24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cruise control not working

Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise control not working

Hey guy's my cruise control stopped working today after I was backing my trailer up in a tight place. Lots of right to left turns. Then it started to work on a different trip but stopped working while moving. When I push the on off button no cruise comes on the dash. My question is can the clock spring be damaged for just the cruise circuit. The air bag light is not on and the horn works. I've looked for a wiring diagram but have had no luck. I tested the switch and is seems ok. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 AM

When I broke my clock spring, my horn still worked, but cruise did not and the air bag light was on. Sorry I don't have any more info to help you, just letting you know my experience.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks, I will replace the clock spring and go from there.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM

I would not go out and replace your clock spring based on what I posted. You might want to see if anyone else on here can help you out. There may be some other troubleshooting that can be done to diagnose the problem.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 PM

My cruise is out too. I do not think it is the clock spring. Go to Autozone and have them scan it. I did mine and I have no communication with the body module. Once I fix that I am sure my cruise will be back.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 PM

today my cruise worked fine for a trip and then other times you can't turn it on. Some times it turns on and shuts off while driving. I'mloosing a conection some where.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im having a problem with mine also I can turn mine on but when i try to set the speed nothing happens. Anybody know whats causing this?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:29 AM

my 98.5 used to not work the light would come on and nothing would happen until i looked under the driver side battery and found the vaccum tube and it was broke in two for some reason fixed it and now it works fine. ????? (maybe a vaccum leak)
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
My '96 dodge [of course] V-10 lost cruise for a while. Then while working on my engine I saw a little black hose that was not connected lying on the top of the motor. I looked around a found a hose barb that was sticking out of the intake area. I connected the two togther and bam I had cruise again. I guess there is a vacuam line that runs off pressure in the intake or something that the cruise control needs to work. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Chapter President

It's really hard to help people when they don't say what year truck they have. Depending on year of truck it makes a difference when talking about cruise control. Some are electronic and some are vacuum.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Well my truck is a 2001, all are vacuum controlled. My problem is the system will intermittently not turn on. If anyone has a wiring diagram I would really appreciate it.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:10 PM

I have had this problem as well. If you know it is electrical then run with it. However, I would still check your vacuum lines. If you have some kind of a crack or loose connection it will cause all kinds of problems.

Check the bolts/screws around your steering wheel. If I remember right one of those little guys is a ground or somehow might have some significance in the cruise control system.

If you have a vacuum problem usually there will be a secondary problem with the heater or something.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Well my air bag light came on today. So I think it's safe to say the clock spring is what has failed. Will replace tomorrow and all should be good.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Cruise control

My '99 Ram's cruise will turn on and run for a little while, but once I hit a grade of any kind it will speed up on its own until I shut the cruise control off. My mechanic said it might be a throttle position sensor. I like the sound of the vacuum hose being loose better of course.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM

I had the same problem but only in my van (Plymouth, Mopar) My cruise would work intermittenly on and off for years. I checked everything but could not find the problem until one day my brake lights start sticking on. I went to the auto parts and bought new brake light switch and now the cruise works fine and never misses a beat. I know it's just a van but it is Mopar!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise control not working