24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

side valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
side valve cover

Looks like one of my big oil leaks is the side valve cover, what needs to be removed to get to it?

Looks like ecm and fuel filter housing at the minimum

Who has the gasket and is there anything else while I am in this part of the engine?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 AM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tom R,

The side valve cover is somtimes referred as the Tappet Cover. Are you able to see exactly where the leak is ? If so, it would be much easier to try and TEMP. fix the leak if you can get to it. Otherwise, there is a series of steps that need to take place to fix this leak. I've done it twice.

Yes, the ECM, Fuel Filter housing, VP44, Intake Tube, APPS/TPS, Fuel Lines (some), Crankcase vent need to come off or disconnected. Also, when doing this job it is wise to replace the Cam Positioning Sensor which sits (hides) behind the VP44!

If you do your homework and prepare properly, you can get through the process without too many headaches or hrs. Search this site and you will find much discussion on this issue from many qualified individuals that have been in your shoes and have fixed the leak.

I got my Tappet Cover (Push Rod Cover) gasket, Bolt Seals/Grommets & VP44 O-Ring seal from Cummins. I also purchased the Cam Positioning Sensor from them.

If your Power Steering pump is bad or leaking, the extra room could really help after pulling the VP44 off the engine. Not sure if the removal of the Vacuum Pump, if bad (which bolts to the Power Steering pump), with the VP44 out will cause any issues since they are gear driven. I will have to investigate before offering that advice.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the vp44 replaced a few years back with the came sensor and valves adjusted, side of the engine is soaked , ecm has oil on it top rocker cover is not leaking, it was moist on gasket but I found all the bolts very loose

I tried tracer dye a while back but highest spot was around the vp44 but near the engine where I cannot see, possible just the came sensor leaking?

Iirc it should be crammed between the pump and block?