1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
Last weekend, I installed a B&W receiver hitch on my pile, HDRH25122, rated for 16,000lbs GVW and 1,600lbs TW with a weight distribution system; 15,000lbs GVW and 1,500lbs TW without weight distribution. Picked it up on Amazon through a place called Autoplicity for $157(?) with free shipping. Not bad at all considering MSRP is around $250.

What a stout and solid unit! I don't have any near future plans to tow anything but just wanted to ability to if the need ever arises. And, although, it's rated for so much weight, I wouldn't plan on coming near that with a conventional tow. Should I start to push 12,000lbs, I'd prefer to go gooseneck. Just the added assurance of having a buffer. I've always gone a little overkill on somethings .
That's a darn good deal! And looks great!

I think I will have to add that to my want list. I have a class 4 hitch that is good to 10K lbs...but like yourself I'd rather have a little too much, then not enough.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
That's a darn good deal! And looks great!

I think I will have to add that to my want list. I have a class 4 hitch that is good to 10K lbs...but like yourself I'd rather have a little too much, then not enough.
Your list seems to be growing daily.......
Old 07-04-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I thought that was normal
Old 07-04-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have been fixing up a stock motored, basically rust free California '91 RCLB W-250 with 232,xxx miles on it for the last two months.
I just got it back on the road yesterday and put 60 miles on it.

Things that where done to fix the old girl up:
Rebuilt a different Getrag, as the previous owner RUINED the last Getrag with 75W-90 in it.
Fresh South Bend Con O clutch
Dis assembled, inspected and re-sealed the NP-205
Rear main seal on 12V and some fresh drive shaft joints.
Newer set of tires and rims as the old set had a busted tire belt on a front tire giving it the shakes.
Addressed some ghetto wiring - the head lights came on when you put it in reverse!
I pulled the AM/FM tape deck for a CD player I had on the shelf.
The exhaust needed a few hangers.
Removed the goofy K+N filter and re-install a factory air box.
Hammered out a dent on the fender.
Swapped in fresh head light bulbs, and tail light lenses.
Checked all the fluids, changed some.
Swapped a color matching fiberglass capper on it that I had already.
Yesterday I had a local shop install one of my spare OEM Mopar windshields for $40 which was the last stumbling block in getting it an inspection sticker.

I still would like to address the sun burned west coast interior that looks like it housed a dog for many months.
I'll be swapping the shredded bench seat, driver's door panel, seat belts, the rubber floor mat and jut padding and also adding some good 6X9 speakers to the doors at the same time.
The drivers window track needs some love, as it will not go all the way down.

Oh, and I will also tune the pump soon.
Right after I get the pyro and boost gauge off the bench seat where it sits, and hooked up.
I will adjust the governed RPM up, the fuel up and then the idle down.

My next big hurdle will be getting the post that the tailgate straps hang on welded back in as the last guy saw-z-alled them off to install a large metal, old school, gypsy style camper.
I have the mint tailgate and straps for it, just no strap posts on the bed to hang it from…
I am planning on cutting out some sheet metal and the stud out of a rotten bed, then weld them in from behind, removing the tail lights for access.
Time for me to dust off the welder.
sounds like fun
Old 07-04-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
It has been fun.

I threw another 70 miles on the '91 yesterday.

It added to my list of things to do as well, as I find stuff that acts funny.
Like one head light doesn't always stay on when you switch from highs to lows and back again.
Found that out driving home for the local firework show last night.
Hit a few bumps and it comes back on.
Looks like chasing do some grounds and checking wire connections is on my list now…
Old 07-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
I thought that was normal
That's what has to happen when you have all these smart and talented people bettering their trucks. Gotta try and keep up with the Jone's right.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
It has been fun.

I threw another 70 miles on the '91 yesterday.

It added to my list of things to do as well, as I find stuff that acts funny.
Like one head light doesn't always stay on when you switch from highs to lows and back again.
Found that out driving home for the local firework show last night.
Hit a few bumps and it comes back on.
Looks like chasing do some grounds and checking wire connections is on my list now…
The stock headlight wiring is ridiculous. Feed wires are light, with the longest possible routing, and the ground wires are even worse.

Put in Jim's headlight relay mod.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:11 AM

Adjusted the AC charge in the crewcab...got it just about right. Even with manual shut off valves on the heater hoses, and the truck running down the hwy, it still only blows cool air. That PS IC does not allow proper air flow across the AC condenser I guess.

So I think I am going to do a remote condenser and dual fans up under the passenger side of the bed. Kind of like the super duty tranny cooler option for the auto trucks. I have a universal parallel flow condenser I had bought for another project, but never used. It's 14" x 24" and will fit nicely up under the bed with a couple simple brackets.

