1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Wandering/Not Self Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Mine had wonky steering, like you describe. Pretty good, but constant minor adjustments to keep it going straight. I lost the caster effect, steering back to straight on its own. That could have been the mounting plate as it self destructed a little while back. I went ahead and bit the bullet on a Redhead and Wow! what a difference. it is like a new truck. No more wondering. I am going to do an RR setup just because the plate worries me and they are getting rarer. What a lousy truck, only 300k+ miles, I'm going to try to get Dodge to warranty it ...Mark
Exactly, I have no caster effect.

So the Redhead box made it drive great again, huh? Any chance you would sell me yours when you upgrade to RR?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
If you're planning on a new steering gear (which I'm not necessarily convinced you need .... yet), it is advisable to have YOURS rebuilt, replace the PS pressure and return lines, and replace the pump creating a new, clean system. 24 years of use, it is possible to have debris from hose deterioration, whereas the old fluid contaminates the newly refreshed gear, throwing away the money you're gonna spend on it. I personally agree with Mark that the auto parts store units are CRAP....

BTW, when Chip originally did my gear, I originally used a Napa PS pump and new hoses, which the pump eventually failed. Chip built me a new pump, and it's been perfect ever since.

These reman units are not worth the money you waste on them, unless it's a professional rebuilder such as Powersteering.com (Chip retired) or Redhead units.
I agree with you on all of this except the new pump. Since the "new" pumps are junk like we all know, I will flush my original pump as best I can. Coupled with a new box and hoses, I should have another 200K trouble free miles.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
I agree with you on all of this except the new pump. Since the "new" pumps are junk like we all know, I will flush my original pump as best I can. Coupled with a new box and hoses, I should have another 200K trouble free miles.
I wish I kept my original ps pump. Would have had it bench tested for proper pressure regulation, and rebuilt by a professional outfit like chip or redhead. They both recommend replacement or rebuilding the original. Its not expensive, and worth the peace of mind.

Live and learn, I guess
Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Exactly, I have no caster effect.

So the Redhead box made it drive great again, huh? Any chance you would sell me yours when you upgrade to RR?
I am not sure if it was the redhead or the steering plate, but I suspect that it was the plate. I already have a member here that wants it, but if he decides not to, you're next in line...Mark
The following users liked this post:
bigragu (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
I wish I kept my original ps pump. Would have had it bench tested for proper pressure regulation, and rebuilt by a professional outfit like chip or redhead. They both recommend replacement or rebuilding the original. Its not expensive, and worth the peace of mind.

Live and learn, I guess
I'm with you on this T, you will not find a better part than the original, usually. I was so happy when I dug my Impala out of my garage after 19 years and found the original starter in the trunk. I remember replacing it with a Checker reman unit, but I must have been dumb enough to get a Checker starter and smart enough to keep the original ...Mark
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (03-25-2017)