24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ice in block

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ice in block

.OK so big problems,I have let my 24 valve sit for a year since I've had a bunch of work done to it.1 of which was having a new rad put in&I guess they used water & not cooloant.Well last I started it it ,it sounded good so I let it sit till I could get to it.However I had to steal the starter off of it for my other truck & today I went & to borrow the rad cap & saw the rad was full of ice slurry.I pulled the lower rad hose on pass side slushy ice & water ran out & then I pulled the t-stat & it was ice underneath.Its suppose to get up to 41 today so I plan to leave all I can open.
But since I have no starter on there I can't fully flush it.Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I guess best bet may be to leave it plugged in overnight, then open everything possible to get the old water out. Maybe refill with 75/25 coolant/water? Really won't be able to flush everything without starting it though.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by gorms
I guess best bet may be to leave it plugged in overnight, then open everything possible to get the old water out. Maybe refill with 75/25 coolant/water? Really won't be able to flush everything without starting it though.
yeah one problem is the block warmer does not work.That was my 1stime thought.,thought about running a torpedo heaterms in front of it.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
One thing you don't want to do is use the block heater without it being full of coolant. I would first start the truck and run for several minutes to warm and to mix up anything that may be sitting in the block. I would not worry about the torpedo heater you will do much better running the engine.

Then pull the bottom hose and drain, if it looks poorly I would flush the system. Then refill with a good quality antifreeze and test it.

You don't state where you live but I am guessing somewhere down south. If that's the case I highly dought you did any damage to your engine. My experience with the 5.9 and people leaving them with water yields busted heater cores and expansion plugs that push out.
The following users liked this post:
Russ Roth (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by deere country
One thing you don't want to do is use the block heater without it being full of coolant. I would first start the truck and run for several minutes to warm and to mix up anything that may be sitting in the block. I would not worry about the torpedo heater you will do much better running the engine.

Then pull the bottom hose and drain, if it looks poorly I would flush the system. Then refill with a good quality antifreeze and test it.

You don't state where you live but I am guessing somewhere down south. If that's the case I highly dought you did any damage to your engine. My experience with the 5.9 and people leaving them with water yields busted heater cores and expansion plugs that push out.
Thanks but like I said I had to steal the starter off of the truck so I can't start it to run it to flush it properly
Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Well I think I would buy a new starter versus taking the risk of breakage. If you do not circulate your coolant system you will leave water sitting where you don't want it to be their simply is no other way to put it.

Simply pulling the bottom hose will leave water in the block unless you can rotate the truck or engine like an empty beer can. Their will be water left in the block. Will it break something? maybe, maybe not, is it work the risk? Frozen water can do more damage than any hammer and anvil ever could. Your choice not mine. If its a manual truck pull start it or buy another starter.
Russ Roth (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Either plug in an electric heater set under the engine or get one of those propane space heaters and point at the front of the truck for a few hours.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Pressurize that crap with compressed air/leaf blower, shop vac... something. I agree with buying a starter... what do you want? 200 bucks for a starter or a cracked block?
Russ Roth (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Pressurize that crap with compressed air/leaf blower, shop vac... something. I agree with buying a starter... what do you want? 200 bucks for a starter or a cracked block?
The problem is that I'm very ill @ the moment not like flu I'll etc but really messed up.I do chops&custom motorcycle fab etc & I've had to quit working.No insurance@ the moment wife just took a 400 a week pay cut & a 2000 bonus every 3 mos they also took away.1 of my inhalers alone cost 362.00 for 15 days.So anyways $ is tight that's why I stole the startery off of the 24 to put on my 12.Im hoping to have all of these other issues taken care of ins & such by next month.Then I can finally get back to it,I have a chop actually two & few frames I need to finish plus my race car etc.Anyways I did however seem to have drained the block it appears there was just enough coolant in it.I'm still going to try to get my partner over here to pull starter from 12 to crank 24 then back to 12 till some cash free's up.I wish I would have known he didnt put enough coolant in it, but it is still my fault .
Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry to hear you're not well, along with the other stuff... I hope things look up for you soon.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Sorry to hear you're not well, along with the other stuff... I hope things look up for you soon.
Thanks it'll all come together somehow.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you had slush in the block you probably are alright. There might have been enough antifreeze to keep if from going solid and cracking anything.
If you have 40 degree weather put a gallon of straight antifreeze in and try to get it started as soon as possible. The antifreeze will infuse through the system slowly by itself but a little pump action would be the best.

If nothing else is possible cover the hood in blankets and put in one or two 100 watt drop lights under the hood. It will at least keep the engine compartment about freezing.