Then some hoses and fittings, and some relays and wiring and dual 12" fans, and I hope to have nice cold AC again.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
This was an exciting day.

Yesterday, I came down my local I-10 freeway on ramp where it is under construction and had to merge at 65 mph to keep from getting hit when I took my foot off the throttle and I quickly realized I was not slowing down but speeding up as I was headed for the slowing traffic.

Seem my throttle was stuck almost to the floorboard, I tried to free the pedal with my foot but it felt like the return spring had come loose, trying to figure the best thing to do in a matter of seconds not wanting to uncouple the load so I applied the brakes and begin to slow the truck down, first thing I saw was the transmission temperature gauge bury itself past 250*, I made my way to the next off ramp, stopped at the red light the I was building lots of boost waiting for it to turn green in about a half mile I was able to pull over where I could check to see what had happened, I left it in gear when I turned off the stop switch.

Opening the hood I could see the pump lever was at least 3/4 throttle, disconnecting the heim joint it dropped off to idle.

So a look under the dash I found the reason for the wild ride, when I had to dust off the throttle, the back end of the throttle cable under the dash got stuck on some wires that were neatly bundled but somehow got in the way, I rerouted and secured them.

I discovered that my brakes are not too effective holding the truck back once it is moving under throttle, or my engine produces more kilowatts of energy than the brakes can retard.

I think it is time for a Positive Air Shutoff.

Oh and about 2 weeks ago I discovered that my 1 year old heater core from Pep Boys started leaking coolant into the cab, luckily it has a shutoff in the line, I would smell coolant only after hard throttle, figured it was from the higher pressures.

Anyway I had Pep Boys order me a new heater core from somewhere in Indiana or? and after inspecting it I told him it was junk and I would not accept it, this went on for almost 3 weeks as the girl special ordered my 9 more heater cores until I found one that was acceptable, most of them had sloppy soldering and most of them were already corroded because they failed to neutralize the soldering acid, it was already green.

After about the 6th core the girl said she already knew what I would accept and said I junk kept ordering them for you till we got a good one.

She went above and beyond to find me a good core and make me happy.

They were made by Spectra supposed to be new and were junk.

So as soon as it cools off here in So Cal I will have to discharge my AC and replace the heater core again.

Jim
Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Who woulda thunk it. Jim Lane's electrical mods bite him in the throttle.

Why don't you hydro test the new heater core before you install it?

I'm gonna cry when mine gives out. Still running original AC and R-12 charge. Truck came from NW. Probably never ran the AC till I brought it back to the Midwest.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Pulled my sagging headliner and reglued it. While it was out, I popped a dent above the cargo light out. Replaced some of the trim pieces putting the liner back in. Gotta do something about my leaf springs.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 PM

Did some AC diagnosis today. Wanted to see if the AC would blow cooler with no Power Stroke Intercooler in front of the condenser. So I pulled the front of the truck apart, then stuffed an old fan in front to help blow air across the condenser.

Name:  PICT0001_zpsxmobv1cp.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  216.2 KB

Name:  PICT0003_zpsedwoyq3f.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  182.0 KB

It was 37*C (approx 105*F) and with no IC in the front I was seeing about 57*F from the vents. After reassembly I ran the truck again and the temps jumped up to about 65*F.

So clearly the Intercooler is causing the efficiency of the system to drop.

Only problem I ran into was one of my intercooler boot clamps snapped.

Name:  PICT0004_zpsz3466g0f.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  175.2 KB

Thankfully I had a spare big one from ??? That worked as a replacement.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Man, TC. I knew I liked you...

You're one of the only people I know ( virtual and real ) that would take the time to disassemble their ,truck to see if their ac was working right...

I thought I was the only crazy one here....
Lol

Last edited by NJTman; 07-05-2015 at 09:55 PM. Reason: 47th ???? Stupid cell phone autocorrect
Old 07-05-2015, 09:51 PM

Man, TC. I knew I liked you...

You're one of the only people I know ( virtual and real ) that would take the time to disassemble their ,truck to see if their ac was working right...

I thought I was 47th only crazy one here....
Lol
Us nuts have to gather somewhere I guess....
Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Yesterday afternoon, I made a newer stronger, exhaust hanger for the tailpipe of the custom 4 inch D.E. front Down pipe / T-case pipe, then with a MBRP 2nd gen system I made fit on back half of my black crew.

After dinner I swapped out the used aftermarket CD player in my black crew last night.
It got a Soulfly disk stuck in it last week. After a while it would not eject it or play it.
Left me listening to either NPR, or Dance/Club Montreal style music on the radio for a few hours in northern NY/VT just below the Canadian border.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?