24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Can you or can't you-lock out hubs?

Old 09-01-2003, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you or can't you-lock out hubs?

Has anyone ever put manual lock out hubs on the front of these later model(2002) one ton 4-wheel drives. Does anyone even make one that will work on these trucks?

Just cant stand all that stuff turning for no reason not to mention the power and fuel mileage loss,little as it may be its still wasted.

Thanks
BIGOKIE
Old 09-01-2003, 07:15 PM

Re:Can you or can't you-lock out hubs?

I know there's a company that makes a kit to replace everything from the u-joint out ......it has manual hubs and servicable bearings, it's expensive...........can't remember the name........but I got the link from this site once

did you try a search........
Old 09-02-2003, 08:41 AM

This place here makes a conversion for the 00-02 2500/3500:
http://www.rightgear.com/welcome.htm

Dynatrac does not make a conversion for the 00-02

Old 09-02-2003, 09:14 AM

;D ;D
Thanks guys,just what i was looking for. Have yall or do you know anyone that has dealt with this company? Just wondering about quality,etc,etc.
Anyone out there done this mod? Wondering how much impact it made on driveability,fuel mileage,etc.

Thanks again
BIGOKIE
Old 09-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Dieselhead link=board=4;threadid=19094;start=0#msg179531 date=1062510092]

[/quote]

The only issue I see with that, is the fact that 2000 to 2002 came with the CAD on the front axle.
(Central Axle Disconnect)
Sometime during the 2002 production year they got rid of it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't work for the few of us with 2002's and no CAD.

phox
Old 09-02-2003, 08:42 PM

The only issue I see with that, is the fact that 2000 to 2002 came with the CAD on the front axle.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't work for the few of us with 2002's and no CAD.

phox
y do you say it wont work, dont think it wont work?? Is ther a difference in the axle assemblies other the the disconect feature?. I think as long as they would fit the axles without the disconect feature would benefit the most.
Just wondering?

Dan
Old 09-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert, but just thinking out loud.

I would think there would have to be something different for the CAD axles and the non CAD axles.
Since they are lumping both of them into one group, I.E. 2000 to 2002, I think they are only thinking of the CAD equiped trucks.
Maybe not aware of the mid 2002 change?

The price they quote for the system seems like an awful lot for the non CAD trucks.
(can't find it on the page, but $2,500 sticks in my mind)

The fact that you have to disable the front anti lock brakes doesn't bode well either, or make a lot of sense.

Yes, I see it being more of a benefit for those of us whose front axle is turning all the time, robbing us of fuel economy and maybe a little horsepower as well.
I pulled my front driveshaft a while back trying to chase down a highway speed vibration.
While I had it off, no vibration, and I got about 2 mpg more.

Hopefully someone with the bucks will give it a go and report back how happy they are with the conversion,
if it works.

Me, I don't have the bucks, already spent a wee bit more than I planned so far.

phox
Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM

[quote author=phox_mulder link=board=4;threadid=19094;start=0#msg179810 date=1062552158]
[quote author=Dieselhead link=board=4;threadid=19094;start=0#msg179531 date=1062510092]

[/quote]

phox
[/quote]

Sure it will work with either one.
It's the same as older models that came out with L/O hubs.
If you have the CAD you could do away with it and leave it engauged all the time with the L/o hubs.

: Eddie : 8)
Old 09-03-2003, 02:47 PM

So how long has this axle been around? I would think years, just gone through a few changes over time. Just wondering if its ever had lockouts on it in the past or maybe in a different application and if so maybe they could be retrofitted?

Probably just wishfull thinking.

Mine has no CAD

BIGOKIE
Old 09-03-2003, 09:20 PM

[quote author=BIGOKIE link=board=4;threadid=19094;start=0#msg180133 date=1062618476]
So how long has this axle been around? I would think years, just gone through a few changes over time. Just wondering if its ever had lockouts on it in the past or maybe in a different application and if so maybe they could be retrofitted?

Probably just wishfull thinking.

[/quote]

The Dana 60 has been round for a long time, the problem is that the easy to find axles have the diff. on the wrong side. The 94+ trucks have the diff on the drivers side, where as the 1st gen trucks have the diff on the passenger side.

The only truck I know that came with the proper front configuration are the late 70's Ford F250 and F350 with the snowplow package. WHile these are much stronger than anything offered by Dodge (30 spline axle shafts in the Dodge vs 35 spline for the Ford).

If a person could find a front Dana 60 from a Ford, you would end up paying an arm and a leg, sometime $2000+, you would also have to convert your truck to a leaf spring front end, or adapt the coilover buckets and control arm mounts to the Ford axle.

I am sure I am leaving somthing out, but this is all I can think of at the moment.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:26 PM

Almost forgot, the Ford axles use a kingpin design, so there are no pesky ball joints to worry about, plus I believe that the axle weight rating is a little higher.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:04 AM

Sounds like a pretty good chore and lots of $$$$$ either way. Would take a pretty good while to pay for all that in fuel savings.
Maybe I'll just remove the drive shaft for now at least until winter.
I noticed the pumpkins swapped sides while working on my 1st gen. I'm currently converting it from 2 to 4wd over in the1st gen furom. Its a pretty good chore.

BIGOKIE
Old 09-04-2003, 11:37 AM

Alright im a little confused. on my 97 and 99 the axle shafts rotate anyway? is thta what the manual hubs solves?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:21 PM

In the 2002 without CAD(central axle disconnect) model everything turns from th hubcab to the transfer,if your in 4x4 or not. I believe they done away with the CAD sometime in 2002. In yours with cad unlocked or in 2wd the axles turn but not the the shafts between the front rear and the transfer or the gears in the transfer.
One with lockout hubs disingages the axles right at the wheels so nothing turns except the wheel when in 2wd.
I've heard that everything supposed to last longer turning but maybe I'm dense, I dont see how. A lot of extra energy to turn that stuff,especially over a period of say 10 years.
Though I have seen slip yokes on 4x4s that were never hardly in 4x4 wear out on one side I guess from bouncing and gravity.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me on this info!

BIGOKIE
Old 09-06-2003, 02:56 PM

I think they say things last longer because the gear lube is always being circulated. In a truck with manual hubs, you need to lock the truck into 4 wheel drive every now and then to make sure everything stays lubed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you or can't you-lock out hubs?