24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

The Finer Points of Driving a Diesel Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Finer Points of Driving a Diesel Truck

I am new to diesel trucks. Bought my 2000 Ram 2500 in December and have been loving every mile in it. There are a few things I've been thinking about and would like to know some opinions, facts etc.

Engine Braking:
-Is any fuel being burned while engine braking?
-Does fuel still circulate through the VP44?
-Does the engine cool down more going down a hill in gear or in neutral?

Idling:
-Is there considerably more wear and tear from starting and stopping a diesel engine?
-How long before its worth shutting the engine off rather than keeping it at idle? (I've heard 10 minutes)

Warm-up:
-From 40 *F how long should I idle before driving?
-Do higher or lower RPMs produce more heat?

Fuel Efficiency:
-What is the best RPM to shift at to maximize fuel economy?
-Best RPM to cruise highway at for max MPG?
-Start in 1st gear or 2nd gear (unloaded, on level ground with 4.10's)

I know, a lot of questions, I appreciate any shared knowledge!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Might want to post this in the 2nd Gen section....your 2000 is a few years newer then our 1st Gen's (89-93)...
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Going down a hill in neutral is not only illegal but it is suicide.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
^^^Second that! Not a good idea or standard practice.

I think you are getting the million mile a gallon fever...easy now!

Yes, the engine still receives fuel during engine braking, just the idle amount, which saves a lot more fuel than feeding it with the pedal.

From what I have read the vp needs to constantly have fuel in it and circulate it when turning...

Engine braking: You don't really need this unless you tow a lot and are going thru brakes.

Idling: Most damage is done to the internals when starting a cold engine and upping the rpm before lube oil has been fully circulated and then until the oil reaches optimum operating temp, usually about 190F...

Idling used to be done on OTR and equipment because fuel was cheap and starters were expensive. I have read that idling a Cummins is equivalent in fuel consumption to running at a constant 30 mph, so no, it's easier on the wallet to shut it off.

The coolness factor of idling it around the calmer attituded people is higher than idling it to impress those who like to depress our rights and feel our checkbooks for any fat, unfortunately, there are more tree hugger types that will take action than those who have more important things to worry about....

Warm-up: I plug mine in when temps drop into the 40's at night and do so until they get into the 50's. Warm oil reaches the farthest journal faster than cold oil, taking this into consideration, I let it run for about 5 minutes before leaving from a cold start to ensure lube oil is well around the block. I use a timer that kicks on at 0330. This saves some money on power, the element eats a lot and also keeps rodents from nesting under the hood.

On a diesel, engine load will produce more heat, when running empty most heat leaves thru the tailpipe...If you want a quicker warm up, block the radiator..

As for best shift point etc, learn your trucks sounds and vibes....they all have a sweetspot around 2000 rpm that will even out the drone and produce the best efficiency, mine likes about 67 mph with the current tires, as tires wear so will the sweetspot, even by a little. Road surface can also affect this as does tire pressure.

Diesel Power Magazine did an MPG feature back in 07 or 08 and ran a 2nd gen 2X4 up to incredible mpg, it had covered wheels, ground effects, tiny rearview mirrors, low resistance high pressure tires, blocked off grille, programmer, overdrive box and was lowered, just to mention a few mods!! It was really eye opening to what you can get out of 359 cubes rolling coal...

Have fun wringing out the miles!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 PM

@SIXSLUG thanks for the input and advice! I am in Southern California so I definitely encounter my fair share of tree huggers haha. Whats funny is the fuel consumption out of my 6000+ lb truck may not be far off from their POS Subaru haha
Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 AM

its amazing how much one can get out of our trucks. I can get 18-19 on freeway in my truck with new 37" with lift. when i had 33" and no lift long ago i was able to get 22mpg hand calc.

