24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

blow by trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blow by trouble?

I have a 99 cummins 24v 2wd 114,110k on it bought it about 2 years ago and i have been seeing smoke coming from the grill and got under it and noticed oil all over and i have taken my oil fill cap off and put it upside down and just vibrates off i cant fogure this put i am in need of help! I have taken it to several places and they say needs rebuilt and all this crap. They tell me nothing can cause blow by except fasses passing the rings i think thats is wrong what should i do?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If I remember correctly the old 24 valves have a puke hose that is supposed to go into a bottle but ends up dumping on to the back of the radiator causing a real mess. Some guys extend the hose down to solve that issue....

But if you actually have excessive blowby, then a rebuild is indeed in your future.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 PM

What is excessive blow by to you? I have justhad a new big and small pump put in this truck idk if that could have been the cause or not
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
What is your oil consumption?

Lary is trying to tell you to check the blowby tube to see if it is plugged off.

By big and small pump I assume you mean lift and Injection pump?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 AM

I changed to oil a lil over week ago and cant really tell that i have lost any oil. And the oil is still really clean i change the oil every 4,000 miles. And yes lift pump and injection pump but i converted the lift pump to an in tank pump.

And the tube is not plugged off. I didnt think my model had anything on the hose?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by SEaNyBoI
I changed to oil a lil over week ago and cant really tell that i have lost any oil. And the oil is still really clean i change the oil every 4,000 miles. And yes lift pump and injection pump but i converted the lift pump to an in tank pump.

And the tube is not plugged off. I didnt think my model had anything on the hose?
----------------
Sir:

Most all of the 1998.5-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve trucks with the VP-44 pump had a "blow-by" hose coming off of a breather vent right on the front of the engine as Lary and Pat pointed out. On all of those trucks I've seen, there was a small plastic bottle attached to the end of that hose. Over time, those bottles fill up with "blow-by" oil and that may be what you are seeing. IF your truck doesn't have that bottle anymore, the "blow-by" oil is most likely spewing all over your front cover, thus the smoke you see from the excess oil burning off the hot metal of the front cover.

You can make a new "catch bottle" and attach it to your hose with no problem. On my 1996 Dodge CTD Drag Truck we use on on the front cover also and have no issues with the oil dripping on the front cover. You can also buy catch bottles from Summit or Jegs Racing.

--------
John_P
Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 PM

When i bought the truck a couple years ago i lnow it wasnt there but i never had a oil leak or the smoke comming from the hose. And just can't figure out what is causing the oil and smoke. And my cruise dont work the light comes on but wont set. I fixed alot of the rotted vacuume lines that i could find and it still wont work.. and i just feel like the motor isnt the problem. But i am gonna have a compression test done to double check. Just would like to figure out what els could cause the all of a sudden amoke and oil?

Thanks for the help you guys are giving me!!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SEaNyBoI

Ok, before you freak out, we need to run this thing for a while and see if oil consumption is excessive now. If the oil is still very clean, that tells me you have a good chance the pistons are not passing an excessive amount.

Does it still run good? How about changes in the amount of black smoke when you accelerate?

Have you done any performance modifications to the truck?

Has the fuel economy dripped off more so than the normal winter blend fuel drop?

Sorry to pepper you with all these questions, but I have found most mechanics do not know what they are doing with these things, and they end up costing you money.........

I don't suppose you can upload a video of it to youtube or photobucket so we can physically see what you are talking about?

Oh yea, where are you located, perhaps we have a member close by........
Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Ok, before you freak out, we need to run this thing for a while and see if oil consumption is excessive now. If the oil is still very clean, that tells me you have a good chance the pistons are not passing an excessive amount.

Does it still run good? How about changes in the amount of black smoke when you accelerate?

Have you done any performance modifications to the truck?

Has the fuel economy dripped off more so than the normal winter blend fuel drop?

Sorry to pepper you with all these questions, but I have found most mechanics do not know what they are doing with these things, and they end up costing you money.........

I don't suppose you can upload a video of it to youtube or photobucket so we can physically see what you are talking about?

Oh yea, where are you located, perhaps we have a member close by........
It runs great to me i havent noticed any change in power or anything..

not much black smoke unless you take off quickly..

No mods i have only put 8 inch dual stacks on it just cause it sounds good! Haha. And it had a upt tuner or something on it when i got it. I tried to take it off but wasnt sure how to do it...

No change in fuel consumption that i can tell..

I can try to put one on youtube tonight when i get off work and ill put the url on this page when i get it done and i live in amarillo tx
Old 02-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Along the lines of what Pat is asking you I would suggest doing a compression check on each of your cylinders if everything else looks alright.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
Along the lines of what Pat is asking you I would suggest doing a compression check on each of your cylinders if everything else looks alright.
WOuld you happen to know what fitting i would need to do that for my truck? I can barrow one from a friend and idk if he has the right fitting.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If it is smoking a little out the crank vent while idling that is no big deal...

Smoke out the grill is odd, the fan sucks in, not blows out.

Mine puffs out the puke bottle hose at idle, but not excessively. If I pull the oil cap and cover with three fingers I get nothing blowing outwards.

Just my .02
Old 02-27-2015, 08:44 PM

look on u-tube, there are plenty of videos of bad known blow by due to bad compression. and there are videos of blow by that are normal. when outside temps are cold the blow by that comes out will look white to steam. just like your breath would. when it the engine is cold you will see some blue or dark in
vapor due to the engine is not warm , not as efficient with compression and as it warms there is moisture burning off in the crankcase.
I drive my truck daily and have a short distance to work , my engine will never be warmed if i just drove straight to work. I usually take longer routes so that I'm not causing more moisture build up.

this same concept in gasoline vehicles. such as a 4runner and tacoma I had in past, if not ran to warm up over a period of time in cold weather would get a white yuck under the oil cap. This is a classic thing with most drivers that jump in and drive and shut off day after day.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
look on u-tube, there are plenty of videos of bad known blow by due to bad compression. and there are videos of blow by that are normal. when outside temps are cold the blow by that comes out will look white to steam. just like your breath would. when it the engine is cold you will see some blue or dark in
vapor due to the engine is not warm , not as efficient with compression and as it warms there is moisture burning off in the crankcase.
I drive my truck daily and have a short distance to work , my engine will never be warmed if i just drove straight to work. I usually take longer routes so that I'm not causing more moisture build up.

this same concept in gasoline vehicles. such as a 4runner and tacoma I had in past, if not ran to warm up over a period of time in cold weather would get a white yuck under the oil cap. This is a classic thing with most drivers that jump in and drive and shut off day after day.
Even when its warm out itll smoke and i have oil drips in the drive that is comming from under the truck
Old 02-27-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
If it is smoking a little out the crank vent while idling that is no big deal...

Smoke out the grill is odd, the fan sucks in, not blows out.

Mine puffs out the puke bottle hose at idle, but not excessively. If I pull the oil cap and cover with three fingers I get nothing blowing outwards.

Just my .02
It comes out from under and floats up in from of the truck.

Quick Reply: blow by trouble?