1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Turn Signal popping fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Was up at noon today and with six hours before the night shift I decided to dive back into this. I started again in the right front corner, traced the wires to where they enter the cab. Then even though I'm sure the issue is not at the back I traced the wires back to the bumper, found one splice that didn't look to good along the frame by the fuel tank. Replaced it, then triple checked all connections for trailer wires.

Still have the issue. So I took the steering column apart to check wires at the switch for loose connection or possible pinch in tilt. All good. As I was putting covers back on I pressed the four way flasher switch with out realizing it. Got it all back together went to test signal, had nothing no flashy flashy any where.

Double checked fuse, swapped flasher with four way flasher, nothing. As I climbed back in truck I saw I had hit the button.

So now I have another issue four way flashers do not work.. I've never used them so I don't know that they have ever worked. Once I turned them off signals worked but I still blow the fuse when trying to signal right.

Am I wrong to think these problems are tied together, or is it just coinsedence? Guess tomorrow I will be studying the in cab wire diagram in my FSM, because I now think my problem lies under the dash some where.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Hillbilly66
Was up at noon today and with six hours before the night shift I decided to dive back into this. I started again in the right front corner, traced the wires to where they enter the cab. Then even though I'm sure the issue is not at the back I traced the wires back to the bumper, found one splice that didn't look to good along the frame by the fuel tank. Replaced it, then triple checked all connections for trailer wires.

Still have the issue. So I took the steering column apart to check wires at the switch for loose connection or possible pinch in tilt. All good. As I was putting covers back on I pressed the four way flasher switch with out realizing it. Got it all back together went to test signal, had nothing no flashy flashy any where.

Double checked fuse, swapped flasher with four way flasher, nothing. As I climbed back in truck I saw I had hit the button.

So now I have another issue four way flashers do not work.. I've never used them so I don't know that they have ever worked. Once I turned them off signals worked but I still blow the fuse when trying to signal right.

Am I wrong to think these problems are tied together, or is it just coinsedence? Guess tomorrow I will be studying the in cab wire diagram in my FSM, because I now think my problem lies under the dash some where.
They are tied together. Both functions are in the multifunction switch, which is replaced as an assembly. Not really all that expensive either.

Before you do, though, troubleshoot the 4 way flashers. It's a separate fuse and flasher. If they also blow a fuse, the trouble could be in the swich or the wiring. If the 4-ways work and the turn signals don't, (assuming both fuses are good at the start) the trouble has to be in the multifunction switch.

My baliwick is matrix analysis. However, it's pretty hard to solve a matrix without most of the pieces.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 PM

Thanks J, I checked the four way fuse, it was good. But I need to test for power to it. I ran out of time to do that before work. The flasher is good as I switched it and the signal flasher. As for the switch, it's new, (I won't say good, for I've had faulty parts out of the box) I replaced that when this issue started.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I have had issues with the front marker lights in the fenders causing blown fuses. They flash alternately w/turn signals.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 AM

It's part of the turn signal circuit in a weird way ^^^^.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by dodgenstein
I have had issues with the front marker lights in the fenders causing blown fuses. They flash alternately w/turn signals.
How did you resolve the issue? Did just changing the bulbs do it?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I tested by removing the marker bulb. Found a shorted socket and replaced the subharness where it went into the marker.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by dodgenstein
I tested by removing the marker bulb. Found a shorted socket and replaced the subharness where it went into the marker.
Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find that socket tomorrow, well I guess now it would be later today.

In my mind I had ruled out the fender light because, correct me if I'm wrong here. I thought that because the marker light works and doesn't blow a fuse, that the socket wouldn't be shorted?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can find that socket tomorrow, well I guess now it would be later today.

In my mind I had ruled out the fender light because, correct me if I'm wrong here. I thought that because the marker light works and doesn't blow a fuse, that the socket wouldn't be shorted?
The marker light gets power from the marker circuit, and grounds through the turn signal circuit, through the turn signal filament of the bulb. That is why it blinks off when the turn signal turns on. Both terminals of the marker bulb are then at 12V.

The wire in that socket that goes to the turn signal, if grounded, would allow the marker to work normally, but blow a turn signal fuse.

You might be able to see that the right marker is slightly brighter than the left one.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:25 PM

Thanks again. I tested my four way circuit. No power, or ground at the fuse. Turned four way switch on and I received a reading of 0.0 volt on my power probe. So that has me thinking at least the four way part of the multi switch is good. When I have more time I will pull column back down and check wires to and from switch.

I put power to four way fuse with power probe, and they started flashing. Did not blow fuse or trip breaker on probe.

Would that rule out the fender bulb socket, and all wiring outside of cab as my problem with turn signals?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Does the clock spring have anything to do with the turn signals? I have been chasing wires and grounds. Got in the truck checked signal right side worked normal while the right turn was on I turned the steering wheel and the fuse blew. No I'm back to blowing fuse with right turn.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Does the clock spring have anything to do with the turn signals? I have been chasing wires and grounds. Got in the truck checked signal right side worked normal while the right turn was on I turned the steering wheel and the fuse blew. No I'm back to blowing fuse with right turn.
No, but the cable to the multi-function switch is probably rubbing on the steering shaft in the column. That's where your problem is.

Horn and cruise control is the only thing going through the clock spring.

If you go into the top of the column to get to the multi-function switch, be sure to follow instructions perfectly. You don't want to fuddle the clock spring.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
No, but the cable to the multi-function switch is probably rubbing on the steering shaft in the column. That's where your problem is.

Horn and cruise control is the only thing going through the clock spring.

If you go into the top of the column to get to the multi-function switch, be sure to follow instructions perfectly. You don't want to fuddle the clock spring.
Thank you. That's what I thought, I just wanted to double check.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:00 PM

Finally got some time to dive back into this issue. Started chasing wires under the hood where I left off. Going to the right side there is a tan wire and a black wire with yellow stripe. Blk/ylw comes out of bulkhead to left lights where it splits and runs two wires back to the firewall, around to the right side lights. I found in that wire at left marker a bad splice. Also the green wire to left lights I found a bad splice. Repaired those and after a preliminary test of just turning on key turn signals worked as they should both sides. Now to wrap all the wiring back up, and go for a drive and see what happens.

Still need to chase the wiring in the four way circuit to get those working but I am not as concerned about those as I am turn signals.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:05 AM

Well, after two days of driving it down the rough dirt road to work, I no longer blow the fuse when I try to signal right.

I now have an even larger electrical gremlin that decided to come out and play last night. When I applied the right turn signal I lost all power and the truck died. I thought it was just a fluk and maybe the fss wire came loose so I made sure it was tight started truck applied right signal, truck died.

Guess I'm back to hand signals until the weekend when I can dig into the wires again.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal popping fuse