24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!
View Poll Results: Has your 53 block ACTUALLY cracked
I have a 53 block and it cracked
11.34%
I have a 53 block and its NOT cracked
47.77%
I have a 53 block that cracked but cummins took care of it
1.42%
I dont have a 53 block but I like to vote anways
39.47%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Has Your 53 Block Actually Cracked - Vote

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems so far 250K miles

Ok I looked and I DO have a 53 block. I have used this truck in some truly nasty tows and never had any problems to date. I know it has been hot, I towed out of Bishop California north. This is the nastiest climb I've ever seen, starts at 4600' and in a straight-shot 6% grade it climbs to 8600' no turns and no let up for close to 10 miles. There may be tougher climbs in the Rockies, I don't know. I've never had a problem. I have done this every year for 7 years. Grapevine many times towing a 10K pound 5th wheel.
I just hope it stays that way.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Want one worse, go out of VanCoover in BC, head north, it goes, no turns, from 300 foot to 8400 or thereabouts. That is coming out of Kamloops. My spellings may be terrible. Of course you are light compared to my tows.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Want one worse, go out of VanCoover in BC, head north, it goes, no turns, from 300 foot to 8400 or thereabouts. That is coming out of Kamloops. My spellings may be terrible. Of course you are light compared to my tows.
Why didnt you stop in and say hi ?? Ya probably drove right past me.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:03 PM

Welded the block,

Hi I just found out I have the 53 block, .
When he welded his 2 was it labor intensieve, pretty simple, could joe schmo do it?
Im not sure what Im going to do with the truck now,, I feel like selling it but if I know its not a big deal to weld him up well that may change my attitude about it,, Thanks,,

Originally Posted by kas83
I just purchased a 97, and haven't had any direct experience with this, but my previous boss had two 99's with 53 blocks that were used daily to pull enclosed trailers, and both cracked this past winter. One let loose in early January, the other in late February. Both trucks had over 200k miles, I don't know the specifics though. Being the guy he is, he simply welded the blocks and put em back to work. I haven't heard much of it since, but did see one of the truck getting flogged around town. I doubt it's the fix Cummins had in mind, but the trucks are still making him money, so more power to him.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Oh yea, 141k stocker, live in Boise, don't or have'nt towed a lot, not to many unfriendly hills, no crack, fingers, legs, hair, (eyes of corse) crossed!!
Thanks to "Haulin_in_Dixie" Great (if true) imput!!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 PM

What do you mean "if true"???

What possible motive would he have for lying about this?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Why didnt you stop in and say hi ?? Ya probably drove right past me.
Did not know you or of you then, last time I was there was 1996 coming back from Alaska.

And the guy questioning the "truth" I did not say anything except to add to a little reasoning as to why the problem. The problem is there like it or not. Weld a cracked block, sure go ahead. Want another one to weld, I'll give you one. The blocks are defective, welding will not help that.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 PM

No, no not him "being truthful", I was (poorly) refering to the information his disscussion produced w/ the cummins guy, see below.
Thanks for the correction, and watchfull eye, Sorry for my screwup.

The subject of the cracked 53 blocks was discussed at length. At first he seemed to not realize that there was a problem with them. Then he said "Oh you mean the Afganistan crack." Seems that they have done some investigating on the fact that in the mountain of Afganistan they have a hard time keeping the blocks from cracking. It has to do with the temperature of operation and the hills. Seems that at the right temperature, after climbing a hill where the engine heats up quickly, then getting to the crest of the hill, the engine cools rapidly and flexes the joint at the top of the depression in the block cracking it.

So they are fully aware of the cracking, even though Cummins will quickly say that yours is the only one they have seen. Yep, short memories. If they werre not aware of it they would not have a standard 100k free replacement. This problem led to a stronger block from Mexico where the 53 block was cast thinner to save weight. My guess is that if you live in the flats and do not get the engine too hot, no problem. My towing in Alabama was not good for them. I might add that both blocks cracked in the winter, when the engine would lower in temperature cruising and then heat up on a pull.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 PM

I tow my 5vr with the boat behind (total 9k lb) up the 395 past Bishop to Bridgeport, CA 2 to3 times a year. OZOB NOSPEJ is right, there are 3 monster summits you have to go over. I also go over the Grapevine on my way to Chico, CA with my 5ver and a U-Haul trailer behind it (my son goes to Chico State). 53 stamped on side of block, 51,000 mi, and no leaks.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 PM

me and my two buddies all have 99's (one Red, one white, mine blue - which is bad (edit) when cruising on the 4th! We also got all three cab/bed configurations between the three of us.) Among other things in common these trucks ALL have 53's above the oil pan. one's almoast 300k, the other two are 130k or so miles and no cracks. also one of the 130's has been up to 638hp with bully 8's, drag comp, hot rod and big bell turbo for at least 2 years of its life and still no problems. They all work too, not just cruisers they pull drag and tow some. I think its very very rare to have one crack on you (sorry to those who's block(s) have cracked) So it wont bother me at all cuz worrying gets you nowhere and does nothing good for you.
TNutcher

Last edited by John_P; 01-27-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Language
Old 07-20-2007, 04:52 AM

Congratulations. I know of about 8 of them personally in the Birmingham area. you are right, worrying will change nothing.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Right now 14 out of 96 blocks reported a crack. that is a 14.58% failure rate. this is a very small sample out of the thousands of #53 blocks. We would have a better idea if the sample group was 500 or more, but I've seen reports with a smaller sample group telling me I was going to die tomorrow if I drank to much coffee. Let's get this thread highlighted so that more people see it and respond.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 PM

My " 53 " cracked while under warranty---dealer had Cummins to do the job---came back with a " 56 " block
Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 PM

Enough of this, convence yourself that there is no problem if you want. I have no idea of what "better idea" there is. The blocks are weak and a 53 block stands a good chance of cracking. Goodness..... 14 percent, is not a problem???? Time to move on to a rational thread....
Old 07-21-2007, 11:25 AM
xmr

mine was cracked when I bought it at 182,000 the crack was hidden behind a thick layer of black epoxy. I wound up having to relace the motor with one from a wrecked truck and that solved the problem but added $3400 to the price of the truck..

Quick Reply: Has Your 53 Block Actually Cracked - Vote