24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Heater Control Temperature Selector? - Replacing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater Control Temperature Selector? - Replacing Coolant

Im reading how to drain to coolant out of my CDT since I had to replace the water pump.

1. Start the engine and replace the heater control temperature selector in the full on position. vacuum is needed to actuate the heater controls
2. Turn the ignition off
3. Do not remove the radiator cap when draining coolant from reserve/overflow tank. Open radiator drain plug and when tank is empty, remove radiator cap. If the coolant reserve/overflow tank does not drain. The coolant need not be removed from tank unless the system is being refilled with fresh mixture.
4. Remove radiator pressure cap.

My question is....where and how do I turn on the "heater control temperature selector in the full on position" ?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
They're referring to the temperature control **** in the cab. Turn it to full heat with the engine running.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 PM

some times the simplest things kill me.

I dont think its possible to install a water pump backwards is it?
I replaced the water pump and its taking a really long time to create heat.
I finally got the temp up to 170 but the top radiator hose and the radiator itself is still very cool. Is this because the thermo has not opened yet? What temperature is it suppose to open?

And also where is the drain valve for the radiator. I looked all along the bottom but I didnt see it anywhere.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 AM

Sounds like you have air in the system, the best way to eliminate it is to remove the 3 bolts holding the thermostat housing (the thing connected to the upper rad hose, engine side) lift out the themostat, it has a rubber gasket around the thermostat which can be re-used if in good condition, make note of which side goes down into the coolant(should be the bigger bass end) fill the coolant thru the thermostat hole, right to the top, re-install the thermostat, open the rad cap and top it off, you should be good to go
drain valve is lower rad in the plastic tank viewed from under the truck on the drivers side, rotate it 90 degrees and pull out as you do it, dont bust it off. I perfer to remove the lower hose as your less likely to break/damage the drain valves (20yrs experience in that dept)

Why did you replace the pump anyway? leaking? bearings?