24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, 5-speed manual tranny WON'T START!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Going back to the original post, I thought you had said it was slow CRANKING, but after re reading it I can't see that, so.... the clutch dragging has no effect, sorry for misleading you. I once had a 4X4 that was slightly slow starting and the gears were hard to change, it was a slightly bent clutch disc that would drag, just replacing the disc fixed everything.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bdviper
no 32MPG is accurate. Computer says it and my own calculations prove it. Why is that so laughable? People have recorded all the way up to 39MPG as far as I have heard when tuned correctly.
32 mpg with a cummins is not possible, unless it's all down hill at 30 mph!!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bdviper
no 32MPG is accurate. Computer says it and my own calculations prove it. Why is that so laughable? People have recorded all the way up to 39MPG as far as I have heard when tuned correctly.
ok!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to ask if you work for a Chrysler dealership? Because they told me the same thing. Truth is there are a lot of Cummins out there getting mileage in the lower 30's...

Now to everyone else...I did have a problem with the alternator not working before...However the alternator was the issue so yeah crank sensor sounds like it is good then...

The cable to my starter was completely cut in 2 though...Which...May present a teency weency lite problem HAHAHA

I am trying to get it out and take a look at it...Problem is that it is -2 degrees out while I'm working on this thing...

Seems as well like I said before that there are some issues with the wire harness where the computers T's into it...

So my question is...The starter has been working fine up until this...Or it sounded fine...Is it possible that the cable wearing through...Well...Brewing chewed in 2 (there are raccoon feces and footprints down in there) could have been causing this and been making it steadily get worse? because right now if I hit the key I get nothing...Radio shuts off while the key is engaged but nothing happens...No clicks no nothing...Which like I said is almost definitely the cable...But if the cable slowly breaking caused the voltage to drop ever so slightly with every little bit of corrosion and strand disconnecting in the wire...Well...There would be my issue...Right?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:28 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Take a look at the smaller red cable to the starter- use a test light, it should turn on when you try to start.

One big fat cable messed up- chances are good that the small cable right besides it is also messed up.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 AM

I'll give it a shot...If those are messed up...Well I have a line on a brand new wire harness for $150...Would rather find a specific cable to replace but I know those cables are expensive...

Tuesday is supposed to be almost 60 out so I'll be trying it then... (Wednesday goes back down way below freezing...Bleh...But hopefully I have a running truck then)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
A bad vp won't produce 32 mpg....I don't think a good one can either...
Old 02-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Diesel power magazine souped up a 2nd gen cummins with an overdrive, shaved body, lowered suspension, moon caps, narrow high pressure tires, ground effects, no accessories and almost got to 30 mpg.

We all want to think our junk is magic, but revisit your math. There's no way your seeing 32 on pump diesel and a bad starter cable.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM

My math is not wrong...Clearly they didn't soup it up enough to get peak mpg...Diesel power magazine they are usually after power...I'm not...I'm after mileage...I've lost several power to do it and I don't care...Point is I did it...Kind of pissing me off that instead of trying to help all you want to focus on is a cockamamy idea that I can't do what I did...Chrysler told me the same thing and I proved them wrong. So if you want to help get the truck running again them please do...Otherwise stop criticizing that which you clearly don't know enough about to help.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
If you have a good jumper cable- connect battery minus on the driver's side to the block (look for good metallic contact) and try again to start it.
If it works, your problem is in the engine grounding system, if not, you lost a minute.
Another test would be with a jumper cable between battery plus and starter. You will need to hold the clamp and be very careful not to pull a short.
If your helper can start the truck- new starter cable time, if not, another 3 minutes "wasted" for diagnosis.

HTH
Did you do any of the diagnostic steps I suggested?

Do you own a test light?

If yes, use it on the starter signal wire while trying to start.

To rule out the clutch: Trry to roll the truck in Neutral. If it rolls, try to start in neutral. This should rule out most of the parts that could drag..

And do not insult the folks trying to help you on this thread.
They could get the impression that you want to throw parts on a problem and then blame everyone else on this forum if the world does not start to revolve around you.
The following users liked this post:
Kerley (05-27-2020)
Old 02-06-2017, 03:06 PM

It has been too cold out to do a whole lot, but yes I do own a test light. The truck never had any problems starting in neutral and it rolls just fine but it still stays dead when I hit the starter regardless of rolling stopped neutral or any gear. I've tried a few of the less intensive things you guys have suggested...But when the cold starts to hurt I have to stop...Tomorrow I will hook up the test light and see what happens.

Is it possible that the small cable is broken and the big cable is OK? I mean it will eventually need replaced anyways because there is a lot of corrosion...
Old 02-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Yep, it is perfectly possible that either one of the 2 cables to the starter breaks or corrodes off.

An it is quite often the case that a partially corroded starter cable melts, breaks off the starter while starting, shorts to the body or any other ground and burns down a vehicle.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Do you tilt your steering wheel up when you get out? If so try moving steering wheel down and up while trying to start it. I had a couple with a broken wire in the column from tilting steering wheel.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 PM

I'm thinkin a few things
Wiring-starting with battery cables
Wiring-ignition switch components
Wiring-neutral safety switch
Internals- starter contacts

Multi meter for the current flow through each, if juice at starter, get into armature and contacts.

Just what I come up with after reviewing...
The following users liked this post:
Kerley (05-27-2020)