24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV4500 cracked extension housing repair suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
NV4500 cracked extension housing repair suggestions?

Hello;

I have been trying to find the source of the transmission leak on my truck. I took it to a trusted family friend who runs a transmission shop, and he was able to fairly quickly point out what looks like a crack in the extension housing.

I am talking about the piece that goes on the back of the transmission, and is different for 2x4 or 4x4 applications.

Any recommendations on a good replacement? I found this on on-line, but it is cast and my factory part is aluminum:

NV4500 TRANSMISSION 4x4 ADAPTER HOUSING (EXTENSION) FITS '94+ DODGE TRUCKS CAST C18182 (26705) - The American Powertrain Warehouse

Also, I'm looking to see if anybody on here has ever fixed this with epoxy? I am seriously considering using some JB weld on this as a temporary repair to keep me on the road until the next time I change fluid in my gearboxes.

I have an unused marine-grade JB weld pack. It does say it will work for aluminum.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

--Matt
Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by mattn124
Hello;

I have been trying to find the source of the transmission leak on my truck. I took it to a trusted family friend who runs a transmission shop, and he was able to fairly quickly point out what looks like a crack in the extension housing.

I am talking about the piece that goes on the back of the transmission, and is different for 2x4 or 4x4 applications.

Any recommendations on a good replacement? I found this on on-line, but it is cast and my factory part is aluminum:

NV4500 TRANSMISSION 4x4 ADAPTER HOUSING (EXTENSION) FITS '94+ DODGE TRUCKS CAST C18182 (26705) - The American Powertrain Warehouse

Also, I'm looking to see if anybody on here has ever fixed this with epoxy? I am seriously considering using some JB weld on this as a temporary repair to keep me on the road until the next time I change fluid in my gearboxes.

I have an unused marine-grade JB weld pack. It does say it will work for aluminum.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

--Matt
First, since the Transfer case and thus the driveshafts hang off this housing, there is no way I would trust that the JB Weld would fix the issue. The leak may stop, but in my opinion, you are asking for it to come apart and it probably will not be pretty when it does.

That being said, I am looking for one myself, and have considered the Aftermarket cast iron units. After looking around, the only real pause I have been given is this article from Quad 4X4.

NV4500 Cast Iron Tailshaft Housings - Torque King 4x4

Now I don't know if Dan is just being overly cautious or if they really are machined that bad. I can assure you that if I do end up buying one, I will be setting it up on the Mill and indicating it to be sure it is machined correctly.

Quad is a respected supplier and I doubt they are screaming with their hair on fire for nothing.

BTW, if you do go used Aluminum, be aware that here are 2 different style housings, ours and what they call an early gasser version. The only difference is the output seal area is a couple inches deeper on the gasser version. Supposedly it is sought after for Jeep guys who are adapting a Dana 300 TC to the NV4500. My luck is my spare is a Gasser and I need the later unit.
The following users liked this post:
mattn124 (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply and that article.

My only intention of using the JB weld would be a temporary fix intended to keep the truck running until I have time to take it all apart. I also would prefer to do this in warmer weather as my garage is not heated.

I read the article you put up regarding the problems with the cast housings. It looks like it is 9 years old. Do you know if there have been any quality improvements or other vendors now offering parts?

I do not have a mill available to me as you describe above. I have a workbench with a vise and a drill..... What would a guy like me do to make one of these right or even check to see if the part was machined correctly?

I'm going to check with my local Dodge dealer and see if what parts they can get.

Thanks again,

Matt
Old 12-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Administrator

I haven't seen anything other than that article, which is why I will consider buying one with the knowledge that I will verify it before I use it.

I would not be comfortable using one unless I could check it myself, but I am also overly OCD.

Given all that, I would rather see an OEM or good used factory part for a guy like you who can't check it.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:11 PM

I called the local Dodge dealer. They can get me a new factory original part.

It is Mopar part # 5014479AA. Mopar calls it a "retainer", not an adapter or housing as I would think of it.

They want $430.00 for it, and I can find the cast parts online for under $100. But I'd rather only do this job once. And for me, I can get a 25% employee discount through a family member, so that brings it to under $300.

I'll do the JB weld this weekend to get me by, and then swap this part out in the spring.

