24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Losing fuel prime,,long cranking

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Losing fuel prime,,long cranking

Im still losing prime.

My '99 truck has always fired right up with little starter crank. Now it has long cranking.
If I turn ignition on and wait for lift pump to start,,then it will fire right up

I resealed the fuel heater grommet, checked all lines for seepage, checked fuel tank top module all fitting, checked all fittings tightness. No seepage or leaks amywhere

Still losing prime....

Any Help ? Any Idea what would be causing this ?
Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I dont know how much info you've already heard about this topic but the most common places to look for leaks is the banjo fitting on the drivers side back of the head and the "T" fitting just below that banjo. Other than that, look at ALL fittings which have ever been touch one time or another. And if you've messes with the injectors at anytime then it could be one or more of the o-rings cracked at the head or it could be an injectors pintle valve allowing the injector to bleed down at night. Does it puff an unusual amount of smoke when it starts?

In saying all that, when are you experiencing the "hard start"? Only when the trucks been sitting like overnight or after work, or does it do it when the engine is warm and you've been driving around.....or both? That makes a big difference in what the problem is.

And have you checked the batteries conditions? Weak batteries in the cold weather will cause starting issues.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM

Anyone else got any ideas

Batteries? batteries are new

Like I said, ive gone over the whole truck checking all fittings and looking for signs of leaks...None

Does it everytime I go somewhere and start the truck. Does it when warm cold no matter what
Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by GSP7
Anyone else got any ideas

Batteries? batteries are new

Like I said, ive gone over the whole truck checking all fittings and looking for signs of leaks...None

Does it everytime I go somewhere and start the truck. Does it when warm cold no matter what
Bingo..... Thats what everyone needs to know. Not all hard start issues are the same and understanding that your hard start issue happens all the time, hot and cold, then I think your problem is not a leak but either battery related, slow/weak starter, or the VP computer is on its last leg. I'd have the batteries tested first (disconnected and independent of each other) to make sure they're as good as you think they are. Just because they're new doesn't mean they're good since there have been plenty of bad batteries right off the shelf. Weak or bad batteries can cause strange issues because of the fact that the ISB is completely electronically controlled. Even the VP needs a minimum of 9 volts to function. If the batteries prove to be fine then you can check out the starter to make sure its spinning fast enough, but if you live where they use road salt or calcium chloride then you should pay attention to the battery cables and also the engine grounds making sure all the connections are adequate. Your truck model year doesn't have the ability to check for codes with the odometer so having someone with a good scanner see if there's any underlying codes in there which could indicate another issue, would be the next move.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
^^^x2.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Was not a fuel related or Prime, or cranking issue.
thread title irrelevant , thanks any way
Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 PM

Glad you got it figured out but.....what was the problem?
Old 01-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just for posterity, know that not all leaks that cause fuel system problems result in fuel leaving the system.

Sometimes AIR can leak IN and cause problems. This is much harder to diagnose than FUEL leaking OUT.