24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

47RE, OD OFF light comes on randomly

Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
47RE, OD OFF light comes on randomly

Hi guys and gals!

We are on our way to sunny California, from Alberta, Canada. While motoring down the highway, pulling at 60MPH, running 2200RPM's, without any input from me, the OD OFF light comes on and the tranny drops out of OD and into third gear. TC is locked up and no problems there that I know of. I do have a OD lock switch and did not have it activated as trans was working fine. The tranny, with the OD OFF light, would not respond to any input from the gear shift OD button and I carried on for about 25 miles to my destination of the day to have some warranty work done on the RV. When I left the dealer, RV not in tow, the tranny was shifting back to normal stuff, with out missing as beat. So, any ideas on what is happening? I've got about 2,000 miles left to drive on this little trip and I really don't need more grief than we have already had and the trip is just starting! SIGH

Thanks all. I could really use your help on this.

Mike
Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 PM

And yes, BTW, I did use the search function and was unable to find any satisfactory solutions for similar problems posted. I will, of course, check and double check the wiring for my TC lock up switch as well as connections at the transmission. The OD switch on the gear shift stalk works fine after I had shut the truck off from dropping off the RV at the dealer. I took the beast out again tonight and all seems fine. I am flummoxed as to what the problem may be.

Bumpy, bump. Somebody PLEASE gimme a hand here.

Mike
Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was doing that, basically going into limp mode, but mine would unlock, Trans light come on and then go back to OD. I replaced the Trans solenoid and it stopped for a while. Recently I did an Apps reset and it has cleared it up...for now.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had an issue with mine a couple of weeks ago where all of a sudden the TC wouldn't unlock. I worked on it for a week with no luck then I took it to the double A trans place Of course on the way there it started working just fine. They found a couple of wires that the insulation had cracked and were shorting out. Our rigs have some seriously crappy plastic all around so check the wiring. Maybe the switch wire is shorting out on you.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
unrelated obviosuly but could be same case as previous poster noted. My horn worked intermittently and I checked the wiring found it to be broken where the steering wheel tilt pivots. Not sure the od wire goes up the column that far but it might be worth checking.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Hey all! Thanks for your replies and thoughts on this problem. Truck is now at the tranny shop here in Red Deer, Alberta. I thought that I better have it looked at here while we are on a short layover for RV repairs. The thought of serious tranny issues on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere does not appeal to me at all. I think that there is definitely something funky going on with the wiring somewhere. Now even my signal indicators are doing weird things - not sure if related to the main issue or not. Likely a coincidence.

I will keep you posted on what the tranny wrench says although I'm sure that my best interests are not in his mind as he has to make a living. Where is that Vaseline jar?

Cheers all!

Mike
Old 10-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Soooooooooo, $4,000.00 later and we are good to go! New single disk billet output shaft TC and complete new internals with original VB. I will upgrade the VB as $ are available. SIGH!