24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:03 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Fuel leaking

Hi Guys,

Long story short-I went to MT for Thanksgiving and took an extra 5 gallons of fuel just in case. Well didn't need it but the new can I bought leaked in the bed of my truck and ran into the tie down hole at the front and then on to the ground. No big deal, I cleaned and degreased everything and forgot about it, however I could still smell fuel after a while, til today actually.

I got back home tonight after a Seattle run and walked out to lock her up and saw four big stains on the driveway under the truck. Crawled under and fuel from the engine back, drivers side, and all over the tailgate and canopy window. I traced it up the return line to the quick connect. But when I opened the hood and looked in it appears it is coming from the top along the injector lines....

I checked the injector nuts at the ends of the lines and they are all tight, I did notice one of the clamps was loose and out of alignment. Upon removal it has been loose for some time as the holes are egged out in the blue spacers and there is a shiny spot on the one metal edge that was touching the #3 injector line. Everything was soaked in fuel also.

I ran a paper towel around the lines with the engine running but no apparent leaking. I wiped down the return plumbing and ran the motor but see no apparent leaks. The fuel appears to be trailing down the return line and then coating the front driveline, frame rail back to the fuel tank, the rear springs, drivers side of diff and its all over the bumper tailgate and rear window of the canopy, probably better than a gallon or more. The puddles were from it running off the frame rail and draining thru a few holes....

Any ideas? I could not find a source with it running at idle.

Thanks, Kurt
Old 02-11-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
fuel filter housing?
Old 02-12-2015, 01:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I had an injector line crack right at the solder under the nut at the head, can't remember #3 or 4. hit everything with brakleen, blow it dry, then run it. That is the only good way to see it.

If not that, have a look at the return banjo fitting on the back of the head.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something that works great is a simple process of elimination strat by cleaning everything down to a tee and make sure everything is dry brake cleaner and blow gun works great for fuel leaks and start by starting at the very first component of the fuel system test everything twice once idling then under a load then move to the next item and repeat the process for each component works great you will find the leak and it might come sooner than you think
Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Right now I have checked all my latest work and the only thing I have done near the leak was remove and clean the IAT and MAP sensors.

The majority of fuel seems to be around the quick connect at the return line.

I did find the brace for the #2,3 injector lines loose and worn and pretty oily, however after running a paper towel around the lines it doesn't appear to be leaking...

I checked the injector line nuts as rec'd and they are all snug and dry, my last filter change was about two months back and the housing is dry.

Checking the banjo next...
Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 PM

Well, got about a 1/16 of a turn on the return line banjo, not much but it wasn't tight.

Got a 1/16 turn on the fuel filter outlet. The big line kit is tough to get two wrenches on at once, I don't have a thin endwrench in that size and am considering buying the two I need and cutting and grinding them down...

The return line TEE I think is the culprit. It is kind of hokey and I can't get both hands on it. The return from the vp fitting feels spongy and doesn't want to stay snug, it kind backs off a bit after I put a torque on it. Is there an aftermartket push lock kit available for this?

I am pretty sure that was the problem....
Old 02-14-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey can you take a picture of the culprit that your taking about and I can see if there is a fitting
Old 02-27-2015, 08:47 PM

Well, found it!

leaking at connection at bottom of fuel filter housing.

Snugged up fitting and JIC fitting and hoping outlet hole in canister isn't problem. Found a set of thin, shortened spanners for JIC fittings on big line kit. $35 and $37 bucks for both sizes! gonna go for it and see if that fixes it, my standard wrenches are too thick and too long to get a good bite on the fittings...

Stand by for update....