24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2000 24 valve lots of issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 24 valve lots of issues

Alright guys, so I'm new to a diesel truck. I'm getting a 2000 24 valve 4x4 auto tranny but it has some problems.
It needs the steering gear box replaced (something I can do by myself I think?) seems simple enough with a pitman arm puller and some lineman wrenches.

Tappet cover gasket needs replaced (have shop do it)

Needs fluids flushed/filled (pretty much all of them)

Need park nutural switch, as well as a crankshaft position sensor. I think I'm going to try to do the crankshaft position sensor myself it seems simple besides dropping the starter. Comments?

The tach flutters when in low gear like it can't decide where to go. I was thinking its due to the crank sensor but possibly a torque converter.....advice?

Few other minor seals and gaskets that need replaced along with a few other minor cosmetic/operational items inside the cab and what not.

I'm getting the truck for around 5k with 225k miles on it and ive got 4K or so to throw at it.
The lift pump and injection pump really scare me about these trucks though, I know they are prone to go out and I know they are very expensive as well. Anything I can do to prevent it or anything I should always be checking or looking for. Or if anybody has any other general knowledge tips that a guy should know it would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to DTR!

I've never replaced a steering box so I can't advise on that.

Valve cover gasket is pretty straight forward, is easy to replace.

Changing fluids when getting any used vehicle is a good idea.

Neutral safety switch, what makes you think you need one of those?

You shouldn't have to change the crankshaft sensor unless you have no tach reading or trouble codes relating to it. The tach on our 24 valve engine tend to bounce a bit, especially at idle. Mine has done that since the day I've owned it.

For the lift pump, install a fuel pressure gauge and just keep an eye on it. You should consider getting a full gauge set, especially if you plan on towing. Fuel pressure, EGT, boost pressure, and transmission temperature since you have an auto transmission.

Look behind the radiator at the front of the engine and see if there is a ¾" hose connected to a vented plastic bottle. That is the breather bottle, aka, the puke bottle. If there is one on your engine, consider pulling the radiator when you change the coolant for cleaning. That bottle is notorious for the oily vapors coming out of it and making a mess of the front timing cover and radiator over time. Most guys here either get rid of the bottle and extend the hose down, or reroute the hose up and over the engine and down by the transmission.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Pulling starter isn't too bad except for top bolt...10mm IIRC. ..
Old 10-29-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 2,388 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Pulling starter isn't too bad except for top bolt...10mm IIRC. ..
Yes, they are 10MM 12 point bolts for the starter.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Check the contacts if you have it out, easy, cheap repair that will keep you from going dead in the water...