24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

harmonic balancer

Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harmonic balancer

I got some oil flinging around all over the front of my motor. Cant find source but did notice that my damper has some sort of rubber ring protruding out with a chunk missing. Could oil be coming from leaking damper? I havent noticed this rubber ring to recently. At first I thought it was the crankcase vent but I piped up a catch can with remote can from peak performance.
any Ideas?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
The damper can not leak oil, but the front crankshaft seal can, and the damper flings it then.. Be very careful with the damper, change it if the rubber is bad. (Chunk missing is really bad)
In some cases a defective damper can lead to the crankshaft breaking.. And in those cases you will not hear the damper rattle before it's too late.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 PM

A small chunk of rubber gone is not a problem, although if the remaining rubber is heat-checked and cracked severely it could indicate the remaining rubber between the hub and outer ring has been compromised. The rubber exposed is available to be abused a lot more than the rubber trapped between the steel pieces. I have small pieces of rubber missing and I have over 240K miles without any vibration or bearing problems and those little missing pieces from the ring that buldges have been missing for at least 80-100K miles now.
I agree with Joe, look at the front seal, and if the dampener has a groove don't forget to install a speedy sleeve to renew the surface for the new seal...or... If you have the dampener off already, are nervous about putting it back on and have the money, put on a new one but they aint cheap...
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...r-p-18917.html

Here's another thread on the subject and they address the Fluid-dampener brand of dampener for trucks with a little more hp and torques than stock or ones that race...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...er-t82397.html
Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Smile damper

I fyou have piece of rubber missing, pull the damper!!!!!!! On mine I thought small piece missing, pulled the damper to check there was a bigger piece missing from the back side. I bought a Fluidamper, I am VERY happy with it. It is a little pricey but is great insurance.