24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

In-tank pump modifications

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In-tank pump modifications

I have been experimenting with my intank pump after being inspired by Glacier Diesels INTANK PUMP EXPOSED PHOTOS AND ANALYSIS.I am more than pleased with the results.For about 50 bucks in parts and my own labour i can select whatever fuel pressure i desire. I blocked the in tank bypass , and moved it outside the tank,where i have access to choosing the fuel pressure.The majority of fuel being pumped was going right back into the reservoir without ever leaving the tank.I also eliminated as many fuel restricting things in the fuel line system.For example the in tank ,in-line check valve was a huge unnecessary restriction,two extra banjo bolts where eliminated where the original LP sat on the engine,I drilled out the remaining bango bolts and went to a 3/8 inside diameter fuel line from tank to injector pump.I also drilled out a blockage intentionally designed into the return line to increase back pressure for lack of good pressure on the front end of the pump. I put a clear hose on my external by-pass and returning fuel JUST TO SEE the quantity of returning fuel.The two hoses are completely full and replenishing the reservoir in the tank. The intank stock pump can put out up to 25 psi,but due to design flaws and a misunderstanding of what the vp44 actually needs to stay cool it has failed the ultimate test. THE CONSUMER .For my research purposes i have a thermometer installed on the VP.At operating temps my VP stays about 115 degrees and is only warm to the touch ,because of the volume of fuel flowing through it.My fuel pressure has been set at 18 psi and WOT 14,I can choose to change these numbers at anytime with no effort.If your NOT trying to make a hot rod out of your truck this is a cheap and excellent fix for a big, long time annoying problem.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I will definitley be checking that out.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM

That article is addressing the 05 and up fuel system, but I see a lot of similarities between that set up and mine in my 01.

I replaced that in tank mess with a FASS and have had 16 psi of fuel pressure since, and not below 11 on WOT, which I rarely ever do.

I still need to drill out or replace the banjos.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sixslug,mine is also an 01,the only difference between the two modules is the lid,how it attaches to the top of the tank,the bottom part is exactly the same.The earlier models like ours also have a third nipple on the lid,which could be used for a draw straw or like i have done returning fuel from my external by-pass.
I bought one banjo bolt with the larger holes from geno,s for the IP and drilled out the rest.Also bought a new overflow valve because it was suspect.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM

Im gonna look into this for mine. Good article/thread!

Thanks!