24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!
View Poll Results: Has your 53 block ACTUALLY cracked
I have a 53 block and it cracked
11.34%
I have a 53 block and its NOT cracked
47.77%
I have a 53 block that cracked but cummins took care of it
1.42%
I dont have a 53 block but I like to vote anways
39.47%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

Has Your 53 Block Actually Cracked - Vote

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cracked at 172000, All stock
Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 98.5 24v has 151k no cracks and fingers crossed ??? for ya all is it possible to swap a 12v shortblock in if it does crack? I paid 6g for this truck with 100k on it and have very little invested at this point I have seen running 12v engines for 1200.00.seems if this would work a affordable way out.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Ive been saying this ALL along - but the problem is that many people dont WANT to believe its a problem. Its just easier to say "Its not going to happen to me".

Read the posts here. As these engines get more and more miles on them, I see more cracked blocks.

JMO, FWIW.
exactly. It is not hard to source a truck with a different block, and to be honest the price doesn't seem to be affected much if at all from the people that do have the 53 blocks. So if it takes me another couple months to find one with a different block, so be it, i'd rather not take the chance of having the headache down the road.

The only thing it tells me when people post up "xxx,xxx miles, no cracks", is that you just haven't had to go through a bottle of tylenol yet , keyword being yet . I think it is fairly obvious at this point that it is a conditional thing and that there really is not an estimated time/mileage that it happens, but that it does happen and probably will happen to everyone that has one, at some point.

It should also be kept in mind that this forum is a very small minority of the CTD owners out there. In my mind this poll isn't worth the server space it's taking up because while maybe the majority of forum members don't have a problem with the block, that might just mean we have an over abundance of lucky people and the rest of the owners aren't here to voice their opinions .
Old 05-26-2007, 01:36 PM

i had 184k on mine runnin 41 psi everyday and no cracks
Old 05-26-2007, 04:19 PM

180+ thousand miles with a power puck now and no issues, knock on wood. But you never know..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:26 AM

No cracks

98 12V 160K 5speed 4X4 QC LB
Old 07-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
up to 220k runnin the ez and 22lbs boost and no cracks...lift pumps, but no cracks..
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Maybe Haulin In Dixie will chime in.....he had TWO that cracked.

Everydaydiesel - if you are seriously in the market for a CTD - search until you find one without a 53 block. Its just too expensive and too big of a hassle to fix it if it does crack. Why put yourself through that?
Yep, the original cracked, replaced by Cummins, a couple of hundred k later, I replaced the engine with one that the seller ground the #53 off. It too cracked.

You could not give me one....
Old 07-17-2007, 02:06 PM

I have to poop
Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
You could not give me one....
HA! I feel the same way! I didn't take it seriously and thought it couldn't happen to me...what a mistake. It is simply not a risk I would knowingly assume again. It was only after it cracked that I found out through my own research how wide spread the problem really is. Ignorance is bliss. It seems the 53's have cracked in every application they have been installed in other than our trucks. Representitives of Cummins and DC either pretend (or truly don't know) they don't know about the problem or really down play it as a rare occurance (which it is not). A cracked 53 is not rare at all.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JHew84
The only thing it tells me when people post up "xxx,xxx miles, no cracks", is that you just haven't had to go through a bottle of tylenol yet , keyword being yet . I think it is fairly obvious at this point that it is a conditional thing and that there really is not an estimated time/mileage that it happens, but that it does happen and probably will happen to everyone that has one, at some point.
I have been saying that all along and I couldn't agree more.....well put.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM

I have a 99 with a little over 120,000 miles and not crack.

Truthfully I knew nothing about the 53 block when I bought my truck. I read about it and went outside at midnight with a flash light to check (keeping fingers crossed the enitre time lol) and saw the "53" on the drivers side.

Really though I dont care if it happens im just gonna fix it and keep driving it. I love my truck and wouldnt trade it for anything.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM

where is it stamped? Where does it happen?

I have a 98.5, Earliest 24V. I've had no problems to date 250K miles. Where is the block marked? where have they been cracking? So I guess I have to say I don't know if I have a 53 block!
Thanks for the info
Old 07-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can add a little information on this problem. The last B engine that I bought was from a Cummins engineer in Columbus Georgia. Being a natural born Dodge fanatic, I proceeded to bleed him for any information that I could get, from the horses mouth as it was.

The subject of the cracked 53 blocks was discussed at length. At first he seemed to not realize that there was a problem with them. Then he said "Oh you mean the Afganistan crack." Seems that they have done some investigating on the fact that in the mountain of Afganistan they have a hard time keeping the blocks from cracking. It has to do with the temperature of operation and the hills. Seems that at the right temperature, after climbing a hill where the engine heats up quickly, then getting to the crest of the hill, the engine cools rapidly and flexes the joint at the top of the depression in the block cracking it.

So they are fully aware of the cracking, even though Cummins will quickly say that yours is the only one they have seen. Yep, short memories. If they werre not aware of it they would not have a standard 100k free replacement. This problem led to a stronger block from Mexico where the 53 block was cast thinner to save weight. My guess is that if you live in the flats and do not get the engine too hot, no problem. My towing in Alabama was not good for them. I might add that both blocks cracked in the winter, when the engine would lower in temperature cruising and then heat up on a pull.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I can add a little information on this problem. The last B engine that I bought was from a Cummins engineer in Columbus Georgia. Being a natural born Dodge fanatic, I proceeded to bleed him for any information that I could get, from the horses mouth as it was.

The subject of the cracked 53 blocks was discussed at length. At first he seemed to not realize that there was a problem with them. Then he said "Oh you mean the Afganistan crack." Seems that they have done some investigating on the fact that in the mountain of Afganistan they have a hard time keeping the blocks from cracking. It has to do with the temperature of operation and the hills. Seems that at the right temperature, after climbing a hill where the engine heats up quickly, then getting to the crest of the hill, the engine cools rapidly and flexes the joint at the top of the depression in the block cracking it.

So they are fully aware of the cracking, even though Cummins will quickly say that yours is the only one they have seen. Yep, short memories. If they werre not aware of it they would not have a standard 100k free replacement. This problem led to a stronger block from Mexico where the 53 block was cast thinner to save weight. My guess is that if you live in the flats and do not get the engine too hot, no problem. My towing in Alabama was not good for them. I might add that both blocks cracked in the winter, when the engine would lower in temperature cruising and then heat up on a pull.
this is excellent info!
thanks

Quick Reply: Has Your 53 Block Actually Cracked - Vote