1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Turbo...turbo.....turbo?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Turbo...turbo.....turbo?

Alright gentelmen here it is the same question many of you that are probably tired of answering. Which turbo would be the best upgade from stock. The truck is completly stock (has a manual and is a 4x4) and will get all of it's new goodies at once. They will include BHAF, KDP, electric fan, 3-piece manifold, new sticks (not sure on which ones yet), pump tweak, porting in the long term, and gauges ect. I have read as many of the fourms that I was able to find and it makes my head hurt reading the vast opinions. This truck will be a daily driver and tow from time to time. I would like a reliable 350 HP at the RW. Heres the catch I know with big sticks and a few other cheapier mods I can come close to my goal however, In a nut shell I really want the engine to breath easy and have efficent combustion vs. smoking the sky away. I would like a 4in off of the housing all the way to the tale of the truck and run a max of 38-40 PSI. So there it is let me know what you think. I appreciate the time and knowledge you share with us rookies. Thanks a mill-Corey
Old 02-07-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think you need to decide which injectors you want first, then match the trubo to the injectors
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Well, first go to User CP and click Edit Signature. Add what kind of truck you have.

If it is a 89-early 91, then you won't need the sticks.

The electric fan won't net you much if any HP. Neither will the 3 piece manifold.

Now to the meat and taters of this post.

If you have the 92 with the 21 cm lagmaster exhaust housing, anything will be a upgrade form stock. Get a 12 cm for the smoke issue but you will have EGT issues. So a 16cm will help.

Get a GDS stage II or III which is equal to HTT's Stage III or IV compressor upgrade. They will give you the whistle of a semi truck,and be cheaper than a HX-35 unless you find one for dirt cheap.

350 RWHP is pretty easy. Anything over 400 RWHP in these rigs is going to cost you.

Jon
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Why do you suggest the GDS turbo upgrade over the HTT? Are they cheaper or something?

Ada381, I have pretty much the same goal as you. 350whp safe EGT daily driver. I'm using a ported 12cm exhaust and will be getting the upgraded compressor. The biggest thing to remember trying to make 350whp safely where you can hold your foot to the floor is DONT go crazy with injectors. Get some just big enough, otherwise the extra fuel will just make heat. I am thinking about some 315's or DDP III's. I'm sticking around 38psi so I will be porting everything I can to get airflowing.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM

A set of 370's and a 60/16 H1C and a little W/M and you'd be there. Probably more H2O than Meth. LOL // However if you're gonna work it hard then the 370's will need a valet.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Yes, GDS is cheaper and they offer the equivelent to the HTT Stage III which they no longer have.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info and I should of said it is a 93. Like before I understand big sticks can make things happen and I do not want water/meth. The whole point is to have CLEAN and COMPLETE burn of the fuel with little smoke. I undestand the manifold and fan wont yield much I am fine with that they are upgrades that are just part of the plan. More so I am looking to see if the HX40 would be a good choice vs HX35 or a compressor upgrade. Basically I want to buy some good injectors (maybe 330's DDP4's looking around a 40% increase and clean) and be able to use them without blowing clouds. Think equaling air increase to fuel increase. Thanks again
Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 PM

pwrtipls1 hit it on the head, I want to have moderate sticks and not have extra fuel to burn. I want enough air to compensate for the fuel so it will balance.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM

Well then Nos is the easy way for complete burn. If you want to spool a 40 then you're gonna have a good bit of a cloud without the N02. DDP4's are approximatley 435's and are alot larger than 330's.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 AM

I know you can hit 300whp with 190's and tweeked pump, but I want that extra 50, hence the screen name. lol

I dont mind a puff of black off the line at hard acceleration but after that I want it clear and fast. So far I am leaning towards some matched 330's to meet my goal. Currently I get 27mpg at 65mpg all highway and I dont want that to suffer like I know it would with POD's.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:39 AM

I just and I mean "just" put my Gillet Diesel 60mm wheel and compressor housing upgrade on and I LOVE IT!!! this truck couldn't get out of it's own way when I bought it last may, bone stock!, but with a few pump tweeks and bumped timing and now the fuel pin mod with this 16/60 turbo upgrade, OMG! I love this thing more and more. I drive it more than I do my 04 now.. DDP 80HP sticks, here I come!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:38 AM

I've got a stock '90, and I'm in a weird position on this board since I don't care how fast it is, as long as it'll hit 70mph and pull a LOT of weight while getting the best fuel mileage possible. What's the best turbo for something like that? Would it need new injectors too? I'm planning on getting a PowerStroke or 2nd/3rd gen intercooler also.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Ada381
pwrtipls1 hit it on the head, I want to have moderate sticks and not have extra fuel to burn. I want enough air to compensate for the fuel so it will balance.
An HTB2 with a 12 cm (or anybody else's equivalent) should fit nicely with what you want to do. It's gonna be a little doggy until you get the injectors in, though.

Keep in mind that the low injection pressure of the VE vs. VP44 or commonrail trucks means that when we flow a lot of fuel it is gonna smoke some simply because there is not enough pressure to atomize all that fuel.

Originally Posted by Machinos
I've got a stock '90, and I'm in a weird position on this board since I don't care how fast it is, as long as it'll hit 70mph and pull a LOT of weight while getting the best fuel mileage possible. What's the best turbo for something like that? Would it need new injectors too? I'm planning on getting a PowerStroke or 2nd/3rd gen intercooler also.
I'd just do a compressor upgrade and tune the power screw for the EGT you are willing to live with. You don't need bigger injectors for your goal. Your injectors can put out more fuel than the cooling system can handle under a towing load.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:14 PM

What kind of compressor upgrade should I look at?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinos
What kind of compressor upgrade should I look at?
Either the High Tech Turbo stage III or the Gilette Diesel stage II. They're both the same 60mm wheel and housing combo, all Holset parts.

Search this Thread