Post!!!!!! Nice pics RR.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 AM

I'm glad I worked in a hydraulic shop. I till use a nice hydraulic pressure type if fitting. I don't know what the pressures are then use some hydraulic mounting support clamps for vibration. So the line won't crack.