24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

nv4500 tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nv4500 tranny issues

its on a 1998.5 standered cab and chasse 4x4 work truck i was getting some noise like a knocking sound gears knocking each other it would do it with the clutch disengaged but not when it was engaged and in 2nd and 3rd gear if i speed up it would go away and you would not here it in 4th or 5th gear but it would come back some times in 2nd and 3rd when you would stop and take off again.I had a mechanic drive it he told me it was my clutch so had it change out over x mas and the sound is still there seems to be loader and more reguler but does go away as i speed up in 2nd and 3 gear do not here it in 4th or 5th.like i said it is my work truck i rarely pull a trailer with it i do welding. I don't beat on the tranny just normal driving. any ideas need to get back running soon. when the tranny was out i noticed what to me seemed to be excesive play on the in put shaft could bad input bearing be the problem?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Well its unfortunate that a mechanic told you something which should have been obviously noticed was wrong advise as soon as the tranny was pulled. Not that its that big of a deal that there's a new clutch in there but rather that you're obviously going to have to pull the tranny again because nothing was wrong with the clutch and the problem sounds internal. It also sounds like you're not a mechanical person who works on their own vehicles (which is perfectly OK) but this means that you'll have to pay someone to pull the tranny and see whats going on inside there. I HIGHLY suggest you find a reputable transmission shop who works on and deals with the NV4500 5 speed, not just the shop down the street just because they have a tranny repair sign. The NV4500 is very particular because of the carbon fiber composite syncro material and the brand of fluid required which needs to be used to keep them intact.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:26 PM

I figured it out and yes the clutch was wore out and needed to be replaced. The main cause was the thrust bearing behind the input shaft. was bad and in turn took out the needle bearing next to it and chewed up the end of the main shaft .which roughed up the 3rd and 4th gear synchos. I am rebuilding it this weekend. My mechanic has been at it for over 30 years and has built a lot of trannys over the years and at least a dozen of the nv 4500. And yes there are 2 recomended sythetic gear oils for this tranny. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Well its good to know you figured it out. Also, if you trust your mechanic then great but just know that even though there are two "recommended" oils for this tranny, using the OEM Castrol Syntorque was so critical that anything other than this specific lube found in there tranny would void the OEM warranty. Yes.....there are people who claim that their Amsoil or Redline has performed just fine but ya know.....99% of the time you read about NV4500 problems there is ALWAYS something other than OEM lube in there. So the extra few bucks it takes to run the OEM fluid is FAR worth it to me.....and I'm not driven by my favorite oil brand.

If you doubt my advice then take a few minutes and do a simple Google search regarding the NV4500 lube. You'll see that its not only a heavily debated topic but that its been discussed for a long time.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM

yeah that castrol was one, and the dodge dealer ship said there was another but the mechanic has the castrol on the shelf so i was going to use that one. thanks for the info
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM

any recommendations on assy. lube i heard that vasoline was good to use? was wondering because of having to use a certain oil in it. if the standered assy lube would hurt it?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure about the assembly lube. I'm not even sure why it would be needed since when its fully assembled and filled with lube then everything is bathed in lubricant. Its not like an newly assembled engine with no fluid running through it during its initial start up.

As for the lube your mechanic has on the shelf..... Make sure its the actual OEM part number since most places dont have this stuff just sitting around. No bottle of OEM lube I've seen has "Castrol" labeled on it but rather looks generic with manufacture labels. You can get the OEM stuff from Dodge and also GM since both manufactures used the NV4500, but they have their own part number. I'd have to search for the part numbers but if you look on the fill plug on the tranny there should be a plastic tag and/or sticker on the PTO covers indicating the part numbers.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM

I'm on my third NV4500 now. The first one went out because the pilot bearing seized and took out a couple of syncros (on a 3000 mile trip too, luckily I was about 200 miles from home and limped it back). Just had to replace it again because it grinds going into 3rd. Pretty sure that one was my fault since I missed a shift a year ago and it's been getting steadily worse since.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tallzag
I'm on my third NV4500 now. The first one went out because the pilot bearing seized and took out a couple of syncros (on a 3000 mile trip too, luckily I was about 200 miles from home and limped it back). Just had to replace it again because it grinds going into 3rd. Pretty sure that one was my fault since I missed a shift a year ago and it's been getting steadily worse since.
Why replace NOW with a 3rd gear grind? I drove mine for 150k miles before doing anything (it had the grind when I bought it)..... would missing a shift cause a 3rd gear grind?

Can't wait to drive my truck with out the grind though... will be nice to know how it is supposed to be.

Tim