24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is my VP taking a dive on me??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my VP taking a dive on me??

Ok, this is the short version: I installed gauges on my truck and realized that even though it ran fine I had 0 psi on my fuel, at this point I had owned the truck for a year. The in tank pump was running, and it was putting out fuel but hardly any. So I replaced it with a electric pump that goes on the block. While going to work the truck started running like crap and ended up dying at a stop sign. A few hours later I came back to it and it fired up, and I drove it home however it had very little power, I was having to take off in the granny gear from a red light. I assumed what had happened was that my in tank pump had gone out completely and the pump on the block was having a hard time pulling fuel from the take with a bad pump it had to pull through. I took the fuel sending unit out, installed a draw straw with JIC connections (I am anticipating a mechanical pump to be delivered sometime soon I ordered before any of this happened) and plumbed everything back to the electric pump. After priming the system the truck started and ran fine, so I made a drive in town and I was getting erratic idle, and it was nearly stalling and kinda getting a dead pedal feeling. I figured I must have air in the system so I limped it home, re-bled the system, and the VP was getting huge amounts of fuel to it, pressure was at around 18-19 psi. When trying to bleed the injector lines I am only getting the ever so slightest drizzle out of #1 line, and I cracked 1-3-5. I have bled lines before and this is hardly even enough fuel to see, I put a clean paper town under the cracked lines and you could hardly even see a drip on them. I pulled codes and I am getting 1693, 0370 and 0230. 1693 is a companion code and 0230 means voltage to the LP is out of range, however the lift pump is runing strong. If the VP is turning over and not putting fuel out the lines is my VP shot? I think the only fuel coming through one of the lines was caused from the pressure of the lift pump pushing fuel into it and causing a smal amount of dribble. Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Could be a broken diaphragm...

Will it fire right up without waiting for the WTS light to go out...

I'd check out the bluechipdiesel.com sight for a lot of vp44 info and diagnostic advice....
Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 AM

It was my VP, and it has since been replaced and the LP upgraded to a Fuel Boss, everything is running nicely now.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:25 AM

thanks for the update and good to heart your back up and running again