1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

To those of you that installed a 4" exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
To those of you that installed a 4" exhaust system

Did you all reuse the bracket that originally supported the 1st hanger immediately once the down pipe went horizontal? The bracket is piggybacked on a tranny to engine connection bolt. If you did not keep a hanger at that point, that would mean the exhaust is supported at the turbo and the next form of support is at the muffler. All ok?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have a Diamond Eye 4" headpipe and a Banks Exhaust out the back, when I installed the headpipe I made a new hanger from the transmission to hold the 4" pipe, I did not want any unnecessary weight hanging off the flange of the turbo.

Also you need support at this joint because when it is connected to the remainder of the exhaust system, all of the twisting from the engine idling and torque origionates from this joint, some use a section of flex pipe but I do not have room and I do not like rattles so I am thinking about a stainless steel isolator.

Jim
Old 04-23-2015, 04:59 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
I had one on my Pinnacle 4" but when I put on my Diamond Eye a couple months ago I left it off. Probably should fab up something though.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:13 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I modified the bracket's "foot" with a grinder, and then used a bigger 4 inch clamp.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
I had to fab one. My aftermaket turbo moved the pipe down and outboard.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I used a heavy duty universal hanger, and a large clamp, mounted to the floorboard in the truck. The OEM bracket was snapped off in my truck.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm exactly at this point myself... looks like I'll have to fab up a new mount as well. Does nothing bolt in these days.....

Old 04-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I tossed mine, shortened the bolt and put it back in the bellhousing. It's been like that for over a year now without a problem. I intended to fab something up but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm going to take a weeks vacation in May or June and have a lot of stuff I'll be doing that I've been gathering parts for, so maybe I'll do it then.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone run twins on a 1st gen and if so what exhaust do you use? How is the fit by the T-case?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I was just working on this. Not only is Jim right about all of the strain from the relative motion of the engine to the rest of the truck being concentrated at that point, but there is nothing else locating the exhaust fore and aft. So, without that solid mount at the bellhousing, if you back into something with the tailpipe, the whole exhaust gets shoved forward and torques on the turbo & exhaust manifold. Maybe the down pipe will just bend, but that 4 inch unit is very beefy, so I think you need to make sure that that mount will hold the exhaust if the tailpipe gets caught on something . . .
Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 PM

I had my pipe clamp out, the one that went over that OEM bracket when I first inquired about this. Reason being is that every time I put the gears in reverse I got this rumbling noise that came from the down pipe touching something. Very irritating noise that is. So I took that clamp off and took a pry bar and pulled the pipe away from any frame and transfer case for a gap of about an inch. I believe the pipe was touching the floor pan right where I pass the transfer case and that was doing the rumbling noise. Put the clamp back on the support bracket and I'm at least 80% better as far as removing that noise. Still does it occasionally
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I had my pipe clamp out, the one that went over that OEM bracket when I first inquired about this. Reason being is that every time I put the gears in reverse I got this rumbling noise that came from the down pipe touching something. Very irritating noise that is. So I took that clamp off and took a pry bar and pulled the pipe away from any frame and transfer case for a gap of about an inch. I believe the pipe was touching the floor pan right where I pass the transfer case and that was doing the rumbling noise. Put the clamp back on the support bracket and I'm at least 80% better as far as removing that noise. Still does it occasionally
It takes quite a bit of tinkering to get these things the way we want them.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I believe the pipe was touching the floor pan
At least you got it fixed now!
Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
My black crew cabs 4 inch exhaust [Diamond Eye] touches the crossmember when the motor is shut off.
It taps it right when the motor rumbles to a stop.
It doesn't hit/rattle it when on the road though which is nice.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 PM

Yea the rumbling is coming back. Doesn't happen in drive at all. Only when I come to a stop and pop it in reverse and start backing up. I tried slipping an isolator cushion type material between the pipe and the floorboard but only made it worse by me hearing it while driving. Wish there was a heat proof spray foam I could apply to isolate the pipe from any close obstructions. Sorta like that canned expanding foam. Either that or completely disassemble the exhaust system and hammer in the spots that hit. That will be a bear, so saving that one for last

Quick Reply: To those of you that installed a 4" exhaust system