Just for more info, here is a webpage where this is for sale:

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...5014479aa.html

The image on this webpage looks like a part for a 2WD truck, however, my dealer parts guys says he called Chrysler himself and confirmed this will work for the NV4500 in my truck.

They will have it on Monday. I'll post back with info when I pick it up letting you know if it looks correct or not.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 PM

UPDATE on 1/3/2017:

I went to pick up the part from the Dodge dealer. I refused to accept this part. I wish I had taken some pictures of it; the quality was terrible!!

I actually suggested to the parts counter guy that he may have a counterfeit part. Here are the problems I had with the part the presented me with:

1. It was not aluminum. The " factory original" part is aluminum. And with the knowledge gained form reading that article, I am suspicious of cast parts

2. The overall quality was horrible. There were what looked like accidental machining marks all over it. It was as if somebody lost their grip on this during machining and/or kept bumping it against the cutter on accident as they repositioned it on the mill.

Also, there was a giant machining defect right in the face of the output side of the part. There was a cut in the radius that was about 4" long, and over .5" wide tapering down to both sides. Looked like a big "oops" during machining that was then attempted to be blended.

There were no identifying marks on the part anywhere except for 3 letters on one tab. In my experience, there would should have been the Mopar part number or the New Venture part number somewhere on this.

I got to the dealer late in the day, and they are going to do some research and get back to me later this week.

I really, really hope for a better part the 2nd time around.

If I am unable to find an acceptable factory replacement; does anybody offer a service for checking this part as described in that article?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01-04-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A few years ago, when I lived in Colorado Springs, I had my NV4500 rebuilt. It had a similar crack in the tail housing. The transmission shop had the crack in the tail housing welded by a weld shop they sourced while they rebuilt the trans. I had the tranny back in a day.

This was back in early 2010 and about 85,000 miles later I still have zero issues.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Done correctly, welding is a good possibility.

Just make sure the welder understands where the forces applied are.

And yea, a local machine shop should be able to check out a housing for you. You want to fins a smaller, more local shop if possible, and it wont be cheap.

Another possibility would be to find a local High School with a Technical class or Junior College with a mach8ining program.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Andy;

Was the weld repair done to the 1998 truck in your signature? Aluminum housing?

I do have a couple friends that are welders; one of them even has credentials to be an inspector (CWI) and has the ability to weld aluminum. This may be another option I had not considered.

I was browsing some other website-forums, and found this place:

Dodge with Cummins Diesel

There were several members all posting about good quality for this specific part from these guys. Anybody on here have an experience with them? (I trust this forum the most

I drove my truck to work today with the JB Weld on the cracks. I can't really tell if it is leaking or not. I don't think it is, but its such a mess under there it is hard to tell. I'll put a couple hundred miles on it and check the fluid level. If the JB weld stops the leak, I'll run it this way until the next time I change oil in all the gearboxes (I do this every 50k, so at 350k I'm due again). By then I will have had enough time to decide on what way to go.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Matt
Old 01-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Matt, yeah my 1998 truck, aluminum housing. I drove it for close to a year with the crack in the housing and some RTV to stop the leak.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mattn124;3318708

I was browsing some other website-forums, and found this place:

[url=http://www.standardtransmission.com/dodge.html
Dodge with Cummins Diesel[/url]

There were several members all posting about good quality for this specific part from these guys. Anybody on here have an experience with them? (I trust this forum the most

Matt
They are good folks....... Many here have used their rebuilt transmissions, and they are the people I intend to buy my parts to rebuild the NV4500 I just pulled from Greenie.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 PM

UPDATE:

My JB-weld job was not good enough. It slowed the leak down but did not stop it. Just ordered the adapter from Standard transmission and gear. I don't think it will get to me by this weekend. I'll post an update after install to let you know how it goes.

--Matt
Old 03-05-2017, 06:11 PM

UPDATE:

I swapped in the adapter from Standard Transmission and Gear. I am happy to say the part appears to be a perfect match to the factory unit.

I am unable to top check it on a mill, as described in earlier threads, but comparing the two units on the bench with a scale look very good.

I'll report back in a few thousand miles with a final report on this part, for any others that may be looking for a good replacement and information about this supplier.

Thanks again to everybody for the help!

--Matt
The following users liked this post:
patdaly (03-06-2017)