1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

thinking about selling

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Once again I find myself agreeing with T-Man.
I'll take peeling clear coat any day over unknown hidden "sins" under a fresh paint job.
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, fair enough. God point though. I am starting to wonder who buys these old trucks? Enthusiast? they must know about the clear coat. I have a couple of dents on the roof from 2x10. My thinking is that someone will call me on that.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Most reasonable folks understand the majority of these trucks were used at one time or another for work. Even if babied, after 20+ years dents and scuffs will happen. Having said that, there are those that will take every imperfection as an opportunity to knock the price down.

I always start at the high end of what I think it is worth. You can always go down if it doesn't sell fast enough (usually you'll have a list of folks waiting for you to call back if you reduce the price). If the first or second dude that looks at it buys it, you're left wondering how much more you could have made...
mknittle (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Once again I find myself agreeing with T-Man.
I'll take peeling clear coat any day over unknown hidden "sins" under a fresh paint job.
And another thing...

I know it's just a matter of time for a lot of folks, but i really HATE these threads that say I'm selling my 1st gen. To me, the entire premise of this thread is simply a reason to tell yourself ...

"that you're maybe, gonna, but don't really want to ....but thinking about it, and what do you guys think ? SHOULD I ???"

If you really were going to sell, just put the darn thing online and get rid of it, instead of stringing everyone along giving them hope you don't. That is the main feeling I get from most diehard fans of these trucks. They want you to keep it, as it continues the passion.

Besides.

You're kidding yourself if you think you're not just going to come back at a later date and say " I'm back ! I couldn't live without driving a 1st gen Dodge Cummins !!!! "

Happens all the time here.
Bob L (02-17-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
And another thing...

I know it's just a matter of time for a lot of folks, but i really HATE these threads that say I'm selling my 1st gen. To me, the entire premise of this thread is simply a reason to tell yourself ...

"that you're maybe, gonna, but don't really want to ....but thinking about it, and what do you guys think ? SHOULD I ???"

If you really were going to sell, just put the darn thing online and get rid of it, instead of stringing everyone along giving them hope you don't. That is the main feeling I get from most diehard fans of these trucks. They want you to keep it, as it continues the passion.

Besides.

You're kidding yourself if you think you're not just going to come back at a later date and say " I'm back ! I couldn't live without driving a 1st gen Dodge Cummins !!!! "

Sorry, but I am not sure if this is directed at me, but all I am asking for is the rough worth of these trucks. I am not an enthusiast and do not do any work or modify them. I use it as a truck. At the end of the day, It just a truck to me and like all mechanical things, I take care of them very well. Now, I am selling it for sure, its just how much? I would think the guys here know a lot better then me due to the wide range I see on craigslist or ebay. Like most things we sell, we all have some type of seller's remorse, but life goes on. If we want it back that badly,we can go out and buy another. No big deal.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 PM

The last time I sold a used car was 20 years ago, right after college. This was through a local news paper. Where would you guys suggest selling it? Craigslist, ebay (really don't want to ship, but on this I just might have to) or Truck Trader? I keep all my vehicles, and when they are worn or I get tired of them, I hand them off to my workmen. They appreciate that and are worth every penny to me.

I can see the BS coming when people buy a car long distance. They don't want to come out to look and upon delivery, they btich and btich and want their money back.

I drove 19 hours in my dirty 1st gen to see a Crew Cab Friday and came right back Saturday just so that I don't buy it blind and complain about it later.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 PM

Would you suggest I advertise it where there are higher percentage of people that would like to buy these trucks. Most people will not buy a truck like that in LA due to their size or age. Lots of people drive shiny new trucks here and diesels are not too popular (land of Prius and the like minded folks). What part of New York or...? Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by look171
Would you suggest I advertise it where there are higher percentage of people that would like to buy these trucks. Most people will not buy a truck like that in LA due to their size or age. Lots of people drive shiny new trucks here and diesels are not too popular (land of Prius and the like minded folks). What part of New York or...? Any suggestions?
I would list it in the for sale section of all of the forums, you are likely to find a buyer there. There is a feature on eBay, that you probably already know about, to see what the vehicles actually sold for, this is a good indicator of value, if there is enough of a sample. Don't be afraid of shipping, it couldn't be easier. I have an outfit that I have used 3 times, twice to Europe. I think that you should advertise it for sale worldwide on eBay, you are not going to find a bigger audience anywhere. All I ever did was hand the driver the keys and paperwork, title and such, and he did the rest. The shipper also handles all of the paperwork for customs and whatnot.

Also, don't be afraid to start at a "stupid high" price because you can always come down. Encourage the buyer to make an offer, you don't really want to be the first to come out with a price in negotiation. That is another good reason for a high price.

I would also list it on Craig's list and any place else appropriate, just be sure to say in your ad that it is listed elsewhere and that you reserve the right to cancel the other sales early in case it sells .,.Mark
Old 02-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
And another thing...

Besides.

Hmmm, I've been thinking about selling the race car. Just can't quite bring myself to do it though. Then I think about converting it to 12 valve power, but in reality that probably never happen. It would be a lot of work just to build a new front end that will hold the beast.