24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Symptoms of Throttle Position Sensor going out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When mine goes to (idle) dead pedal, I pedal the throttle a few times and off we go. Softly by the way (PLEASE).
I was told I needed a new VP44... what?
Other than a dead pedal IT IS RUNNING JUST FINE !!!
Cleaning OK, Resetting OK... same problem.
Granted, it is a pain, but if the dealership wants to spend my money, not fixing the problem, I'll live with it until something definitive happens.
I've been living with this problem for several years and lots of miles.
Cruise control overides the dead pedal issue above 40 mph.
Running without cruise under 70 and the pedal goes to idle (dead) so I keep
the cruise on.. simple enough!
Above 70 no problem.
Cummins and the *********** havn't a clue and no one will work on it for free but me and I'm living with it... until something else happens.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pocketchange, my dead pedal only happens after I've been running for several hours on cruise, then as I'm getting off an offramp and I take it out of gear to coast to a stop, it'll happen. I'm gonna try to clean/adjust it today. Who knows??
Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wadecool,
Exactly... my dead pedal condition is to the point of being predictable.
When this pedal codition started I was more than a little upset but after some time I got used to it (in lieu of the dealership/Cummins could not assure me they could fix it but would be more than happy to take my money).
I am of the opinion the ECU has a hic-up or maybe the Edge EZ is contributing to the problem... it really doesn't matter, I'm over it.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM

I just get used to pulling over wherever it happens, shutting down for 30 minutes with battery cables off, then resetting the apps, and away we go til the next time.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM

First post.

I have an '02 3500 with about 125,000 miles and I'm pretty sure I have a bad TPS based on reading, and based on the code that was saved and read by a guy at my local Checker. The machine said "throttle position sensor".

So my question is, what do I do? Is this a part I can change myself? If there is calibration necessary, then the answer is no. But if it's as easy as changing a part, I can do that unless someone tells me it's not a good idea.

Where should I get it? I'm not super thrilled about paying over $400 for a part that is like $50 on other vehicles.

Then there's the question of this being a dangerous and possibly recallable thing... I see that Cummins themselves admit this problem here:

http://www.cummins.com/au/pages/en/p.../faq/index.cfm

Any idea if I can take this to the dealer and have any luck with getting it replaced as a safety item? I mean, it is a safety issue... The throttle stops working and I have to turn on my hazards and coast along until it starts working. I had to coast about a mile the other day before it started working again.

Other stuff that's gone wrong:

Bottom radiator hose was laying against a bolt on one of the clamps for the intercooler, rubbed a hole in it. Kind of a pain to change.

One battery almost exploded, acid everywhere.

Anyway, thanks for any help.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Acruhl, have you tried the apps reset steps? Next time that happens on the road, just pull off & try the apps reset.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 PM

I'll check that out. Does that fix the problem completely though? It seems to clear itself up after a few seconds for the most part, except that one time I had to coast a while.

I did find out that I can mostly alleviate the problem by pumping the throttle a few times while cruise is on. Not enough to cause the truck to speed up. The funny thing is, sometimes it causes the engine to cut out for about half a second. Seems like a computer bug to me.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:37 PM

In my case, it happened about 5 times in 4 days on a trip to Baton Rouge & New Orleans. It hasn't happened in about a week. But it should clear it up though. Its a PIA to just stop and sit for 30 minutes with the battery cables unhooked, but in my case, it has always started right up and went on........ til the next time. I think you are referring to APPS (what mine (01) is called). Just look up apps reset on this site (FAQ i think), print it out, and put it in your glove box.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by DuaneWKKC
Only time I ever had these symptoms was when VP44 was dieing a slow death.. Hope thats not you problem. Thinking mine is getting goofey because sometimes when I stop, idle is above 1k rpm's, have seen as high as about 1200 rpms. appears to be random and sometimes if I hit the throttle peddle 4 or 5 times it will idle down. Going to try the reset when I get time.. but my batts are getting weak also. Just dont want to fork out $3oo bucks for two optima's right now.

GOOD LUCK...
Duane W.
I have owned 3 Dodge/Cummins now and and in all three cases I ran 1000 cranking amp batteries bought from Batteries Plus for less than 70.00 each.....This latest truck, a 2001 I bought in 03 and immediately installed the big batts.....They dont quite fit as they are somewhat oversize for transfer trucks but you can easily mod the bat boxes in just a few min.......They have been doing just fine for 4 years and 230K Miles now......
Old 08-15-2007, 04:18 AM

Anyone have the part # for the APPS?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:57 PM

Sorry for Necro post

I have an '02 cummins and my problem is on a fairly flat highway between 35-50 mph the tranny will switch gears rapidly. Would this a TPS/APPS failure? symptoms are getting worse.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Gough
I have an '02 cummins and my problem is on a fairly flat highway between 35-50 mph the tranny will switch gears rapidly. Would this a TPS/APPS failure? symptoms are getting worse.
Sam, you just described the classic symptoms for tc lock and unlock. Many of us (myself included) have had it. It is caused by electrical 'noise' typically caused by dirty grounds. The first thing to do is clean all of the grounds that come off the batteries really well. Once you have sanded down to shiny metal, apply a thin layer of dielectric grease. The ground that goes from the passenger side battery to the PCM on the passenger side firewall is one of the most important grounds to get really clean.

For me, cleaning the grounds was only a temporary solution and the problem kept coming back. I went to Geno's Garage (sponsor on the site here) and bought an RF filter that is specific for TC lock / unlock problems, the filter took about 5 minutes to install and the problem has never come back for me (knock wood).

If you search this section of DTR for TC lock / unlock, you will find hours of reading. The RPM change is dramatic enough that you think you are shifting between 3rd and 4th gears. Luckily for me my Edge Insight gauge pack shows what gear you are in and I could see that I was in 4th gear the entire time.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM

I have a 2008 with the 6.7L cummins in it. Recently I started having the same symptoms. I would be at speed. Usually around 45mph (where I'm at I'm lucky to get over 55mph), and the RPM would suddenly drop to idle, and the throttle response is no joy. It happened two times in one week which lead me to install the FASS fuel filter sistem. Then a week after I finish the install it happened again. Has anyone had any luck determining the cause of these symptoms? Later today I'll try to APPS reset to see if thats the issue. Thank you greatly in advance.

Chris
Old 01-30-2017, 06:41 AM

Question Toyota Noah diesel loud sound come from engine with check engine light

I have Toyota Noah diesel van. In morning when i start engine(Idling) strange and loud sound come from engine with check engine light.When i accelerate engine sound go away with check engine light.And some times this issue come in Idle running with check engine light.
I did check for error code then mechanic told me 'injector timing error' then he ask me to clean injectors and then i did that. but problem is same. then mechanic add injector pump cleaning liquid and i did that.But problem still same.Please help me out, i need to know what can be cause for this kind of problem.