1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Left me listening to either NPR, or Dance/Club Montreal style music on the radio for a few hours in northern NY/VT just below the Canadian border.
Well that is just cruel and unusual punishment in my books!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well that is just cruel and unusual punishment in my books!
The CD player eating my Soulfly CD, and not giving it back was almost as cruel.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM

The CD player eating my Soulfly CD, and not giving it back was almost as cruel.
Yup....I would tear it apart to get it back. It's a conspiracy I'm sure...
Old 07-06-2015, 07:14 PM

My left turn signal bulb in the dash popped on, and stayed on, while I was out getting groceries. It does this if a running light is out. Checked the truck and my lower front fender side amber light was out.

Got home and popped in a new bulb...nothing. Hmmm try another bulb...nothing. Go get test light...have power to plug so should come on. Checking out the tangs in the plug and they looked a little compressed. So grab a pick and bend them out, insert 3rd bulb and still nothing.

OK now I'm getting cheesed. So go grab a couple alligator clip jump wires. Test all three bulbs...only one was working. OK put working bulb in again, still nothing. Decided to test connectors while bulb is in socket. Had test light on the ground, and had power on one side. Then switched test light to positive, no ground coming into bulb.

OK so I probe the wire on the outside of the connector....still no ground. Now I figure it must be a bad splice or broken wire. So I start pulling the wrap off the wiring. Noticed that the front turn signal/marker bulb also used the same wires, so figured they must join somewhere and that would be where my problem was. I Got it all off all the way back to the inner fender and the big bundle of wrapped wires there...Still no splice.

Name:  PICT0001_zpsikggjxy5.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  191.9 KB

I then went and got my FSM and started looking at the wiring diagrams. Appeared that there was no splice in the engine compartment. I went back out and was looking at things and then noticed that the front amber bulb was burnt out as well. I thought what would be the odds that if the front signal bulb was out, that the side bulb would not work either...well after a new front bulb the side one started working....

So there ya go folks I learned something new today, it only took me an hour or so to figure it out. Lesson learned is....if you have front side marker light out, and a new bulb doesn't fix the problem...check to make sure your front marker/signal light bulb is in good shape and working properly.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:33 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
So there ya go folks I learned something new today, it only took me an hour or so to figure it out. Lesson learned is....if you have front side marker light out, and a new bulb doesn't fix the problem...check to make sure your front marker/signal light bulb is in good shape and working properly.
Something I recently learned about the old A body Plymouth side marker lamps:_________________________________

They are not grounded. The two conductors from the lamp connections hook to the turn signal on that side and to the parking light or tail light buss

Here's how they work, there are several different configurations

DAYTIME, parking lights off. Turn signals off. No power to side lamps, they are out.

If you turn on the turn signal, the signal power goes to one wire of the side lamp on that side, and it "gets a ground" "in series" through the UNpowered parking lamps to ground

So in this situation, the lamp blinks on along with the signal lamp

NIGHT, parking / headlamps ON, turn signal OFF

In this case, the parking/ tail buss feeds power to one side of the side marker lamp, and it "goes to ground" through the UNpowered turn signal lamp, so the side lamp lights
NIGHT, parking/ head ON, turn signal BLINKING

In this case, in the blinking cycle, WHEN the main signal lamp is OUT, the side marker is ON just like above, because the side lamp is "getting a ground" through the UNpowered signal lamp to ground

BUT WHEN the signal lamp FLASHES ON, now you have power on BOTH SIDES of the side marker --power on one side of the lamp from the parking / tail lamp buss, and power on the other side of the lamp from the turn signal

SO IN THIS CASE the side marker blinks OFF when the main signal lamp blinks ON

__________________________________________________ _________
So... The front turn signals poor, or lack of circuit ground can have an effect on the side marker lamp.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:00 PM

Thanks T-Man....I figured it had to work along those lines. I had noticed before how the side marker light flashed opposite to the front turn signal...then once I discovered all this yesterday things started to click in my head.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm upgrading my power train and weight capacity. Installing a narrow dana 80 4:10 from a cab chassis, 3800lb Firestone foldover airbags in addition to stock D250 springs and a 518 transmission. This 72 in track should give me very close to the stock D250 track. Wheels are alcoa rated at 6000lb and tires are H rated 128psi 235/75/17.5 rated at 6000lb each. This should give me what I need to support the 7500lb tounge weight of my 30ft fifth wheel with 20,000lbs sitting on it.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:02 PM

I spent the day sweating my pelotas off. I can't imagine welding for a living....

