1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well arch before I started, and after I was done, lost exactly 1.5" on each side. And I can say the ride is like night and day!! I used to cringe every time I ran over a manhole cover in the road....now it just absorbs the bump and you barely feel it.

I couldn't be happier with the ride so far. Although I've only put a couple miles on it, but so far so good!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:13 PM

Well today I decided to see where my "bang/Clunk" was coming from in the front end. I was pretty sure it was the steering box, but had my neighbour crank the wheels back and forth while I watched and listened.

Sure enough the box torqued in one direction, then when direction and torque was applied in the opposite direction I got a bang. And you could see that the steering box had a lot of movement.

Pulled the battery, and IC tube on the DS and lifted up the splash guard. Found one bolt half out and loose. One other was just starting to loosen up. So I removed the two I could remove, cleaned them up and blue loctited them in place. The other two I backed out as for as I could, more blue loctite, and then tightened back up.

Cycled the steering again once everything was back together and all seems well.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I worked on making a metal turn signal stalk. I have two plastic ones one broken the other cracked. So far I am in the design stage but I have most of the parts I need.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Transferred the two plates from the original pack to the new spring and installed. Required a couple clamps to compress the spring so I could get the threads started on the center bolt. Then it was just snug everything up and make sure all the plates and springs stayed in alignment.

Then once both side were done I had to lower the truck back down and get everything to line up. Had to go back and forth taking a few inches out of each side to slowly lower it back down. Once the weight was on the springs I installed the spring clamps. Then finished re-installing everything. Only had to cut about 3/4" to 1" off the U-bolts to make up for the difference in spring pack thickness.

All done and ready to go.

Hey TC, where did you get your sway bar to frame bushings? The blue ones? Did they come as a kit including the end link rubbers?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Hey TC, where did you get your sway bar to frame bushings? The blue ones? Did they come as a kit including the end link rubbers?
I think the frame mount bushings, the blue ones, were from Moog. The end link bushings were just some spare poly bushings I had laying around, on the original links.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:07 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
I stripped the block down, pulled the VE and resealed the fuel pin, shutoff lever, both sides of the KSB valve, top cover, RPM lever, and power screw. I think those were all the orings I could find easily. I didn't mess with the bottom end of the pump any further, the pump looked to be in good shape. Oh, and I had already replaced the two on the weird fuel line up front, and the input shaft seal.

I'll be replacing the oil pan gasket, front crank seal, tappet and timing cover gaskets tomorrow prior to paint.

I'm painting the block , pan and front cover/accy's apex red, with gloss black valve covers and IP.

Or maybe the IP should be red as well? Fuel lines will be black. bought 8 cans of brake cleaner.

Prepped for a fuel heater delete as well.'

Did 60lb valve springs yesterday. will be running an HE300VG turbo with a Steed Banshee II stand alone VGT controller / Exhaust brake.

Low pressure LP installed.

Thinking of leaving the tappet cover "sound insulation" off. It is crusty.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
will be running an HE300VG turbo with a Steed Banshee II stand alone VGT controller
Please let us know all about how that goes . . . I think it should be a great set-up, but haven't read to much about anyone running it.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
I stripped the block down, pulled the VE and resealed the fuel pin, shutoff lever, both sides of the KSB valve, top cover, RPM lever, and power screw. I think those were all the orings I could find easily. I didn't mess with the bottom end of the pump any further, the pump looked to be in good shape. Oh, and I had already replaced the two on the weird fuel line up front, and the input shaft seal.

I'll be replacing the oil pan gasket, front crank seal, tappet and timing cover gaskets tomorrow prior to paint.

I'm painting the block , pan and front cover/accy's apex red, with gloss black valve covers and IP.

Or maybe the IP should be red as well? Fuel lines will be black. bought 8 cans of brake cleaner.

Prepped for a fuel heater delete as well.'

Did 60lb valve springs yesterday. will be running an HE300VG turbo with a Steed Banshee II stand alone VGT controller / Exhaust brake.

Low pressure LP installed.

Thinking of leaving the tappet cover "sound insulation" off. It is crusty.
Cool Is this one going in the Ford?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Yup, it is the motor out of the 1991.0 going in the '87 F350 Crew.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
Yup, it is the motor out of the 1991.0 going in the '87 F350 Crew.
Cool,
Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Dealt with a little carnage. Truck failed to proceed.

Name:  Flex%20Plate%20Carnage_zpscdgiu1ox.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  139.8 KB
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Dealt with a little carnage. Truck failed to proceed.

. JM- what are you replacing it with? One off of a 2nd gen? That looks like mine when I yanked it out in 2010
Old 02-03-2015, 10:05 PM

Wow....That is seriously F'd up!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
. JM- what are you replacing it with? One off of a 2nd gen? That looks like mine when I yanked it out in 2010
I bought a used SFI rated plate for $100 last summer. It's been behind the driver's seat since. It's considerably heavier than this piece of junk.

My son beat me in the good deal department. When his went last year, he found a new one in a retired Fummins builder's parts pile and paid $25 for it.

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Wow....That is seriously F'd up!
It went from inaudible to that in about a mile. DW was driving. she's a wild one, she is.

Here's the flexplate

PRW 1835910 Platinum Series SFI 29.1 Rated Steel Flexplate
Old 02-04-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the drivers side window motor. Plugged it in and the polarity was backwards... Thought that was wierd. Re pinned te two wires on the plug and good to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?