24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did I fix these?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did I fix these?

Well the old girl started the torque converter confusion again between 45 and 50 mph so i disconnected all the ground leads and cleaned them plus I made up a dedicated ground from the PCM to the ground post on the battery. I also discovered that the two bolts closest to the fender were loose. Probably an oversight when I had it in to be trouble shot. Anyway, I got all the cables and leads back together, fired it up and took it for a test run. It shifted just fine as I expected but I also noticed it seemed to idle smoother (less rattling) plus it used to slightly hesitate occasionally at first acceleration even in neutral and that issue seems to be gone too. I was chalking that up to the VP44 replacement but maybe it wasn't? I guess my curiosity is if the PCM also effects idle timing and acceleration issues. Does anybody have any knowledge of this? I would love to find a compiled list of things that bad grounding causes.
I just read a thread further down titled "Dead peddle, and cleared itself?". I may have found out I did fix these issues but not completely sure???

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
These things are electronic and pretty nervous about voltage and ohms, etc.

I would imagine cleaning the grounds and freeing up the movement of electrons can only help, especially after 15 years...
Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 PM

I cleaned all the grounds 2 to 3 years ago and it fixed the torque converter lockout problem. I found the info on this forum thankfully. I was expecting to have to go through the tranny before that. She's old but only has 85k on her now but age is definitely taking it's toll on her. Gonna keep it anyway. The newer ones scare me thanks to Big Brother.
Drove it several miles today and it ran like a top . . . a noisy top.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Mine's been a great truck, 'cept for the dashboard......
Old 06-02-2014, 04:42 PM

My Dead Pedal unfortunately...didn't fix it self, it was temporarily in remission

Who did you get your pump from, and what did you have to pay for it?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 PM

I'm sorry for this late reply Crallscars. It appears I am working harder now that I retired and don't get to surf around much anymore on the interweb. I new the name of the pump remanufacturer but can't recall it now. They are on the North Side of Houston though. I will locate my envoices and see if they have the name. I didn't do the repair myself but had it done. I didn't trust myself that far. Mine's been running like a champ after all of the ground wire cleaning. I do however want to pull the tank at some point and clean it. I have to do the same with my John Deere because it has trash and rust in it. Heck, I pulled it just 3 years ago and flushed it but "It's Baaaaack!". Crazy thing is, the tank is plastic but the filler ring is metal as is the access cover for the fuel line and gauge. I will probably coat them with naval gel and hope the fuel doesn't remove it. Thinking of dropping a magnet in the tank attached to a chain and the cap???
Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM

I fixed my dead pedal problem, I bought a Blue Chip VP44, the truck runs like new now.