24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermittant no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittant no power

I'm new to this forum and to diesels but I have a problem with my stock 2500. For the past few weeks I have intermittant loss of power.Replaced injection pump about 3 years ago (3 years) Prior to this recent power loss I ran out of fuel and discovered my fuel gauge is off. Had it towed and they bleed the lines and said they cleaned and tightened power connection in fuse box under hood. Also have code 1693. REsearching that didn't give me much. I plan on going to autozone to see if they can tell me anything on that. I read a lot of stuff about the APPS and I plan to recal that. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000diesel
I'm new to this forum and to diesels but I have a problem with my stock 2500. For the past few weeks I have intermittant loss of power.Replaced injection pump about 3 years ago (3 years) Prior to this recent power loss I ran out of fuel and discovered my fuel gauge is off. Had it towed and they bleed the lines and said they cleaned and tightened power connection in fuse box under hood. Also have code 1693. REsearching that didn't give me much. I plan on going to autozone to see if they can tell me anything on that. I read a lot of stuff about the APPS and I plan to recal that. Any other suggestions?
What's your fuel pressure? When's the last time you changed the fuel filter...apps won't do any thing for power loss just dead pedal spots.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM

running it out of fuel might have done something to your stock lift pump. definitely hook up a fuel pressure guage
Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 PM

Don't have stock lift pump, replaced a few years ago with FASS 95
Old 08-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Fuel filter changed less than 6000 miles ago
Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Just because your lift pump isn't stock doesn't mean you don't need a fuel pressure gauge. You've either got a plugged filter or the pumps bad or weak,you could have picked up sediment from the tank being sucked dry thus plugging the filter.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM

That is good information thanks. When I asked around about gauges when the FASS was installed I got conflicting info. Any suggestions on what type and best way to connect? Because I am not a hardcore diesel guy I figured if a gauge was that crucial it would have come stock, so I move slowly if not sure of something. I have made a lot of bad assumptions about these diesels or maybe the dodge diesel. I concur I need a cage. Is it necessary to have it installed in the cab? Any suggestions? I appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

not necessarily in the cab, but it is the best place to keep a constant eye on it. mine might have a different fuel filter housing than yours cause mines a 99, but on mine there's two plugs on top of the filter housing (one pre-filter and one post-filter I think ). if your's is like that you could put a mechanical guage right there. the best spot for the fuel pressure guage is definitely after the filter... cause it will kinda indicate when you need a filter change too.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM

2000 not like that, that sounds convenient. I think there is a port on the bottom side of the inj pump. Is that a good spot. Is that a schrader type valve or what? If so is there a common fitting that screws on to that with 1/8 inch tubing or electridal sensor. Of course that was another question I had, what is best mechanical or electrical. Is the electrical dependable? I'm thinking stay with mechanical and stay in the eng compt.
Boss if you want to know the truth on this problem because of the way it acts I think the turbo is not kicking in. But since I know less about turbos than I know about diesels I don't know. But thanks for your help anyway. Is autozone a good place to buy a fuel gauge?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:27 PM

Well mines electric cause I have the edge and my guage is on the display...but I believe mechanical is the better way to go. autozone carries gauges. The Schrader valve would work but here's a link you should read first

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...l-t253897.html

It doesn't sound like a turbo problem from what I've read so far...does it blow black smoke? is it slow to rev? what does it exactly do? I may or may not be able to help you much, but somebody eventually will... there's some really smart guys on here that work on these things for a living
Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM

No blacksmoke and would not say it rev's slowy. Thanks for th pic link. I ran an errand yesterday and tried to focus on symptoms more. Seemsto run fine on side roads. Get up on highway in overdrive and that is when problen shows up. f I start to climb an incline RPM will begin to drop. Push down on peddle and I get soft mushy response, hence lack of power. Drop below 45 mph and will dwn shift to hold speed. Sometimes it will catch and try to take off. When it happened yesteray it began to "buck" a little. I haven't replced fuel filter yet,but will be able to get into town and get one today. That maybe all it is. Will advise when done. I am busy building my house and haven't taken he time I need to isolate and fix. My truck is my tool an I don't have time to stop and fix my tool. If low fuel flowis theproblem I hope that will not cause the vpp to get damaged before I correct. Is that a possibility???????????
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM

unfortunately yes the vp44's are pretty tempermental and low fuel pressure will damage them
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Times two a fuel pressure gauge is cheep insurance and proven many factory vp44 live long lives properly monitored
Old 08-29-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
X3 FP gauge.
I didn't want to stick anything in the cab so mine connects right at the filter housing in the after filter port. Simple setup and I can easily see what the pressure reads before and after changing the filter.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM

Changed fuel filter. Wasn't bad at all.did not make any difference. Went to Autozone to puul codes. I have a P0236..bad MAP sensor. Tried to buy one and their computer said the 2000 does not have a MAP sensor, but they did have a "turbo sensor" one with a round connector and one with a square connector. Wasn't sure at that point so went over to a local mechanic. I will have him diagnose and install whtaever sensor I need and also install a $59 glowshift fuel pressure gauge.

Quick Reply: Intermittant no power