Practiced up on my welding skills, although I should have picked a cooler day. Had a bunch of junk parts lying around, and I needed to make a butt dolley as some call it, but I forgot to attach a beer can / bottle holder on the side. Something I'll set aside for the next practice session....:drinkup:

Thanks to a friend and the local welding instructor I met, my welding skills have improved a bit....

Name:  0708151432_zpsjgyjvfhv.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  170.0 KB

Again, all scrap stuff. So far, cost of making it was some wet, sweaty clothes and some electricity....

Name:  0708151520_zpsd4xtdfil.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  238.0 KB

When the weather gets a bit cooler, I'll paint it, and cover the cushion...

Name:  0708151530_zpspo86oaoc.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  163.1 KB
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Those are some decent looking welds you laid down. Better then mine that's for sure.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:57 AM

Today, I finished my plow refurbishing and replaced the last parts needed to get the truck finished, and the plow back into storage.

New Truckside

Name:  0710151158a_zpszfdyrt98.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  253.8 KB

Name:  0710151524_zpsbgmvhfaq.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  165.7 KB
Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Today, I took a ride with the ball and chain to PA. Nice ride out, and got to see a few things at a little car show there. Fun day, to day the least.

A few first gens there, as that's what I really went to see. Not enough to go crazy over, but a few. Lots of cool cars though. Enjoyed seeing all the old rides from my memories..

The main attraction for a lot of folks (not me) was some "Duke Boy" turned old dude.... lol... I don't think he aged very well. Must have been all those hot babes in his life that wore him out...

Name:  0712151126_zpsasfkw5j0.jpg
Size:  194.4 KB

Of all the cars, this is the first choice I'd have for driving out of there. Not a Hemi, but close enough. I owned one for 20 years, and sold it for peanuts. There was a Hemi Dart there that made my eyes tear up.. great bunch of chryslers there.

Name:  0712151128_zpskjhbsxb9.jpg
Size:  150.8 KB

This was cool.

It's supposed to be the "Lost #43" that was found in a storage unit. They decided to keep it a piece of Richard Petty History, by leaving all the Bird doo doo on it. Hemi 4 speed, IIRC.

Name:  0712151131_zpsyvmgvukp.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  151.7 KB

Fun day.... hot, but not overwhelming.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:05 PM

**** NJTMan, I had a cold beer in the show field for you old boy!
Did you see my old black crew cab on the show field.
I was right at the top of the shale hill, easy to see from most of the show ground.
I just got back from a great weekend with my daughter.
We put over a 1000 trouble free miles on the old crew.
We had some good times, saw some cool Mopars, met some old friends and made some new ones [MrFusion was one of them].
Old 07-12-2015, 09:13 PM

I went to the local Mopar's unlimited show today with my daughter as well. Took the old 68 T/C Wagon though...so not 1st Gen specific. Was a decent day.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 PM

**** NJTMan, I had a cold beer in the show field for you old boy!
Did you see my old black crew cab on the show field.
I was right at the top of the shale hill, easy to see from most of the show ground.
I just got back from a great weekend with my daughter.
We put over a 1000 trouble free miles on the old crew.
We had some good times, saw some cool Mopars, met some old friends and made some new ones [MrFusion was one of them].
Looked all over for the truck, but only see 1 crew 1st gen, but it was not black and 2we.
Walked the entire show twice looking for you.
Oh well. Maybe next time
Old 07-12-2015, 09:31 PM

We left at about 11AM to start the almost 10 HR trek home.
I saw Bo Duke walk in to the signing this morning at 9:30, and the line was already 60+ people deep.
I was sad to see him show up driving a O.J Simpson year/style Ford Bronco.
I looked at the Mopar buddy I was talking to and said, "Could someone get this guy a Ramcharger, quick."
It was a great weekend with my kid though!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?