24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rebuilld 47Re or go nv4500

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
fin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilld 47Re or go nv4500

I have a 2001 2500 47re with 230,000 miles on it and I am starting to get worried about it. shifting feels softer than normal and irregular. I am thing of rebuilding it or what would it take ot swap to a nv 4500 do to availblity nv5600 $ to high. What would you do and If swap whats needed?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM

I,ve possed the same question an everyone seemed to agree its better to build the 47re. An if its lasted 230k an you were happy with it you,ll really like it if you have it beefed up . I went with Goerend but there are lots of performace trans builders that are good I would not build it back stock . An I found that my local shops tryed to talk me into a standard build for about $2800. BUt I'd rather spend a little more now an hopefully not have to do it again. I don't know what you use the truck for or if you have added horse power or intend too , these performace builders will ask you that so they can beef it up to your needs. ITs my understanding that by the time you get everything you need too covert the truck an if your paying someone to do it you'll end up with just as much invested . An if you notice most of the High Performance guys are useing the automatics because the sticks are not fool proof some of them weaker than others an you need a beefer clutch to handle the heavy stuff an some of the 5 speeds had a issue with 5th gear . Anyway just some food for thought theres guys on here thats alot more in the know than me maybe they'll chime in .Just take your time an do your home work an you'll decide whats best for you.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I made the switch about 35k miles ago, and I've never been happier. Even with a used tranny, I ended up paying close to the amount of a well built auto replacement, a bit over $3,000 with everything, including new bearings in the trans, new clutch flywheel etc...

That being said, if you like the auto and don't tow heavy much stick with it. I do miss the auto when driving empty or snow plowing, but the 5 speed is MUCH better for towing any amount of speakable weight. 6 speed is even better for towing, but is more money/heavier/requires more parts to convert over.

Best bet would be to get your hands on a 5/6 speed and take it for a spin.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 PM
fin

i love manual tranny's not an auto guy i am still looking to info and opion's i would do my own intall due to mechanical history I don't have a place to rebuild and auto myself.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Basics you need are input shaft for transfer case (if 4x4), clutch/brake pedal from manual truck, isolater/mount for transmission and crossmember if using 6 speed, 5 speed uses same crossmember as auto.

That along with a complete trans, bellhousing has same bolt pattern. Firewall has holes for mounting clutch master cylinder, just as long as you don't have any wires running through them. Cut a hole in the floor, you can get fancy and get the outter rubber boot/console from the 5 speeds, I just used the simple inner one and bolted a cup holder to the floor behind the shifter. Some people have had their driveshafts altered as the manual setup is about 1/2" shorter, but I had no problems using the stock shafts. If you are a little patient you can find almost all the conversion parts for pretty cheap through local ads/ebay/etc. but buying it all new is not cheap.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
fin

sounds great i am probly going manual
Old 09-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by gorms
Basics you need are input shaft for transfer case (if 4x4), clutch/brake pedal from manual truck, isolater/mount for transmission and crossmember if using 6 speed, 5 speed uses same crossmember as auto.

That along with a complete trans, bellhousing has same bolt pattern. Firewall has holes for mounting clutch master cylinder, just as long as you don't have any wires running through them. Cut a hole in the floor, you can get fancy and get the outter rubber boot/console from the 5 speeds, I just used the simple inner one and bolted a cup holder to the floor behind the shifter. Some people have had their driveshafts altered as the manual setup is about 1/2" shorter, but I had no problems using the stock shafts. If you are a little patient you can find almost all the conversion parts for pretty cheap through local ads/ebay/etc. but buying it all new is not cheap.
So u didn't have to mess with the computer?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by fin
I have a 2001 2500 47re with 230,000 miles on it and I am starting to get worried about it. shifting feels softer than normal and irregular. I am thing of rebuilding it or what would it take ot swap to a nv 4500 do to availblity nv5600 $ to high. What would you do and If swap whats needed?
did u do ur conversion? How did it go? did u have any problems ?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my 6 speed, but if you don't tow a lot stick with the auto.