I lived right by San Clemente for 6 years in the late 90's in the Marines. to much traffic there. I do suggest when you drive if you have the ability unlike I-5 in southern Calif , what has helped me at time with MPG is not just knowing your route , merges, exits, speed changes etc. but looking farther out in traffic before doing lane changes or speed changes etc. This is helpful on longer trips so that when you do have to reduce your speed your not reducing much which takes less to get back to original cruise speed.

Also I dont mind drafting. I dont draft like I'm in love with someones bumper. but i will get behind semi around 2-3 truck lengths.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Going down a hill in neutral is not only illegal but it is suicide.
What????? That was the only way my 1950 Dodge would get over 50mph
Old 03-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
its amazing how much one can get out of our trucks. I can get 18-19 on freeway in my truck with new 37" with lift. when i had 33" and no lift long ago i was able to get 22mpg hand calc.

I lived right by San Clemente for 6 years in the late 90's in the Marines. to much traffic there. I do suggest when you drive if you have the ability unlike I-5 in southern Calif , what has helped me at time with MPG is not just knowing your route , merges, exits, speed changes etc. but looking farther out in traffic before doing lane changes or speed changes etc. This is helpful on longer trips so that when you do have to reduce your speed your not reducing much which takes less to get back to original cruise speed.

Also I dont mind drafting. I dont draft like I'm in love with someones bumper. but i will get behind semi around 2-3 truck lengths.
Traffic is indeed bad in SoCal! I was driving south through Camp Pendleton yesterday and got caught in traffic while still in SC... 30 minutes to drive 2 miles!

I plan to get 33" for my next set of tires.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by hallio217
Traffic is indeed bad in SoCal! I was driving south through Camp Pendleton yesterday and got caught in traffic while still in SC... 30 minutes to drive 2 miles!

I miss a few beaches and bars in that area. You can almost eat a meal and read a book at times to just go from san clemente to Dana point. lol.
33"s were a good combo back then with the 6 speed plus it gave the truck a nice stance. I would recommend toyo at's or the new toyo at's. E rated and a 50 or 60k tire life.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Administrator

This is normal traffic for SoCal, it is either real fast or real slow, I had an appointment in Irvine yesterday and as soon as I got on the I-57 S/B from the I-10 it backed up at Diamond Bar Blvd, I got on the the I-60 E/B to the I-71 S/B to the I-241 Toll Road and made it to Irvine 10 minuets late, but I was flying.

There was an accident on the I-57.

When I go to San Diego, I like to go late at night when there is no traffic.

How far are you from Dolly Parton?

Jim
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep it under 2k RPM, start slow and ease up to stops, I know its boring, but you will get the best mileage, the right foot is the best mod you can do, Im old its pretty easy, young not so much hahaha
Old 03-22-2014, 12:41 PM

I grew up in Fallbrook. My solution to the traffic was head east to the deserts and high country, probably not heaven anymore. Now I am at the other end of I-5 and we get our fair share of jams....
Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
This is normal traffic for SoCal, it is either real fast or real slow, I had an appointment in Irvine yesterday and as soon as I got on the I-57 S/B from the I-10 it backed up at Diamond Bar Blvd, I got on the the I-60 E/B to the I-71 S/B to the I-241 Toll Road and made it to Irvine 10 minuets late, but I was flying.

There was an accident on the I-57.

When I go to San Diego, I like to go late at night when there is no traffic.

How far are you from Dolly Parton?

Jim
At least we have a lot of freeways in SoCal to provide for alternate routes!

And I agree, I'll get on the road at 5:00am to avoid traffic if needed

Does Dolly Parton live in San Clemente?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 AM
Administrator

At least we have a lot of freeways in SoCal to provide for alternate routes!

And I agree, I'll get on the road at 5:00am to avoid traffic if needed

Does Dolly Parton live in San Clemente?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Doll...vIvod2dct-M%3A
Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM

That's an old joke! I think he may be talking about the Nuclear power reactor by Dick Nixon's old place, near Trestles.....

Quick Reply: The Finer Points of Driving a Diesel Truck