24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Sudden failure needs advice ASAP - dropped all but 1 or 2 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden failure needs advice ASAP - dropped all but 1 or 2 cylinders

Hello all,

I had my 01 2500 6 speed towed in to a shop today. So it's upfront, I want to know if it sounds like the shop is diagnosing things correctly or if i'm about to throw $3k to fix a motor that has bigger issues at hand.

Here's the saga: I've had cold starting issues, so i drove the truck to have the batteries tested at Interstate (marginal, not "bad" enough for warranty claim). On my way up the hill (maybe a 4% grade) on a main road, accelerating into traffic (say 70% throttle), I felt a "pop" and heard a "bang" like the transmission had slipped out of gear under load (it hadn't) and the truck began to stumble. Badly. Sounded like it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders. Little response to the fuel pedal, though i was able to idle it up the hill in 1st gear to get it off the main street. Let it idle for a minute, shut down, fired it up again - same issue. Called a tow and after I had waited an hour I decided to get it into a parking lot. It turned over but wouldn't fire. Pushed it to the lot with help from some bystanders.

I had the truck towed to Performance Wise Diesel here in Wheatridge, CO. Just got a call from them citing an injection pump death code. They want to do the IP and LP and a filter for $3k. They can't get it started, said they're getting 7psi when they crank it, so they haven't heard the way it idles.

Does a VP44 ever fail all of a sudden like this? I have had issues with a slight stumble at neutral throttle openings, but no noticeable loss in power, even when towing. When I bought the truck it showed consistent 3-5psi from the LP, and more recently (the last 5 months) it's been pushing 7-8psi. No chips, no air filter, just a loud exhaust from the PO.

Don't want to throw good money after bad if there are much larger issues afoot, and this is a work truck, so it needs to be back in service ASAP!

Thank you all in advance for your help,
Charlie
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If its throwing P0216 then yes its a vp timing failure...

The LP gaining pressure sounds odd. 3-5 is minimum/inadequate...7-8 ain't great either. It matters what it is at when under acceleration or wide open...

Wait for more replies, but this is what I am getting from it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 PM

VP pumps can fail without notice, however most have warning signs like hard starting when hot, rough idle, or dead pedal symptoms.. I have never heard of a vp making a pop or bang sound when it fails , unless timing was wayy off of time and injected fuel at the wrong time causing a hickup or "backfire"..
Are you getting any other codes than a dead inj. pump?
A simple test would be to crack a few lines at the head and see if they are getting fuel from the vp44, if not, check the pump gear and shaft. If its turning, a rebuilt pump is in need...
A reman vp44 can be had for about 1000.00, and about 5 hours of labor give or take..
I would ask them if they are getting any fuel past the vp44 to the injectors, and if it has good pressure or just 'drips' out of the line...
Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Best site for VP44 info is right here:http://m.bluechipdiesel.com/site/vp4...jsem581fe9kr22
Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Based on what you described, I cant say exactly what everything was but I can say that the fuel pressure was way to low for too long. If you're concerned that they are incorrectly diagnosing the VP failure then ask them for the actual code numbers and then repost what they are.

As for the pop and sound, if the VP timing was off momentarily then there could have been a disruption in combustion and the immediate loss of power could have caused the whole driveline to lurch and bang. Not sure but that sounds logical.

As already mentioned a re-manufactured VP will cost about $1000. An OEM fuel pump will cost around $200-$300 depending. I'd suggest an aftermarket fuel pump but thats a whole different topic. To install the VP will run whatever they deem their labor cost so if you dont have the means or capability to install yourself then $3000 sounds like what its going to cost. In saying that, for $3000 you better have some sort of guarantee that it starts and runs with no issues and they cant come back and say there was something else wrong.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd agree w/katooms post above, and state yes your LP fuel psi is and has been way too low which will kill a vp. I would put $ on a dead vp but based on your description it sounds like there might also be more of an issue w/the motor. Possibly try rolling the motor over by hand to see if anything is noticeable. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM

Verdict: Dead VP44, they're saying the LP is good. They replaced the VP with a Central Motive rebuilt at $1789 and $498 labor - grand total $2676 after a filter, diagnostic and environmental fee. Said the truck ran fine after replacement (I haven't driven it yet). Managed to drive the LP down to 3psi on a hill. Codes pulled were P0122 - Low TPS voltage, P0252 - fuel valve stuck, P0251 - fuel valve feedback circuit and P1688 - internal IP failure.

Shop's reasoning to say LP is good is that the LP is the in-tank pump, which is the high-volume low pressure Chrysler fix. I've seen this topic before and will do a little bit more background research.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cupressus

Shop's reasoning to say LP is good is that the LP is the in-tank pump, which is the high-volume low pressure Chrysler fix. I've seen this topic before and will do a little bit more background research.
I suppose they are correct, as those pressure readings are normal for the intank setup. That being said the intank pump may be more reliable however I believe they don't move the fuel the VP44 needs to stay cool. In order to gain more volume at a lower psi, the fuel system would have to go a major change from the stock form.

I would look into a Draw straw and a Fass or Airdog.. I was able to find the fuel module without the intank pump which replaced my intank pump. I added a big line kit and a Raptor DRRP pump. 140,000 troublefree miles with this setup so far..

Glad the truck is runnin!