24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cost of service

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cost of service

so i have had a slow leak over last 3 years since I had my engine rebuilt and Double disk installed. when the Clutch was put in they put in a new rear main seal. a few thousand miles later is when my Exhaust #5 valve decided to kiss my piston. So the engine was rebuilt in frame. all new piston, head, valve, cam etc. I'm trying to find my papers but a in frame rebuild they would not have dropped the Tranny I'm assuming . But i have a leak coming from between the tranny and back of engine. I cleaned and double checked any other areas. but is coming from the small seperation gap that NV5600 have.
the oil loss is not much at all maybe a pea size drop after a 1/2 day of driving or a couple drops of hot rodding and running hard. but after turned off and sit does not drip . it mainly comes out of opening and blows back and upward to the nv5600 housing.

I replaced my valve cover gasket with a cummins gasket less than 5k miles ago

So rear main? Cam Seal? I can get a deal on the seals so they wont be much $ for me. but what is the average time and price charged on this?

Also what else could it be if not from these 2 seals?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Depends on the shop, but usually 8 hrs some charge more some less. But no warranty if customer supplies aftermarket non factory part. I have replaced rear oil galley plug for leaking on reman engine. I have also had loose bolts on rear crank seal housing cause oil leaks. Another shop had replace seal twice and oil pan gastket. Never bothered to check bolt torque on the housing.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 AM

2006 Dodge 2500 gas mileage

Hello! I'M a newbe.....lol..... I have acquired a dodge big horn 2500 diesel...and I'm wondering how logical it would be to drive her..back and forth to work (about a 75 mile trip, 5 days/week)...at present, I'M driving a 2004 eddie bauer ford expedition...thank you for any help and information given...I'M not even sure if I'M doing this correctly....lol..
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 Mom
Hello! I'M a newbe.....lol..... I have acquired a dodge big horn 2500 diesel...and I'm wondering how logical it would be to drive her..back and forth to work (about a 75 mile trip, 5 days/week)...at present, I'M driving a 2004 eddie bauer ford expedition...thank you for any help and information given...I'M not even sure if I'M doing this correctly....lol..
Hi welcome to DTR

Please start your own thread so we don't derail this gentleman's thread
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 Mom
The Expedition is getting what for mileage? Depending on the year of your truck, you should see a fairly solid 20ish MPG with it if you drive conservatively.

After that, it is a simple cost per mile equation, but for me, I would think you could easily justify a small sedan getting 30 MPG for that long of a commute.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Depends on the shop, but usually 8 hrs some charge more some less. But no warranty if customer supplies aftermarket non factory part. I have replaced rear oil galley plug for leaking on reman engine. I have also had loose bolts on rear crank seal housing cause oil leaks. Another shop had replace seal twice and oil pan gastket. Never bothered to check bolt torque on the housing.
Thanks for the input.