24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1998 24 valve rear hub removal, 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1998 24 valve rear hub removal, 2wd

I tried to do my rear brakes today and couldn't get the 1st hub off??? Seems like last time all I needed to do was loosen the adjuster thingey (the one that is supposed to self adjust but never does worth a crap). ANyway. This time even though it felt loose,..I couldn't get it off. My guess is the brake pads are catching.

At my age I need to buy a puller anyway..so I see a couple of common ones out there for sale on amazon and what not (all of my pullers are too small to get something with this large of diameter).,. I don't know which one to buy. I doubt I will ever need it other than this truck or my 93 dodge rear hubs. So,..I'm sure all you guys out there have dealt with this many times. Which puller do you recommend???? Or do you recommend trying again and even loosening the adjuster more than I think I need to?

ok, anybody who could chime in I would appreciate it.
Thank you,
Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, these trucks came with outboard drums so they slip off, leaving the backplate/shoes/etc so don't bother trying to undo the hub yet. Once the adjuster is all the way in I usually whack the edge of the drum (like you are pounding it onto the truck) until it breaks free, then pry it off from the edge.

I've heard others had good luck by leaving the rear end on jack stands with the wheels off, and a few lug nuts on left loose. Then get the wheels up to speed and hit the brakes a few times and they come right off. I've never tried it though.

Either way a puller won't do much good.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, there is nothing rusted on and plenty of play.. So I guess I better loosen the adjust for many many turns and try it again. I ordered a universal puller just because I don't have the grip or strength I used to..can't hurt. But in the meatime,..If I get another warm afternoon..I'll spend a few minutes and turn the adjuster all the way in. I wish there was an easy way to turn the adjuster all the way in.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it moving off a bit them sticking or not moving at all?
The first time I did my rear brakes it took an hour to get the drums off. They are a real good snug fit over the hub. I had my son pulling on the drum while I beat the crap out of it with a plastic deadblow hammer. counter intuitive but hitting it on the edge like you were trying to put it on was what worked best.
Once I broke it loose I took a sanding drum on my drill and eased the fit by half a hair. Then I put lead based anti-seize around the inner rim where it sits on the hub. That took care of the sticking for the life of the drums.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I found that when they can be pulled for something like 5mm 1/4" and then get stuck that they jam the brake shoes on the unused and rusty portion of the drum.
What works for me in that situation is to lightly tap the drum with a rubber mallet, angling the taps so that the drum ties to turn a little bit. Sometimes I need to help the turning with a tire iron wedged between the wheel bolts and the center of the hub. This usually makes the shoes retract a bit and the drum comes off.

With the drum off I use a flapper wheel to remove the ridge that buils up towards the center of the vehicle where the shoes don't keep the drum clean.

I had to repair some brakes where a puller had been used and where the brake shoes and holders etc were mangled.