1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did my steering go so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
Pat is 100% right on with that advice.

You should be able to see something loose with a helper working the steering wheel as you check things out.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Good advice so far, but the very first thing I would do is while it is setting on the ground, engine off, a helper, any helper at the wheel, have them turn the wheel back and forth while you physically start at the bottom of the steering column and following it all the way to the tie rod ends, inspecting each and every area while it is in motion. If it is not the axle u-joints, something WILL be moving excessively, or worse, flopping around.

If the truck is as loose as you describe, this one shouldn't be too difficult to see where it is coming from, here again, assuming it isn't the axle u-joint.

I would pay very, very close attention to the frame, mounting bracket, and bolts of the steering box......... Because to me, it sounds like something broke while you were driving.
I recently replaced my adapter plate after the old one broke (thanks Oliver) and it was easy to see the broken plate through the fender well. I don't know if they break the same or not, but I could clearly see that the bottom bolt hole ear was completely broken off and the front one was cracked with another half inch to being completely broken off. The top one was not yet cracked...Mark
Attached Thumbnails What did my steering go so bad?-plate.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I recently replaced my adapter plate after the old one broke (thanks Oliver) and it was easy to see the broken plate through the fender well. I don't know if they break the same or not, but I could clearly see that the bottom bolt hole ear was completely broken off and the front one was cracked with another half inch to being completely broken off. The top one was not yet cracked...Mark
Mine broke the same. Same exact spot. I got lucky on a replacement. Back in like 2010, I went to the local Dodge dealer in town, to pick up the 45 degree angled bracket that dodgeconnection.com carries. When I called the dealer, they said they had that specific part. The bag they handed me was all white and sealed. When I got home and opened it up, I got furious cause what they accidentally sold me was that steering bracket. I said, what the heck, for $45 brand new, I'll just keep it. Ya never know.
In 2015 mine cracked like Marks did. Glad I kept that spare one.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Billut, your steering symptoms are exactly what I went through years ago. Front axle u-joints! Driving on the freeway I was suddenly fighting the wheel to stay in my lane, first to the right then to the left. Getting off the freeway it didn't want to turn right then suddenly "released" and I made the right hand bend in the offramp. Scary $#@!T. Do as others have recommended and check everything out to make sure all components are safe. Then put jack stands under the front diff, unlock the steering column, work the steering by hand and figure out which axis of the u-joint(s) is(are) frozen. If you find one axis on each axle that works, you may be able to wire the axle so that it doesn't rotate far enough to mess with the steering. Drive at your own risk and don't kill nobody!