24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installed a steering box stabilizer.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Installed a steering box stabilizer.....

Having dealt with a slight pull to right for the past dozen years and trying just about anything I can alignment wise to stop or lessen the tug, I was reading some threads about installing a steering box stabilizer. It seemed most people described the change in steering habits to be tremendous after installing one so my curiosity was up. But.....I didn't care to spend over $200 for one either so I started shopping around and looking for thread links and eventually came up with this. 94-02 Dodge Steering Stabilizer | Dodge Steering Stabilizer | Dodge Ram Stabilizer About half the cost, is tubular, with the support plate extending over the square tube, and very well built. Some of the cheaper cost versions have varying less quality construction reasons why I didnt want them. This one is truly a quality looking product.

Installation was pretty quick and straight forward. The only problem was my torque wrench doesn't go up to 185 foot lbs so I had to set it at 150 lbs and then give it a little snugging up with a large wrench.

Well after installing I have to admit I was very anxious to see if it made that huge difference people were raving about and.....it did help but I wont chalk it up as huge by any means. The overall steering seems tighter and the pull seems "slightly less" and less affected by the crown but thats it. It still wants to follow the crown. I know tires with 3/4" of rubber lug will never feel "tight" on the road either so maybe my expectations were too high.

No matter, I'm glad I invested in it simple because of the lateral strength it will offer the steering box and the added frame support in that area. I think at this point if I feel like trying more then I may look at my over-center adjustment screw and at a later time, I may install the newer inverted "T" tie-rod from the 3rd gen trucks.

I cant complain though because it does steer nice, especially after changing the PS fluid to a full synthetic and adjusting the caster full forward.....

Dont be fooled by the picture. I had to look way under the front end to get this photo. The Sport front bumper hangs down low enough that its not visible unless you're looking under there for it. And I just stuck the sticker on there too. I may remove it if I get tired of the shiny reflection peeking out from there since I'm not much on bling.

Name:  IMG_0026_zpsd053106b.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0027_zps89a1473b.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  80.1 KB
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great. great pix. I been wanting to do this to mine, but didn't know how it bolted on. Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I feel the same way, a bit of improvement, but not the revolutionary spasm of excitement some claim to have felt....

Mine doesn't pull. It has just always felt like it should be a little more responsive than it ever has been.

Nice piece, looks like quality!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM

when i did mine I did the Steering shaft stabilizer, adjust trac bar, new steering pump and shaft and at the time the older HD 98 steering tie rod set up. alignment new tires and i saw night and day diff. I had around 4-7 inches of steering wheel play without it actually moving anything. everything was wore out bad before all of this. I think alone the shaft stabilizer will help some. But since i have the lift and size of tires i did all of this. the next thing is to do the rock solid steering bushing fix.

you did pay alot less than i payed for mine long ago since the one i bought is the original company to make these. That is a great price.
I recommend the 3rd gen style steering set up. If you haven't seen it yet I did a thread 2 years ago i think when i put it on my truck with pics.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this one from Big D Off Road.

Better design

http://www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/
Old 02-15-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by GSP7

Better design

I'm not sure why a single plate would be better than a square tube? Especially since the support plate for the box shaft bearing is bent which can only mean that under stress that bend will flex. Does any car manufacture use "L" plate frame designs or are most channel with all the strongest frame designs being box or tubular? At least thats the way I see it.....
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by GSP7

Better design

I don't know if it's better, but at 1/4" it's plenty stout enough to brace the frame and box...

Good price, too!

I got Darin's original design and a guy on here attached a 2" receiver to it for a front mounted hook/ball a while back...
Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Thats interesting. I'm not sure how strong those four mounting bolts are for something like that so I wonder how well that worked out or what connects to that receiver.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
These do improve steering feel a bit but they wont correct all the issues you might be having. You might have other worn out parts ie tie rods, worn out bushing/ball joint on track bar, loose ball joints, worn out steering box.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:40 AM

when i first put on my borgenson shaft/pump we had to cut and move the plate the bearing is on. but now i guess people buy DSS and borgenson pumps and dont have that issue.

a person could but any of these units and if you think its weak being just a single plate. you could always fabricate some support pieces on the plate so it would not bend or twist etc.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
when i first put on my borgenson shaft/pump we had to cut and move the plate the bearing is on. but now i guess people buy DSS and borgenson pumps and dont have that issue.

a person could but any of these units and if you think its weak being just a single plate. you could always fabricate some support pieces on the plate so it would not bend or twist etc.
The manufacture where I purchased mine has the same brace but fits trucks where guys installed a Borgeson box. So in regards to what you had to do, I'm not sure about any of the other braces and whether they offer a alternate version or not.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Thats interesting. I'm not sure how strong those four mounting bolts are for something like that so I wonder how well that worked out or what connects to that receiver.
I kinda wondered about that too....

It was in another steering stabilizer thread on here some time ago...I just remember seeing that a guy wanted to add a receiver to it and some of the members thought it would work...

Either way, the brace is a good addition to prolong the life of the front end stuff.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Didn't do anything for mine. Except mentally fixing things.