24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Another "longer starting" thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will defiantly replace the banjo bolt as my vp will not except a pressure over 20.I have been doing some major research about under the hood temps and solutions.But to more accurately define the problem of overheating tendency of the vp, this is what i came up with.The VP is completely tucked in behind the gearing and gear case,it is completely out of the airflow of the fan.I like the double electric fan from flex lite and control from the cab,under the hood temps.I also think it possible to rig up a strong little fan from underneath and duct it strait into that dead air pocket under the vp.Oh yes defiantly remove puke boodle and clean oily residue off radiator.Also i think it a big mistake to be using hot under the hot air for engine intake.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by dennismorgan
I will defiantly replace the banjo bolt as my vp will not except a pressure over 20.I have been doing some major research about under the hood temps and solutions.But to more accurately define the problem of overheating tendency of the vp, this is what i came up with.The VP is completely tucked in behind the gearing and gear case,it is completely out of the airflow of the fan.I like the double electric fan from flex lite and control from the cab,under the hood temps.I also think it possible to rig up a strong little fan from underneath and duct it strait into that dead air pocket under the vp.Oh yes defiantly remove puke boodle and clean oily residue off radiator.Also i think it a big mistake to be using hot under the hot air for engine intake.
As usual dennis, I understand and respect your desire to solve VP issues, but really the items you're after in that last post are mute. Why?..... Because the VP doesnt have a problem while the engine is running. So why care about anything pertaining to this? Yes, the VP kinda sits behind the timing case but given the amount of air passing through the engine compartment, its not a problem. If you want to pursue a fan to blow over the VP "after" shutdown then great, I think others will be all for that. But again, you'll find that electrical drainage on the batteries is going to be a problem, and finding a timer which can handle not only the amperage but the amount of time you'll need.

With regards to that, I can add some input to the fan after shutdown thing and what I did and what I experienced. After coming home on hot days, I open my hood and leave it that way until everything has cooled some. But.....I used to also prop a small house fan on the engine pointed directly at the VP so as to aid the cooling of the VP and deter heatsoak. After doing this I had the engine do some REALLY weird stuff the next day. I started the truck and all of a sudden the engine shook violently and a loud hissing noise came from under the hood. Coincidentally the fuel pressure read ZERO too. I immediately shut the engine off. This was back when I had an electric FP gauge so I can only guess that it was telling an accurate story and not a reason for some electrical glitch. This event only happened twice with no particular time or reason other than the fact that I cooled the VP with that house fan, but it was so odd and violent that I opted to let the VP cool on its own and see if this happened again. No, it did not.

I couldn't tell you what actually happened or what I was hearing since both events were so quick, but I can absolutely tell you that it had something to do with the VP. Believe it or not, I thought for a second that the engine was running backwards.

Lastly, you not liking the heat under the hood for intake is the wrong approach. As we talked about before, diesels are not gasoline engines and NEED heat to function properly and complete combustion. Especially the 24v engines. Thats not to say that drawing intake from an extreme heat source is best but that the air from under the hood and the air from the cool source in the fender is perfectly fine. The cold air intake systems for diesels are marketing tools to make people buy what they think they need. Matter of fact, cold air intakes and huge exhaust systems can turn out to be negative attributes in the winter and for guys who drive in the frigid climates. There is far more to this topic but I'm just trying to point you in the right direction. Keep up the good research about VP's though.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well..
to take matters in different and costly direction..
first your fuel pressure is low..most likely not the overflow valve..sorry
hard starting..
follow Blue chips VP44 diagnositc chart..on this..YES it applies.

worst case you looking at a new ECM for the engine.$800...
sorry..had hard starting..lift pump not starting issure this summer..almost didn't get home..that bad..dreaded the thought the $800 would fix the problem..tried just about everything else..then changed the ECM..problem gone..

so does you lift pump the instant you turn on the key? it should..yes always!
yes it will turn off almost instantly..but it runs at key on! then pulse runs until its running..ok so bypass the lift pump( on all the time) does the truck start?maybe the ECM isn't turning the on the power to the VP44??
follow Blue Chips..and go from there..

-dkenny