24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lift pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift pump issue

Im having what I believe is a lift pump issue on my 98.5. Over the last couple of days it has been getting harder to start and when I turn the ignition on I cant hear the lift pump in the tank buzzing. I dont currently have a fuel pressure gauge on the truck but will be getting one. Is there any tests I can do to make sure that the lift pump is in fact out before I fork out the money for a new one?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Has yours been converted to the in-tank pump?

If not, everyone has their opinion, but I converted several back when the stinking in tank pump failed.

Stock location on yours is on the drivers side of the block, under and back of the fuel filter.

You could crack the line to the filter and see if you get a fuel spray when you turn on the key.

I personally wouldn't drive one with the lift pump not working, too big of a chance that you kill the VP44.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:28 PM

Mine does have the in tank conversion already. Yea i have parked it until i get the issue figured out
Old 10-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyingstick15x
Mine does have the in tank conversion already.
May the fleas of a million Camels infest the soul of that Dodge dealer.........

I wish I could go back in time and kneecap the idiot at Dodge who thought that up.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not sure I'd knock in tank pumps. Millions of vehicles run them every day without issues. If it was easier I would have done one myself. There is nothing wrong with a good in tank LP, it is cooled well and can have built in pressure regulator.
To the OP, I would get a pressure gauge first and check if you are getting pressure. Of course not hearing it is a good hint. Fuse?
Old 11-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree with Paul, check fuse then power to relay from ECM when you bump starter. Jump relay power to pump does pump run? Connection to battery is good no corrosion at battery connections, clean and tight. Ground for fuel tank at frame rail near left rear tire is clean and tight?
Old 11-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Its definately not working. I opened the fuel line into the filter this morning and turned the ignition on and no fuel came out. All the terminals are ok. Which fuse would control the pump? Could be the wiring running to it as well maybe
Old 11-01-2014, 03:02 PM

try bumping the key like you would start it but not let the starter crank for more than a sec.
the stock pump with just key on will only cycle about 2 seconds. you need to bump the key this will cycle pump for approx 25 seconds.
you may not of hear the pump if you just turned on the key

it hasn't been said but when is the last time you change the fuel filter?
with weather changing getting colder, Are you waiting to start when the wait to start light goes out. Are you sure the grid heaters are getting warm?
the weather thing may not apply to the OP. I put that as a suggestion to other that may read this.

So you are saying that when you bump the starter without starting truck you can or cannot hear the lift pump cycle and push fuel? as you know just because you may hear a buzz doesn't mean its pushing correct Pressure.
But that will not be verified till a gauge is on it. you can get a test gauge cheap and put it on the Schrader (sp)? Valve.

I would double check all the fuel system for anytype of fuel leak (air).
another thing you can do once you verify that you have fuel pressure. than you may have a couple other things to look at. Grid heaters if its cold at your location and this is the reason for a hard start. fuel filter, Air leak, Vp.

if you haven't tried this you can bump the starter a few times without starting truck this will cycle the lift/p if working this would push fuel if you had slight air in system this would either show a fuel leak pending location or may make the starting easier.
also have you checked to see if you have codes? just incase
post what you find out.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 11-01-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-01-2014, 03:10 PM

There are four wires that lead into the top of the tank. On is blue with a yellow strip, one is black with a yellow strip, and two are solid black is that helps
Old 11-01-2014, 03:14 PM

I corrected the top part of my last post. it only cycles for 2 seconds with key on. try the starter key bump method . if you have not.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:19 PM

I tried your test cranking it for a sec and not starting it. The fuel line that runs into the top of the filter squirts fuel when i do that. Would that still be the injector pump pulling the fuel or is the lift pump ok. I have all the lines running out of the filter to the injector pump tight i only loosened the line going into the filter
Old 11-01-2014, 03:24 PM

this should help with wires on lift pump. (ECM)

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/ima...Wiring-Pg3.jpg

this is the (PCM)

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/ima...Wiring-Pg1.jpg

This is a good troubleshooting guide to common issues.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd...ic-diagnostics
Old 11-01-2014, 03:26 PM

well that means you lift pump is pushing fuel. we dont know what kind of pressure yet. but that is a good sign.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:30 PM

with a 98.5 you cannot pull the codes like the 99-2006 i think with the key function and dash/odometer. if you have access to a code reader or know anyone with one or with a SMARTY/Programmer. This would tell you if you are dealing with a VP-44 code that has already surfaced.
(I'm not saying your VP is dead yet.)

I didn't ask this but when you you were getting the hard start was this all during day on a warm engine or on a cold engine like first start of the day?

I'll check back on your replies in a bit. I'm at work But I will help with what I can.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 11-01-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Ok so at this point it would be a matter of getting a gauge on it and seeing exactly what the pressure is then i guess. The starting issue seems to be farely random. Couple days ago it died the first two times i started it and the third time i gave it throttle right as it fired and it stayed running

Quick Reply: Lift pump issue